Found at the LPS Petco

SpiderLady79

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a new one for me they never have anything but rosies and pink toes so this was a supprise for me. It didnt really look like more then a rosie and I could not get a good pic cause the poor thing was huddled up in the back corner. What do you think about the price? I am NOT going to buy it I know better just wondering.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
if it's decent size and a female, i say go for it. you would find the same deal, if not more, here on AB. and after shipping, you would prob pay more here.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm

This species is occasionally found in LPS's, just not as frequently as rose hairs and avics. Pretty easy to care for species, and the price isn't bad. If it's captive bred it would be a pretty decent fine. Wild caught I generally turn down. My 2 cents.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If its an adult, $25 is a fair price, IMO. But I don't know why it says ''true'' zebra tarantula. As far as I know, A. seemanni is the only T commonly called a zebra tarantula.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its an A seemani ive seen that exact sign a few timea at local petco it was my first mystery T

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can't beat the price. sure beats paying for shipping. I have one and it's rather active.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have

I have heard of people finding "rose hairs" that end up being way better tarantulas ...i always look now when I go ;)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have heard of people finding "rose hairs" that end up being way better tarantulas ...i always look now when I go ;)
I used to have a field day like this with aquarium stores. Rare Corydoras catfish, tetras and cichlids can regularly be found mixed with the common stuff if you know what to look for. I haven't had that kind of lunk with tarantulas yet...

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its an A seemani ive seen that exact sign a few timea at local petco it was my first mystery T
Same here. Except they want $50. for it. It has been there for over a year and it took me half of that time to ID the thing. It always stayed under the coconut hut and had a bald butt.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, why is it all the Petco's near me never have Tarantulas? Is it just the ones in states that have breeders, or something? Cuz, i havent seen one in any Petco i ever been in for years. I did see one in one Petco in Texas a long time ago, though. I just thought they quit selling them.

RaginCajun

Arachnopeon
I used to work for Petco way back and they usually drop their Ts cause they dont sell. We got a H. lividium in once that sat there for almost a year before one of the employees took it home. I live in Dallas and several of the Petcos around here have rosehairs and avics. Every now and then youll see a seemanni but ive never seen them carry anything other than those 4 species mentioned above.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to work for Petco way back and they usually drop their Ts cause they dont sell. We got a H. lividium in once that sat there for almost a year before one of the employees took it home. I live in Dallas and several of the Petcos around here have rosehairs and avics. Every now and then youll see a seemanni but ive never seen them carry anything other than those 4 species mentioned above.
i wouldnt have bought one back then, but would now. so, that explains why thy dont sell them. much. most of the petcos around me, are always full of occupant coming soon signs anyway. they never have nothin. They have roaches, but they werent delivered there. they just walked in.

Last edited:

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a female its a good deal, and if it was a mm you could send him on a breeding loan say to me :)

jpet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If its an adult, $25 is a fair price, IMO. But I don't know why it says ''true'' zebra tarantula. As far as I know, A. seemanni is the only T commonly called a zebra tarantula.
Haplopelma albostriatum "Thai Zebra Tarantula", wouldn't want to confuse those two.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a tarantula from petco that was labeled as "Guatemalan red rump" It turned out to be a Sericopelma sp. "rubronitens" :} They didn't have any species specified on the tag either. That seems quote high for an A. seemanni though. If i remember correctly they are either 14.99 or 17.99... i can't remember... lol

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The way I price things, just being a decent sized adult T is worth ~$20, unless it is a G rosea, where it has to be a mature female and really good looking to be worth that much. But I think $20-25 is a decent price for almost any full grown T besides that one.

Keep in mind, though, that I am a terrible bargainer and would often overpay for stuff like this, so this could be a little higher than whatever the 'accepted' rates are. Personally, I would still buy it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Two things to remember when buying wild caught t's.....

1. You might bring home a nasty parasite that could infect your other t's
2. Every time you buy one another one will have to be pulled from its natural habitat to replace it. Not to mention what they have to go through to get into the country. Then, they have to sit in the store not being taken care of properly (most of the time).

Just my 2 cents.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Two things to remember when buying wild caught t's.....

1. You might bring home a nasty parasite that could infect your other t's
2. Every time you buy one another one will have to be pulled from its natural habitat to replace it. Not to mention what they have to go through to get into the country. Then, they have to sit in the store not being taken care of properly (most of the time).

Just my 2 cents.
boy, i agree with that. no offense, but most petco & petsmart stores, at least the ones around me, just hire bodies. it dont matter if u like animals, or not.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All other big box LPS issues aside, I am impressed with the data they have on the info card. Sci name, solitary animal, venom warning not too strongly worded.. they have all of it right except the humidity. 90%?