Florida Millipede ID Help Needed

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I just bought these off of a guy that travels around taking photos of many different speceis. As of recent I have been getting millipedes from him in attempt to breed and potentally sell. He said he found these in Gulf county Florida.

IMG_5504.jpg IMG_5505.jpg IMG_5506.jpg

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Try picking up the Peterson field guide for insects and arthropods of Eastern North America. It has very good morphological descriptions of the species. By the way when I was in Florida those millipedes glow under black light like scorpions which was really cool.

We only have the little millipedes here in NW Ohio. Nor do we have scorpions. Was looking for Florida Bark Scorpions with a black light and noticed all the glowing millipedes on the ground.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Try picking up the Peterson field guide for insects and arthropods of Eastern North America. It has very good morphological descriptions of the species. By the way when I was in Florida those millipedes glow under black light like scorpions which was really cool.

We only have the little millipedes here in NW Ohio. Nor do we have scorpions. Was looking for Florida Bark Scorpions with a black light and noticed all the glowing millipedes on the ground.
Thank you, I forgot to comment saying that I have ID'd these as tan morph N. americanus with the help of another board member who is a friend. I believe the darker one is the darker tan morph.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I forgot to comment saying that I have ID'd these as tan morph N. americanus with the help of another board member who is a friend. I believe the darker one is the darker tan morph.
Very cool millipedes though. I like the look of the lighter colored one.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Very cool millipedes though. I like the look of the lighter colored one.
Thank you. they came to me in very poor condition but after losing one I now have 9 as far as I can tell. the container they were in was entirely too small and I put them in a bigger container as fast as I could only kinda counting. These weren't bought from anyone so there's no one to blame, the friend who brought them to me doesn't know a whole lot about care. They're almost back to where they need to be health wise though many have burrowed presumably to molt. once they start coming up I will sex them and I hope to get some tan N. americanus babies.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I was going to suggest they might be N. americanus Tan Phase.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I was going to suggest they might be N. americanus Tan Phase.
The friend who helped me ID them @Millipedematt (NOT the same person who brought them to me) actually sent me your thread showing your collection. I thought they weren't N. americanus at first because they lacked the pink legs. You learn something new every day, especially in this hobby. Thanks again Matt.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +

We have Narceus annularis in northern Ohio which is bigger than the specimens in the thread photo (and a lot prettier). You have to look for any woods with even a small protected area of old growth which is quite rare in the bread basket.