First time rasing baby Tarantula, Need advice

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats the show I was talking about. That sucks that you never saw a versi there because thats where I was planning to get one. I guess we will see what they will have this month, Im sure they will have something cool.
Good advice from Bill. But just showing up and finding something you never even considered before might be kind of fun too. :) (Heck, you'll probably do both, anyway!)

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I finaly took some pictures of the slings. It was much harder to get good pics than I thought it would be but heres the best I could do.

This is the 1/2" B. smithi. If you look close you can see him/her muching on his/her dinner.

Heres a few more...

Heres his/her home.

This is the 3/4" G. pulchra.

And his/her home

Last edited:

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you think of the G. pulchra, does he/she look like it will be molting soon. Does the abdomen look dark enuff?

Last edited:

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Super pictures! They're so cute!

And I'd say yes to the molting question...be sure to get some pics of that, too. :)

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice slings! I think I will have to get a Pulchra eventually.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about the Smithi? When it goes into premolt will the whole abdomen darken up or just the black spot on it? I keep hearing others talk about small smithi's getting a dark spot on there abdomen when there going to molt. Is this whats happends or will the whole thing get dark?

Also, will they always stop eating before a molt or is it possible to still molt even after eating a few days before?

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What you are seeing now on the smithi is just the patch of urticating hairs, which will grow along with the spider...

I really don't get a molt-warning in terms of color w/ my smithi, (which is still pretty small), but s/he sure goes off her food. Of course, since the new exo isn't going to be dark-colored for a while, anyway, there's really no reason the opisthosoma should look dark before a molt...

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Slings!

Not trying to ninja your thread Jerm, just wanted to add pics of my first slings! I ordered a GreenBottle Blue from Reptist, and he added a freebie to my order, a very tiny New River Rust Rump. :) I'm not a great photographer, but did my best to capture their spindly cuteness.

Aphonopelma sp. new river
This was taken just after a misting. S/he makes the coco fiber look like giant rocks!

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens S/he is a fast little thing!

Jerm, are you thinking about naming yours?

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats, Fyreflye! I'd say you did a great job getting pics of those minute little guys. :) "Spindly cuteness," indeed!

lmramsey89

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice, Jeremy. You're getting some very good advice. :) And FyreFlye, Yeah, I have a C. Cyaneopubescens as well. Teleport much?! sheesh. My A. Seemani does its fair share of teleportation as well...EVERY time I move the black fabric covering the top of the case lol

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I went to the reptile show last saturday and had no luck finding a versicolor at all. I looked all over the show and there was not a lot to pick out of in the size I wanted which was in the 2 to 3" in size. The did have a 2 1/2" B. smithi that I really wanted but I already have a sling so I thought I would like something different. So I decided on a 2 1/2" Nhandu coloratovillosus. Its a very cool looking spider and it was the right size. I picked it up for $35 and went home and did some research since I had no idea what I just bought.

After some quick research I find out that these things are monsters. They grow up to 9" and can have quite the little attitude. This is not a bad thing, but I just was not expecting it. Its a really cool tarantula though and Ill get some pictures up as soon as I can.

I guess Im just going to have to order the versicolor online if I going to get one because they are no where to find around here. I already have a cage all set up waiting to put one in, so Im going to start the search today and try to get one ordered.

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good choice. Nhandus are very interesting spiders--will be a nice contrast wih your smithi. :D

If you're going to order online (which I've always had very good luck with), you might as well order more than one...what with the shipping you'll pay.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree I almost always order at the very least 2 or 3.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep reading all different measurements, but most say 7 to 8". Thats also what they say in this thread....but well see what happends. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=20131

I just ordered a 2" female versicolor form reptistexotics.com. It should be shipped out tomorrow and I cant wait. I have a question though, will a versicolor still be blue when its around 2"?

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just ordered a 2" female versicolor form reptistexotics.com. It should be shipped out tomorrow and I cant wait. I have a question though, will a versicolor still be blue when its around 2"?
Yep they don't really get adult coloration until they mature. Sooner for males though, males will achieve adult coloration before they are sexually mature.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oooooh, nice pics!! And s/he's a doll. :)
Thanks. I cant wait for tomorrow because I expecting this exact T in the mail. I ordered her from Brandon from reptistexotics.com.

Heres her new home with out the fake lizard.

I never though this hobby would be so addictive, I mean I only started on 3/24/09 and Im on #4.

Last edited: