First Theraphosa blondi molt

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Well, the Theraphosa blondi I got from Fran in early March is molting! I am so excited! It was around 3" when I got it, maybe smaller. It has been so dark, black black dark, for about a week now. I swear I've checked every five hours everyday since it got so dark to see if was molting yet :} Went out for dinner and saw it wasn't molting yet when I left, came back about an hour later and it was on its back! That was about 7:30 PM central! Hope to get the exuviae and see if its a boy or girl! Just so excited had to share, heh.

PICS!

Before molt, with it's best friend Mr. Quarter. The friendship didn't work out and Mr. Quarter moved out soon after this pic was taken.

Nom nom nom Lobster roach, before molt

Taking a nap... errr... molting I mean

LET ME GO OLD SKIN!

Feeling much better now!

Don't mind me, just gonna chill and rest here a moment...

ZOMG FACE HUGGER!... err... false alarm, sorry...

Will post more later tonight or tomorrow perhaps, she's (hoping) still on her back at the moment.

-Dominatus

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, the Theraphosa blondi I got from Fran in early March is molting! I am so excited! It was around 3" when I got it, maybe smaller. It has been so dark, black black dark, for about a week now. I swear I've checked every five hours everyday since it got so dark to see if was molting yet :} Went out for dinner and saw it wasn't molting yet when I left, came back about an hour later and it was on its back! That was about 7:30 PM central! Hope to get the exuviae and see if its a boy or girl!

PICS! SOON! PROMISE!

-Dominatus
Congrats!!! Give it a couple of days and its gonna start feeding like crazy! ;)

---------- Post added 04-27-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-26-2011 at 11:08 PM ----------

Really cool :)
But please! Make sure that stone is set up really safe and sturdy, you dont want T soup :(

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Valid concern. Heh, it sure is sturdy though. I get flagstone and hand chisel out different shapes and make kewl burrows. Its fully supported with no way for the T to dig out its support. The structure free stands and is rock solid (no pun intended) even when there is no substrate in the terrarium.

-Dominatus

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Theraphosa molts are always a bit stressful. My juvie female is in premolt and I am anxious.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awesome! how much did it grow?? when my 3" parahybana molted he\she grew 1.5" and is now a 5" cricket vacuum lol wow T. blondi looks really cool as a juvi!

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
UPDATE

Mr. Quarter made a temporary truce and visited the T. blondi for a photo shoot, still wont move back in though :( :p {D
Post molt, of course.

My guestimation is they put on at least .75", maybe even 1", but no more than that.

-Dominatus

Last edited:

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosa molts are always a bit stressful. My juvie female is in premolt and I am anxious.
I lost one in a molt. she was also almost 10" and I did have her for years, but it still stinks! For a long time after, i stressed every one of my others T's molts. good luck, Dominatus! :)

Last edited: