First time molt, stuck to the baby tarantula...

CrackTaxi

Arachnopeon
My tiny baby B. smithi molted for the first time, but i looked a few days ago and it was stuck to it's back. I wouldn't usually like to disturb it while molting but it's been 3 days now and the molt/skin is still stuck to it's back.

Here's a picture of it (sorry if it's not the best quality):

Is this normal? Can any of you help?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just gently grip it with some tweezers, you'll find the tarantula will most likely pull itself away from it. :)

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Either it will come of by itself or it won't, leave it alone.
That piece doesn't cover book lungs, chelicera or carapace so don't worry.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
That's what happened with my B,Smithi's last molt, and it looks to be going to molt tonight or by Friday at least, i done what the other's said and used tweezers to take it off, ether your smithi will take it of itself or as said a damp cotton bud will loosen the molt.

CrackTaxi

Arachnopeon
That's what happened with my B,Smithi's last molt, and it looks to be going to molt tonight or by Friday at least, i done what the other's said and used tweezers to take it off, ether your smithi will take it of itself or as said a damp cotton bud will loosen the molt.
OK then, cheers pal. I think i'll leave it until morning, that gentle tug i already gave the skin might have loosened it and it might drop off by itself in the morning.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

What an adorable B. smithi. Let us know when you've removed the molt.
Thank you very much :D I will be sure to let you know :D

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
OK then, cheers pal. I think i'll leave it until morning, that gentle tug i already gave the skin might have loosened it and it might drop off by itself in the morning.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

Thank you very much :D I will be sure to let you know :D
That's alright, it will come off one way or another so dont worry over it.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Had the same issue with my C. darlingi sling except she also had 3 withered legs inside the molt, I just snipped off the largest molt pieces and left her to it, it was pretty bad to the point she couldn't climb or barely web. I just gave extra humidity for the next molt (which was 3 days ago) and she molted out perfectly with a voracious appetite as I was underfeeding her to make sue of no other complications.

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Just had my B,smithi molt last night Yeea, had the molt on it's abdomen i just used tweezers and it came off.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Cool :) How old and big is he/she?
Not sure how old she/he is, but i got her a month before his/her first molt in my care, molt dates first to last are, 26/10/12 (.83"), 16/5/13 (1"), then last night/this morning, 4/7/13 looks to be (1.2-3") so grown but slowly as they do lol, so roughly had him/her for 10 months so far.

CrackTaxi

Arachnopeon
Not sure how old she/he is, but i got her a month before his/her first molt in my care, molt dates first to last are, 26/10/12 (.83"), 16/5/13 (1"), then last night/this morning, 4/7/13 looks to be (1.2-3") so grown but slowly as they do lol, so roughly had him/her for 10 months so far.
Nice! Getting rather big then :) Mine's still smaller than a 5p coin haha :D

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Nice! Getting rather big then :) Mine's still smaller than a 5p coin haha :D

Yours has alot of growing to do, so does mine's lol, you'll start seeing coloration within the next couple of molts, could be more but yours should molt every month to second month, that's what mine's done.

CrackTaxi

Arachnopeon
Yours has alot of growing to do, so does mine's lol, you'll start seeing coloration within the next couple of molts, could be more but yours should molt every month to second month, that's what mine's done.
Awesome :) I hope so :D