Freaky growth on blondi's abdomen

kennfreeloader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my 7" female blondi molted and appeared to have some sort of growth on her abdomen. I thought it was odd that there was a spot that wasn't darkened when she was in premolt (as circled in the first pic).

premolt

growth visible after she molted

She appears to be fine and doesn't show any "death-curl" signs yet. she tried kicking hair when I was cleaning her growth with an alcohol swab but there was no hair to kick. The white stuff was solid and appeared to be rooted in the abdomen.

does anyone have any idea about what I should do about it? it looks like an open wound and I'm thinking of super-glueing it.

*I would also like to add that I live in Malaysia so I don't use a heatpad since we have a tropical climate. I don't think she injured herself in my tank because I had a very basic setup, peat soil+waterdish.

I got her at this size about 3 months ago and do not know if she is WC or not since it was a 2nd hand import. (perhaps she could've gotten injured during shipping? not even sure if it's a result of an injury though)

Her tank was not always as wet as seen in the pic, I just wet it for her molting.

The spot on her abdomen that did not darken along with the rest of the abdomen was there since it i saw the first signs of darkening.

The spot is quite dry now and not wet and icky like it was in the picture. There are no visible leaks but the solid white stuff are still protruding. Dried abdomen in the below pic.

She molted about 5 hours ago and is resting. I'm keeping her in bone dry peat with a large waterdish. ICU is an option but she doesn't seem to be losing any fluid from the deformed area and has no sign of death curl. *

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You might check out this thread, it looks very similar to your problem.

How far is your substrate from the top of the tank? Is it possible that she could have fallen a distance that was greater than 1.5 her body length?

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that looks different than a stuck old molt. I think this is much more serious than that. Looks like a hardcore hernia or something. Her clock is ticking

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this does not look like robs blondi skin issu looks like you might have a parasite to me is she wc?

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont think that looks like robs problem either. Rob's T didn't have Hemolymph (spelling?) coming out of it's bum... I've never had any issues like this, sorry I cant be of more help....

Hank

Arachnopeon
It looks like it maybe a fungal infection. Try treating that spot with a non alcohol based iodine solution. It wont hurt the tarantula, and you have nothing to lose.

H.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think robc had a similar problem with his blondi.
Mine looked nothing like that :eek: My girl just had a [pioece of molt/deformed hair on her abdomen. My best guess with the Blondi above is a parisite infection or bacterial infection....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This could also be a weak spot in the exco!!!

kennfreeloader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for your feedback guys, I posted on another tarantula forum as well and someone showed me links of what looked like the same deformity on a blondi.

it's a polish forum so please bear with the translation.

click HERE to check it out.

it eventually molted and made a miraculous recovery
PICS OF RECOVERED BLONDI

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm in agreement with the take that it's a fungal infection or possibly bacteriological. Don't know what to recommend for treatment though.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
This is why I think I will stay away from this species. the only thing they have going for them is size IMO and that is not worth all the issues associated with this species.

Thanks for posting this, sorry that you have this issue. it almost looks like the new exo just didn't form all the way before the molt. Who knows? But one thing is for sure if she dies send her away to get tested for parasites or fungal/bacterial infection.

Sympathetically,

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was searching a completely unrelated topic but this came up. Good God this looks horrible!

Kenn, is your blondi still alive? I really hope it makes it to its next molt and fully recovers

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In the center of the wound it almost look like a grub tail.Try touching it with
a Q-tip and watch for movement.