fragrances?

blankbee

Arachnopeon
the only other thread about this was answered for tarantulas. not sure if it'd be the same for millipedes, but, i want to put one of those airwick air fresheners in my room. they release a scent to make the room smell better, however, i'm not sure if that'd be safe for my millis. i had the freshener plugged in for about a day before removing it.

does anyone know if it's safe to have the freshener in the same room as the millis? or would that harm them somehow? i know they don't need much oxygen to begin with but still. any answers are appreciated.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Sorry I don't know. The more I'm reading up on fragrances in general the less I think I want them in my house in the first place. I asked the same question on here previously and it was downplayed as though I was over concerning myself. (I probably was, I was asking about other products like Swiffers, hairspray, perfume, etc.) So now I just don't have a fragrance Air Wick in that room, and I keep the door shut from the rest of the house and continue to use candles and such as I wish.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Fragrances are known to kill birds and put children in the hospital with URIs. Just don't take the chance.

vyadha

Arachnosquire
Definitely not worth the risk. I make aftershaves and shaving soaps as a little hobby/side business.
Pure essential oils can have intense effects on animals and people, fragrances tend to have a myriad of synthetics that aren’t tested for safety.

Example: i had a pint bottle of a sandalwood bourbon fragrance that i was using because sandalwood EO pricey.
It spilled in my garage. As i was cleaning it my dog sniffed it and went into seizures. She was fine after a vet visit.
I know the airwicks aren’t as concentrated as the bottle i described but we just don’t know whats in a lot of these proprietary scents or how they effect critters.

If the bug room smells, find a hydrosol with minimal ingredients. These are very dilute and usually simple ingredients.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
The cautions when it applies to tarantulas are the same for any invertebrates (and for any pet really). Safe for humans doesn't mean safe for other animals. Some of them aren't really safe for humans either.

Rather than trying to cover the smells, find the source of any bad smells. Millipede enclosures should just smell like dirt, leaves and wood. Anything else most likely means there's either food rotting in there or a dead millipede.

blankbee

Arachnopeon
thank you all for your replies! i guess i won't plug the airwick back in, then, and i'm very glad i asked here before continuing to use it!
for clarification, nothing's wrong with my millipedes and their habitat smells fine, i just wanted some parts of my house to smell nice. however, i'll make sure to avoid using airwicks in the rooms around where i keep my millipedes.
thank you all again!!