First timer with a few Q's

warwizerd_30

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
Seems like a very friendly place and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.
I live somewhere in north Ontario where we arn't allowed to have T's.
It becomes very cold here for about 4-5 months a year and am hoping that the heat of the house will be enough.
Im thinking of getting a Brachypelma Albopilosum. (curly)
I'd like to know how thick of a layer of peat moss i should put in the tank. With electric head I should be able to keep the mold at bay.
And would like to know what kind of structure (if needed) to make my new friend at home.
I'm hoping to pick up the spider wednesday morning then i have an 8 hour drive home from my visit to Toronto.
Thank you for your help in advance,
War

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Welcome!

How big is the T and how big is the enclosure you are intending on using?

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

Depends on how big it is really. I generally stick with adults no matter what size 6" or under in a 5G tank. I would put about 2-4" of ORGANIC peat moss (personal preference) in there. It will need a water dish and some type of hide. The popular vote is a cork bark hide which can be picked up at basically any pet store. As long as Your temperature in the house stays about 65* then you are ok. I can imagin a house being that cold regardless in the winter time. Curlies like it dry btw. That all ya need?

Kris

warwizerd_30

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the quick responce

I have a 30 Gallon tank and the spider is apparently about the size of a quarter.
I read quite a bit in the starter posts, another thing i wanted to ask is should i have plastic plants in there aswell? or will this one not have the desite to climb?
Thank you again,

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brachys are terrestrial so 2-3 inches of peat moss should be fine, bit large on the tank size, no plants but a couple of hides and water dishes so it doesn't lose track. slow grower that could stay in a 5 gallon for a couple of years. lol in a 30 gallon you wouldn't need any more than spot cleaning for 5-6 years
Rev

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
at that size you need a .5 to 1 gal kritter keep or equivalent. Plants for decoration only. I would feel the tank half way with dry peat moss, keep a hide and a water dish without stones and deff NOT A SPONGE

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

plants make it look better. I wouldnt want a cage/tank with just dirt in it lol.. Sling that size will dig.

warwizerd_30

Arachnopeon
made some calls

The only peat moss ive been able to find so far is "spagnum", will this cause a problem?
also the hide, so far they seem to be of ceramic and plastic/poly.
im going to keep calling around. what is the benefit of corkbark?
Thank you,
War

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you just dont want anything additive chemicals in it. Sphagnum peat moss is fine. Look at back and look for the box which has the mixtures. If there is no added chemicals or anything then its fine. If it says organic than thats even better. I got mine at lowes.

warwizerd_30

Arachnopeon
While calling

While making my phone calls for orgaic peat moss I received the response "good luck" so im not going to get my hopes up on this. lol.
Ill buy my corkbark hides there aswell. since there arn't any here in my middle of nowhere city.
If there is anything else that's a staple I may have overlooked i'm more than happy to hear it.
you have all been very helpful,
Thank you

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If its abouhe size of a quarter, you may want to consider putting it in a deli container till it grows some more.
I don't put my guys in small KK's till they are at least 1.5" to 2".

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spaghnum might hold too much moisture for a brachy. If you can't find peat you can try eco earth or coco fiber from any pet store. plants are mostly for asthetics for that species and cork bark is just usually easily accessable and attractive you can use any non-toxic non-reactive material to make or use for a hide. broken clay or ceramic flower pots work well or anything the T can hide under.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get yourself a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz. It's the owner's manual and then some--considered by many to be "the Bible". You can pick it up on Amazon. It's a must have as well as a interesting, fun read.

--the nature boy

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a 30 Gallon tank and the spider is apparently about the size of a quarter.
I read quite a bit in the starter posts, another thing i wanted to ask is should i have plastic plants in there aswell? or will this one not have the desite to climb?
Thank you again,
a 4" deli cup is big enough for that spider. and a 30 gallon is big enough for an over grown T. blondi or a commune of chicken spiders lol way bigger than needed for a kinky haired T./