Fleas........enough said.

DustinGoliath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Who knows a way to get rid of flea infestation without bombing the house? Spiders good. Fleas bad.

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have carpet, you can use Borax powder. Sprinkle it on the floor and rub it in with a broom. I've done this before and they were gone pretty quick. Although I'm not 100% sure on any ill effects it may have on your T's. But if they're not on the floor, I wouldn't think it would hurt them.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Diatomaceous earth will work as well, You can get this from a swimming pool supply store.

Wade

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Diatomaceous earth will work as well, You can get this from a swimming pool supply store.

Wade
Ditto that on the earth, you can also use a small wattage light in the middle of the floor with a shallow pan of water next to it. The fleas are attracted to the light and then they drown

DustinGoliath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ditto that on the earth, you can also use a small wattage light in the middle of the floor with a shallow pan of water next to it. The fleas are attracted to the light and then they drown
I like this idea. No chemicals! Thanks guys! I'll try these ideas. I hate fleas. So do my dogs:D

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
The bad thing about treating the dogs is this....the fleas offspring can and sometimes do become resistant...the dogs have chemicals on them....
If the dogs sleep in a dog house or a doggy bed cover that with diatomaceous earth...or better yet bath your dog in it.
I give my dog an earth bath once every spring and have not seen a flea in 7 years.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Right, like microbes with antibiotics and anti-microbials.

However, I've been using Frontline for 10 years without any instances of infestations of fleas in my house, or on my dogs.

I've never seen an anti-microbial boast 100% effectiveness, and that's the problem. I have read literature on Frontline that claimed that 100% of the fleas that bit treated dogs died within 24hrs. I know it's hard to believe in 100% effectiveness, but if it's true (my experience doesn't contradict it), then resistance wouldn't be possible. So, DG what have you been using?

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The first thing you must do before any treatment is vacuum extremely thoroughly every square inch of the living space including furniture and then put the vacuum bag in a plastic bag and throw it away. If you use any dust type material you have to be very thorough and make sure all cracks and crevices are treated especially base boards. You should not leave the material down more than a couple days. Then vacuum again. The light and water treatment will not be thorough enough to eliminate a problem and will take a long time.

spideyjg

Arachnopeon
If you are going to use Diatomaceous Earth get the food grade. DE is silicone Dioxide and in the high crystalline form, the pool stuff, it is more hazardous that the food grade. Get a N, P or R 100 respirator to use to protect your lungs.

See this from the CDC and NIOSH on safety precautions for using DE.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0552.html

Food grade DE is amorphous silica and it will accelerate your vacuum cleaners demise.

Jim

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I learned a trick from an old farmer years ago..

Getting rid of the flea larvae is the first step to breaking the lifecycle. When the eggs hatch, the larvae live deep in the carpeting and bedding, feeding on dust mites and skin dander.

The solution: Good old fashioned Morton's Iodized Salt!!

Sprinkle it EVERYWHERE, and get it down into the nap and padding of the carpet, your pets' bedding, mattresses; anyplace where the fleas are laying eggs (the eggs look like tiny grains of sand, and will pop between your fingernails). The salt will desiccate the soft bodied larvae, once they hatch.

If you use this in combination with the other methods members have posted, I guarantee your flea problem will fade away quickly. I've been using salt rather than flea powder or chemicals for many years, now.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any updates on your flea problem? :) Hopefully, you and your dogs are not suffering any longer!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For those of you who have ever had fleas I found the miracle cure a couple days ago. My cat escaped for the first time ever and he brought home some guests. Needless to say I did not notice them until they had taken over my room. Since I have fish tanks and all my bugs I couldn't touch pesticides.

I was doing my best to use all the natual product. I used Borax... 3 boxes later and vacuuming every night my ankles were still getting covered with fleas as I walked through my room. I tried the Diatomaceous earth. I even used up all my salt. I tried all 3 at once. Nothing. The infestation continued to expand and leave me itchy and covered in marks.

Then one day I recalled getting TKO orange cleaner on a cricket. The cricket died within 30 seconds. Since it is made with the oil from orange peels I diluted it a bit and used a mist on my carpets. Fleas dying and convulsing every where. When I first sprayed I saw atleast 100+ fleas. I came back three hours later and found only 2 live ones. I sprayed again. I found none in the morning.

For good measure though, I also decided to nuke the eggs/larvae that may have survived in the carpet by using a rug doctor with the orange oil as the cleaning solution. I hope it destroys any eggs. But let's just say that when I saturated my carpets with the orange oil solution I found half melted crickets on my floor that were not there before.

So far no more fleas, 3 days and counting. Over 2.5 weeks of trying all the natural product and spending way too much, yet the solution to my problem was under my sink the entire time and worked instantly.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Should work for the eggs, larvae and adults. may not work for the pupae until they hatch out. So you may get a few more adults before final eradication. Growth regulators also work very well but there is some indication they are not entirely flea specific and could effect other inverts in the house as well.