found this gem under a huge rock with a huge web....anyone know what it is????

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
grass spider/funnel web spider/possibly a Tegenaria sp female from the look of it

garryb

Arachnopeon
awsome! thanks...looking up that name , looks like it is it. awsome.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Hey Gary, if you took this picture in WA state that's most definitely a Tegenaria spp.

I would bet that is a female Giant house spider, judging by the massive leg span and size, though it could possibly be a hobo (Tegenaria agrestis) which recent studies have pretty conclusively shown to not be the least bit dangerous or capable of necrotizing bites.

garryb

Arachnopeon
Hey Gary, if you took this picture in WA state that's most definitely a Tegenaria spp.

I would bet that is a female Giant house spider, judging by the massive leg span and size, though it could possibly be a hobo (Tegenaria agrestis) which recent studies have pretty conclusively shown to not be the least bit dangerous or capable of necrotizing bites.
thanks ciphor,
yup, it was caught right here in puyallup wa,lol. now in my home. its a ferocious eater! its awsome its already started to web .

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
thanks ciphor,
yup, it was caught right here in puyallup wa,lol. now in my home. its a ferocious eater! its awsome its already started to web .
Puy Fair! Can't wait for it this year. Your not to far from me, Buckley. If my suspicions are correct, that is a mature female Tegenaria gigantea.

They are intense eaters. If you captured her mature like that, this time of year, she is probably an old gal with not much time left on her life clock. If you want to keep her around for a bit, I'd slow her feeding down a lot. They like water a lot too, I give mine a bottle cap with fresh water every week, then feed her once every two weeks a small to medium sized cricket. Keeping her cold will help too. If you put her indoors in a warm room she will be verrrrrry fast. These spiders are the record holder for true spider land speed. Also, they can hold sperm for long periods of time, so given her age, she is almost definitely gravid, and after a big power fed, expect some egg sacs very soon (around 2 weeks)

While they look like mean spiders, they are actually some of the most docile spiders I encounter, they are very shy. I handle them a lot, but I can tell you if you do decide to handle her, make sure she is cold first, because if she is on you and decides to run, your gonna have a hell of a time trying to keep her off your face/back.