Flightless fruit flies

Mmm_Pies

Arachnopeon
Hi

I've got a very small Cholectonus Jonesii that i've been feeding flightless fruit flies to and i've bee nhaving problems getting the little buggers to stay in the tank. is there anyway to help improve the amount that stay in the tank? i've used the search function and it only came up with putting a pile of stones in the center of the enclosure and thats only approx 50% improved (from memory).

The other question i have is can anybody who knows any information about fruit flies please post it as some have escaped and need to convince my flat mate that the flies flying around my house aren't the same as my ones cause the only fly i've seen was approx 10mm and the caresheet i found said 1.5-3mm was the adult size of fruit flies. I showed him this and he still wasn't convinced but if i was able to show him other peoples opinions he'd be easier to sway so as i can buy more and not have to pre-kill crickets for the scorpion, which i don't even know if it'll take.

Any response on either issue would be much appreciated.

Mmm_Pies

Arachnopeon
I don't mean to be rude or offend you Kugellager but if you wish to point people to the search function please at least take the time to read the post. If you had you would have read this little excerpt:

"i've used the search function and it only came up with putting a pile of stones in the center of the enclosure and thats only approx 50% improved (from memory)."

So i had used the search function and i had already found what you were showing me.

I really do wish no offence with this post (and not only cause your a moderator but because you like scorpions and you have more experience than i can dream off).

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You dont have to stick to this site, you can use the search button on aol or internet explorer or whatever you have and you'll get more results.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Mmm_Pies said:
I don't mean to be rude or offend you Kugellager but if you wish to point people to the search function please at least take the time to read the post. If you had you would have read this little excerpt:
You're right...If I had taken the time I would have seen all you had written...sorry for being such an ass and falling into the trap of one of my own pet peves about people not reading the entire post/thread before replying to a post. :8o
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the question of escaping fruit flies...If your container is small enough you might try covering the top with paper towel or cheese-cloth before you place the lid on. The lid will should hold the paper towel or cloth in place. I usually keep my babies in a small kritter keep with the snap on lids. When I use wingless fruit flies I put a piece of paper towel on the top then snap the lid down in place...this make an escape proof container for them.

Of course some will still manage to escape when you pour them into your enclosure on occasion. You really do not have to worry about these as they will die in a few days anyhow. Remember the life span of most fruit flies is less than two weeks from start to death. The wingless species are already handicapped to begin with. Also, as you already know...they are not the same species as the much larger house flies you have been seeing around.

John
];')

Last edited:

Mmm_Pies

Arachnopeon
I know you can use other sites, but this site has the largest collection of keepers i've found and as i said i can find plenty of web pages to prove my point but my room mate refuses to believe me and hence why i was asking for other people if they'd be kind enough to post some info/links.

Kugellager thank you for taking time to say sorry and for taking it well to. I didn't want to offend you at any cost for afterall you seem to be the most knowledgable on fruit flies (i say that cause you did a study and i can't find anyone else's. hopefully with your tips i'll be able to keep the little buggers in the cage.

Thank you both for your replies :clap:

1 more question, won't putting a paper towel over the top of the kritter keeper run the risk of starving my little babe of oxygen or stop the airflow and make the air stale?

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
possibly, I think air would pass through the paper towel. I used to cover my emp with a real towel to keep in humidity, but that was just a one way ticket to mites!!