flatrock breeding inquiry

woowe

Arachnopeon
I walked into one of my local petstores today to be confronted with the most massive scorpion i've ever seen.. I knew flatrocks got big, but jesus, this one was ginormous. I currently own a subadult that's only about 1/4 the size of this baby. I instantly thought of future breeding but then realized I don't even know where to start.. so here I am. First, can flatrocks be kept together without cannibalistic behavior(i'd definitely keep separate until closer to the same size)? Second, how do I tell the difference in sexes? And third, are there any special light/temperate/weather cycles I need to perform to initiate breeding in these guys? I've only been in the arachnid scene for about 4 months now, so any information or sites you can give me would be fantastic! Gracias amigos

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
many a welcome!!! :D
flat rocks are long lived, it will take yours a very long time to become the same size if it's only 1/4. also, i don't know if u can really stimulate them to breed, they just kinda do it on their own as far as i know, and babies usually boom in the spring, like..now! haha ;) . that's why there are lotsa babies being born lately i suppose. never the less i think if u like it, go for it, it sounds like it's definately full grown and if u can't get another mate for it there is always the possibility of a breeding loan. i'm sure there is one way or another u can get babies outa that puppy ;) . there are some pages u can go to...my PERSONAL favorites are www.petbugs.com, www.thescorpionfiles.com, and OF COURSE www.scorpionfauna.com (yay eric!)
p.s.-if i'm wrong on anything someone please feel free to correct me

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Flat rock scorpions cannot be kept communally. A male flat rock scorpion will have a much longer tail than a female of the same size.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hear that breeding is difficult with this species. I'm sure it has been done though. They probably have looooong gestation periods too. These are the Aphonopelmas of the scorp world lol

Norseman

Arachnopeon
Hadogenes

Nice sig. Blackhawk I love that song and the animated video is soo great. :worship:

I tried www.thescorpionfiles.com it wouldn't go through. Is it gone or a little different?

Yeah the tails have it for sexing Hadogenes spp. Males have a longer metasoma(tail) by a long long shot. Easiest(for me) to sex of any scorps. I don't even think you need to check the pectines to verify but it couldn't hurt. Good luck and watch out for those monster pincers :eek:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Speaking of sexing these guys...Whats the earliest you can sex these...I have 2 H.troglodytes that are probably alittle over the inch. I have a probably 4 1/2 inch H.paucidens(female). As adults/subadults easiest scorps to sex. But are they sexable at a young age like this?