Florida Key Centipedes

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
(or Scolopendra Alternans)

Hey,...

i was curious if the're others who keep this specie of scolopendra ?
(it's an American specie,... so it just can't be, that i'm the only one keeping these,.. here on the boards :?)

I want to know how others experience their behaviour.

Cheers

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Steven,
I just wish they were available in the UK.A very desirable pede to be sure. Nice colouration.
George

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
florida keys

hey steven i have them. if you are talking about the ones that are all orange than yes i have them

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Todd Gearheart has them
hehehe ;)
i got mine from Rob @ GladesHerp (Todd used to work there as i remember correctly)

@ScarryPoppins

are yours as shy as everywhere is described ?
(i know when a pede is all the time on top it isn't such a good sign)
But my Alternans burrow alot but they also come out and play with the slightest touch against their tanks,... seems like they know when it's feeding time {D

(i find them with the most showable pedes i keep :? )

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey steven. from what i know about them thay are lizerd eaters. i got mine from a friend of mine in florida who catches them for me. mine is about 9 inches long and is feary strang. i have found that most of the time its in a shallow borow with the antena sticking out and onec something runs over the antena he comes flying out and agresivly grabes what ever it is. i think this may be to catch lizerds in the wild. in florida there are tons of anoles and thay are fast. i think that the hole shy thing is just them hunting in ambush. because i have also seen that when thay are not hungery thay are all over the tank

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
scarypoppins said:
hey steven. from what i know about them thay are lizerd eaters. i got mine from a friend of mine in florida who catches them for me. mine is about 9 inches long and is feary strang. i have found that most of the time its in a shallow borow with the antena sticking out and onec something runs over the antena he comes flying out and agresivly grabes what ever it is. i think this may be to catch lizerds in the wild. in florida there are tons of anoles and thay are fast. i think that the hole shy thing is just them hunting in ambush. because i have also seen that when thay are not hungery thay are all over the tank
Yow Scarry,.. thanx for the reply

the thingy with the antenna's i've noticed to,... very intresting behaviour.
9" :eek: are you measuring from head to last segment or with antenna's and last leggs included ?

What's your opinion about the "Haitan & PortoRican Giants" to be the same specie as Alternans ???? (to my opinion they are differnt specie instead of just colormorphs :? :? )

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Steven,
I think the Haitians do not have the ring furrow but the Florida key do ( A Gigantea trate). I was thinking of getting the Florida key but still do not know what it is.

Bob

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Yow Bob,...
Alternans don't have a ring furrow,.. Haitans don't have it either
(which makes the Florida Key pede not relative to other American specie like Heros or Polymorpha, Viridis,... but more relative to Caraibian pedes, right ?)
But what makes me think the Florida's aren't the same specie like the Haitans is that they have a different shape of head,...

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm doing this from memory....not the best today! I think the Heros have the ring furrow. Anyway just wanted to say it is a key trait for identification. I am still looking for Gigantea. I checked out Jay's web site today....he is getting close to you in collection size!!

My sister in law is going to Peru in a few months. To bad she does not care for centipedes.

Bob

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Bob said:
I checked out Jay's web site today....he is getting close to you in collection size!!
what makes you think i've got such a big collection ???
Jay has many more specie then I,.. for sure !!!!

And about Peru,... ask her to take pictures if she comes across a big pede ;)

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
......having Gigantea gives you extra points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hell yea haveing gigantias gives you points. i may have a huge collection but i dont have the huge pede i realy want .I HAVE SAID IT ONCE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN "I HATE YOU STEVEN" . anyway why are you so serprized that the florida keys get big. the guy that gets them for me took some pics ffrom the feild and one of them is a 13 inch keys eating a 6 foot rat snake thay do get huge. but the thing is i have been to florida lots of times and never seen one.

as for the hatian puarto rican thing. thay have many differances there al just veary suttle

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
scarypoppins said:
hell yea haveing gigantias gives you points. i may have a huge collection but i dont have the huge pede i realy want .I HAVE SAID IT ONCE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN "I HATE YOU STEVEN"
;P ;P ;P

I will keep my mouth shut about the pedes i'm tracking down at the moment then,... (straight outta Venezuela,.. big,...mean and no Gigantea ;) ;P )

(if all goes well :rolleyes: )

Cheers St7

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you are talking about viridicornus i will personaly fly to belgum and rob you. ;P ;P ;P

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
scarypoppins said:
if you are talking about viridicornus i will personaly fly to belgum and rob you. ;P ;P ;P
start buying your tickets ;P

(i've been in contact with a venezuelean pede-keeper,.. he's gonna check out if he can ship to Belgium,...
he had caught some subadults pedes on a mountain,... viridicornis angulata by the looks of it (i've seen some pictures ;) )

(but hey,..it's a long shot but perhaps it can work out great ;P )

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the guy that gets them for me took some pics ffrom the feild and one of them is a 13 inch keys eating a 6 foot rat snake thay do get huge.[/QUOTE said:
Id love to see this pic if evr possible.

Thnx,
Mat