Focus On One Species?

Perocore

Arachnoknight
So for a while (that being about 6 months in the mind of a teenager) I'd been thinking of starting a breeding project with just a few brachypelma species, but I thought it over and now plan to work on the breeding of ONE species only (B. smithi). How many breeders do this? Focus only on one specific species to breed and sell?

And what are your thoughts on the matter?

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
You could sell most of them to re-seller in bulk instead of individually selling each sling.

You could also give a few to me. :D

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Already doing it with G pulchra. I have 10 females, 5 are mature. 7 males, 4 are mature. 9 juveniles, and a lot of slings from the sac I produced last summer. Hoping to get 5 sacs next summer.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Already doing it with G pulchra. I have 10 females, 5 are mature. 7 males, 4 are mature. 9 juveniles, and a lot of slings from the sac I produced last summer. Hoping to get 5 sacs next summer.
What would you do with all those slings? I'm guessing you would wholesale to several distributors, just curious?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Holy moly :eek: send a couple my way? :D

By September of this year I better be able to find a G. Puchra sling for $2 or you'll be hearing from me! :laugh:

Perocore

Arachnoknight
So with this level of production do you typically sell for lower than breeders who work with multiple species?

My main motivation is to sell one of the most popular species in the hobby, and arguably one of the best beginner species, at prices more affordable. And also to discourage the removal of wild B. smithi's from their native habitat.

What motivated you to work only with the G. pulchra's?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I honestly wouldn't do smithi because so many breed them. I would do what Scoolman is doing and pick a great species that known to be a great pet, like smithi or G pulchra etc, BUT that the hobby rarely sees. Or a good species that a lot like but rarely seen is B. albiceps

IF I was going to breed a species, I would pick an Avic, OR a Eauthulus sp Red or Eauthulus sp Yellow. While neither of those two is fully described, they are being WC for sale. They are probably THE best T in terms of docile nature (ie human tolerant), they are a small species too. However, they have a very slow growth rate, but you are a teenager so you have your ENTIRE life time to dedicate to this.. So I would pick up a couple of adults or at least females, and go from there. Just don't cross breed sp Red and sp Yellow because it is not known if they are the same species, some say Yes, some say No.

---------- Post added 01-12-2014 at 05:36 PM ----------

Holy moly :eek: send a couple my way? :D

By September of this year I better be able to find a G. Puchra sling for $2 or you'll be hearing from me! :laugh:
I guess you aren't familiar w/the phrase "supply and demand" ? heheheh

Heckapunchez

Arachnopeon
Ironically that is the exact species I am in search of currently. I think I only saw one dealer with them for 44.00 at the moment. I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ironically that is the exact species I am in search of currently. I think I only saw one dealer with them for 44.00 at the moment. I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for you.
Who are you directing your comment to?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My main motivation is to sell one of the most popular species in the hobby, and arguably one of the best beginner species, at prices more affordable.
But other people are breeding them too, and some year's they'll be a surplus and yours won't be worth as much. Prices in general are falling. I think it's too risky to put all your eggs in one basket, especially with so many people breeding spiders now, and it's only going to increase.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
What would you do with all those slings? I'm guessing you would wholesale to several distributors, just curious?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Sell some them to me lol.

Seriously. I have some of his slings. Y'all should see his setup. Very nice.

I don't focus on one species because I want a variety in my collection.

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
I have less than no experience with T's. However, I think that if you make them very inexpensive, you will have folks buying them on a whim. That can't be good for anyone...especially the tarantulas.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I guess you aren't familiar w/the phrase "supply and demand" ? heheheh
Of course I am, silly. ;) I'm hoping that after he produces close to 1000 slings within a span of months, the supply will GREATLY be higher than the demand.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That would be P. Becker.

Yes I sell below the dealers retail. I have no overhead, or profit margin to watch. I just do it because i enjoy it, and adore the species.

All my eggs in one basket? Nah. I have other species I breed, just not on the same scale I do with G pulchra. Actually I am going to get a large program going for P. sazimai.

As for "supply and demand", that only comes into play if I am desperate to move the slings out; sorry, but $2 G pulchra just isn't going to happen. I could whole sale a few, trade a few, retail a few, give a few away.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
As for "supply and demand", that only comes into play if I am desperate to move the slings out; sorry, but $2 G pulchra just isn't going to happen. I could whole sale a few, trade a few, retail a few, give a few away.
Oh darn :sarcasm: I'll still be keeping an eye out though! Even a little bit below retail is still a good deal :biggrin:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually I am going to get a large program going for P. sazimai.

Oh, EXCELLENT! I love the Blue Ts!! I saw that species when it was on a nature site and was like WOW. If you do that species and continue G. pulchra. I'll need a Tarantula Two-Pack from you!! :)