Found all my micro crickets dead...?

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Been away for a few days and came back to feed my slings, only to discover my micro crickets all suddenly dead, for the exeption of a few larger ones in the box that I have isolated and am keeping under observation. When I left them they were all perfectly healthy and active, didn't do anything different and have left them for longer before without any problems. Been feeding them on commercially available dried gut loading "bug food" and washed salad leaves for a little moisture. My medium and large crix all ok but kept in different boxes. I'm gutted as although only crix, I like to think I give the best possible care to my feeders too. Anybody had any similar problems?

jondee84

Arachnopeon
Id say either lack of moisture or too much moisture is what kills micro crickets. failing that possibly the cold over night or something mate.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
I can't seem to keep crickets alive long at all. I went to raising Dubia roaches, waiting for my colony to get bigger numbers before i feed from it though.

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Id say either lack of moisture or too much moisture is what kills micro crickets. failing that possibly the cold over night or something mate.
Thanks mate, when I opened the box it did seem a little damp in there so maybe too much moisture on the salad leaf I put in and not enough ventilation, should have been warm enough as placed on top of my fridge where the heat exchanger is will just take it on the chin and get another box on my way home tonight. Mark

---------- Post added 10-07-2011 at 02:08 PM ----------

I can't seem to keep crickets alive long at all. I went to raising Dubia roaches, waiting for my colony to get bigger numbers before i feed from it though.
Have no problem keeping them from small/medium when I buy them and keeping them through several molts to adult and then on for several months at a time, its the first time I bought the micro size as I've not had slings before, they were doing fine had them 3 weeks and then all but about 5 of the biggest ones completely gone in less than 48 hours! Strange but as jondee said probably the moisture level.

jondee84

Arachnopeon
My crickets have their own tank - they live for a good few months as well (unless eaten).

The tank they are in has their eggs crates stacked at one side, and at the other side 2 old jam jar lids, one with toilet roll; made wet so they can drink without drowning (needs replaced every now and then because of their poo) and the other jar lid is full of bug grub (a pre-made nutritional bug diet). Although porridge oats and crunched up fruit n fibre cereal works well.

They seem happy and my T's seem to really stay healthy from eating these!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dehydration or a chill most likely. High ammonia levels from waste can kill crickets easily as well. During winter, I keep my cricket containers in the closet. Once I even used a heat pad for muscle aches inside a crate when it was very cold. When I lifted the pad off the egg crates, there were crickets all over huddled together.

I give the pinheads and other little ones a moist ball of moss for moisture. The adults are the only ones that get a water bowl (with lots of glass globs so they don't drown..)

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
I keep my crickets in the same metal netted containers you take with you fishing. I keep a piece of egg carton for hides and I feed them slices of potatoes every two or three days. They get food and moisture from the potatoes. And they are fat crickets too. I might lose 1 or 2 cricks a week due to cannibalism. They live for well over a month this way sometimes longer. And at only $2.50 for 50 of em is a great deal for me.