Found a dubia outside?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This morning I found what looks to me like an adult female dubia, struggling in my cat water bowl in my front yard. I scooped her out and brought her in the house. I figure I can keep her as a pet, but I'm a bit concerned as to why she was out there to begin with, and I need some information so my mom doesn't flip out when I tell her.

I live in the San Gabriel Valley, in Southern California. Is it possible that these guys are thriving in this climate? My mom will freak out if that's a possibility. My only other idea is that a neighbor might keep them as feeders, and had an escapee. Please tell me that there's no possible way they could be living and breeding outside of captivity here. We find an occasional German roach here once or twice a year and my mom is very paranoid about that (though we use no poisons). I want to show her my find when she comes home later, but I need to be able to assure her that it was just a fluke, like finding someone's lost hamster or something, and it doesn't mean there will be more.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341780949.003870.jpg
She does have the orangish stripes on her back, but they didn't show up in the pic.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That isn't Blaptica dubia. Looks like a native cockroach species.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Really? Well now I just feel silly. I've never seen a native roach that looks like this, though. Are native roaches sexually dimorphic? Where the females have the short little wings? If so, then I've only ever seen males before.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like an adult female Blatta orientalis. If it's smaller than an inch it could be an indigenous Parcoblatta americana.