First Tarantula

Arachnopeon
I don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that fast, defensive, OW tarantulas are a poor choice for beginners. Can it be done? Of course. Is it prudent for experienced keepers to suggest them to young people who are new to the hobby and seeking advice? IMO, no.
I'm not trying to pick a fight by any means, but I feel that you're overhyping the difficulty of the OBT. Out of animals I've kept in my life a tarantula does not rank very high on the advance scale. Don't get me wrong the OBT surprised me with its speed, but I knew to be expecting it. It still doesn't compare to the red tail hawk I use to keep for hunting (I was licensed before anyone starts talking about the legality). That bird was much more dangerous and harder to take care of than any tarantula. The only reason I bring this up is we have no idea what kind of animals this guy has had before, and by saying the OBT is advance you're making it sound like a teleporting black mamba with eight legs that will die if you look at it wrong. I just don't see why everyone says you should never keep one as a beginner, there is nothing really that special about them other than their speed and there potent venom, that's still not lethal.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that fast, defensive, OW tarantulas are a poor choice for beginners. Can it be done? Of course. Is it prudent for experienced keepers to suggest them to young people who are new to the hobby and seeking advice? IMO, no.
Absolutely. A few people can manage OBT's right off the bat, but the vast majority can't, and they're a poor recommendation for beginners. The average newbie has no idea, in spite of how much he's read, just what's it's like dealing with several inches of 'orange fury.' They grow fast and get very defensive at 2-3." There's no rush. No extra points for diving in the deep end without experience. And most of all, there's ususally other people living in the house, including children, along with cats and dogs. None of them should be bitten by an escaped T.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Absolutely. A few people can manage OBT's right off the bat, but the vast majority can't, and they're a poor recommendation for beginners. The average newbie has no idea, in spite of how much he's read, just what's it's like dealing with several inches of 'orange fury.' They grow fast and get very defensive at 2-3." There's no rush. No extra points for diving in the deep end without experience. And most of all, there's ususally other people living in the house, including children, along with cats and dogs. None of them should be bitten by an escaped T.
Of course, there aren't any "extra points", but I don't want to start with a pet rock.
I'm considering myself as really careful.. How? Well, look at me here.. Asking a bunch of questions and such, I want to be careful and make a good decision.
I'm never careless, I don't plan on poking and prodding at a T, and I don't plan to really handle it if extremely necessary.. I already took safety measures with my Emperor, putting velcro on the lid so it won't come out and stuff.

I did the research, fully understand how certain T's are very aggressive, and how some only use biting and running as a form of defense, and such.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course, there aren't any "extra points", but I don't want to start with a pet rock.
I'm considering myself as really careful.. How? Well, look at me here.. Asking a bunch of questions and such, I want to be careful and make a good decision.
I'm never careless, I don't plan on poking and prodding at a T, and I don't plan to really handle it if extremely necessary.. I already took safety measures with my Emperor, putting velcro on the lid so it won't come out and stuff.

I did the research, fully understand how certain T's are very aggressive, and how some only use biting and running as a form of defense, and such.
Then you need to get a dog or something. All T's are either pet rocks, pet holes or pet wall rocks. There are beginner species. Whether you like it or not you should start with those. If you want to go against all the advice in this thread then go ahead and do so. You have been warned and I won't be surprised when I read a bite report with your name in it. The last thing we want to see is that, let alone a dead T because you reacted wrong or you flinched and it got squished or thrown across the room. Heed the advice you have been given. Quit arguing.

Taranto1989

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want a more advanced T thats attractive, active and, fast I would go with a Poecilotheria regalis. They get big but because they're tree tarantulas you can orientate the 10 gallon on its end with a plexiglass hinged lid. Before you open the tank bump it a few times to make the t hunker down and you can do what ever you need to in the tank. That should meet your criteria and they are cheap Paul does have them and I buy from him exclusively keep his number he will answer any time you call him(within reason).

cerialkiller

Arachnosquire
You are looking for a t that's not boring?? Just fyi , they don't throw parties with you , t's are basically pet rocks but some you have to be cautious with , as a beginner you really should heed the warnings and advice you have been given , some t's will not hesitate to dig their fangs into you It depends on their attitude all t's have different temperament no matter witch one you get , my Chaco attacks anything and everything including her water bowl , yup I said the bowl and God forbid you come near her with a soft bristle brush, my obt has gone arborial and has never shown aggression but like I said all are different, good luck with witch ever way you go..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If you want a more advanced T thats attractive, active and, fast I would go with a Poecilotheria regalis.
This thread is titled 'First Tarantula.' To suggest a Poecilotheria is bad advice for a beginner. The genus shouldn't even come up in this thread. Reading and research does not take the place of working with spiders; it's a lot a different when it's inches away from you.

---------- Post added 07-28-2013 at 03:37 PM ----------

I'm never careless, I don't plan on poking and prodding at a T...I did the research, fully understand how certain T's are very aggressive, and how some only use biting and running as a form of defense, and such.
If you're as careful and thoughtful as you say you are, you wouldn't have to urge to start off in the fast lane, that's not where guys with learner permits belong. 'Research' only goes so far; you can't learn to swim by reading about it. If you're looking for 'exciting' T's, that's another sign of a newbie about to get in over his head. There's no one else living with you, no cats or dogs? They can get drug into this too.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I'm not trying to pick a fight by any means, but I feel that you're overhyping the difficulty of the OBT. Out of animals I've kept in my life a tarantula does not rank very high on the advance scale. Don't get me wrong the OBT surprised me with its speed, but I knew to be expecting it. It still doesn't compare to the red tail hawk I use to keep for hunting (I was licensed before anyone starts talking about the legality). That bird was much more dangerous and harder to take care of than any tarantula. The only reason I bring this up is we have no idea what kind of animals this guy has had before, and by saying the OBT is advance you're making it sound like a teleporting black mamba with eight legs that will die if you look at it wrong. I just don't see why everyone says you should never keep one as a beginner, there is nothing really that special about them other than their speed and there potent venom, that's still not lethal.
Except we do know his experience - his first post states his experience is limited to an emperor scorpion for a couple months. Based on the op's own words, advice was given. And your last statement is kinda funny - nothing special about OBTs except the speed and venom. The same could be said about the black mamba you mentioned - aside from the speed and venom, they're nothing special either. ;)

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I always say that you don't truly understand the speed of some of these T's until you see if with your own eyes, which is something that research will not prepare you for. so that is why its best to start with tricycle before you start with a cross country bike

Taranto1989

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The OP is going to do what he wants I just gave him my opinion. An OBT is far more advanced then a Poecilotheria IMO, ive never seen a threat display from any of my pokies but my OBT makes my heart stop sometimes. The guy wants a t thats not "boring" just respect the animal and do your research you will be fine. I stand by what I said OP you need to understand that an OW t is not a pet to pull out and show your friends. This is a very fast dangerous tarantula is all we are trying to say. It wont kill you but it can go wrong fast.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also consider A. geniculata - Giant White Knee. Mine have always been great eaters, grow fast, nice coloration. I am not sure of the cost of juvies and slightly larger than juvies but the slings I have gotten were really inexpensive and grew FAST. Can anyone chime in?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Also consider A. geniculata - Giant White Knee. Mine have always been great eaters, grow fast, nice coloration. I am not sure of the cost of juvies and slightly larger than juvies but the slings I have gotten were really inexpensive and grew FAST. Can anyone chime in?
Much better choice, and more visible too.

---------- Post added 07-28-2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

Except we do know his experience - his first post states his experience is limited to an emperor scorpion for a couple months.
Seems like every couple of months we get a beginner that arrives with a lot of commotion, asks advice and ignores it, and wants to start with the advanced species because he's 'done the research' and is fully prepared. Then it doesn't go well for him, he gets very quiet, and in a little while start asking about the calmer, beginner species we first recommended. Always seems to be a male who apparently feels he has to prove something; women seem to know better and take it in stages. Why do these guys argue with us and think they know more than people who have been doing this for decades?

Will240393

Arachnopeon
Seems like every couple of months we get a beginner that arrives with a lot of commotion, asks advice and ignores it, and wants to start with the advanced species because he's 'done the research' and is fully prepared. Then it doesn't go well for him, he gets very quiet, and in a little while start asking about the calmer, beginner species we first recommended. Always seems to be a male who apparently feels he has to prove something; women seem to know better and take it in stages. Why do these guys argue with us and think they know more than people who have been doing this for decades?[/QUOTE]

Personally i'm beginning to think he want's it just to show off to friends.

Dark Nexus

Arachnosquire
I agree. My first was g.rosea, my second is b.smithi. Why do people want to jump up? I personal thought the g.rosea was awesome.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Personally i'm beginning to think he want's it just to show off to friends.
That's probably the motivation for a lot of them. Doesn't do you any good to get a spider you become afraid of. That does not impress anyone.

kalebo1

Arachnosquire
I really don't see why this guy can't start off with a B. smithi or something similar that has beautiful colors and is a great beginner T.

Will240393

Arachnopeon
I really don't see why this guy can't start off with a B. smithi or something similar that has beautiful colors and is a great beginner T.
They're "boring" but i don't know what he expects the OBT to do.

Last edited:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
They're *boring* but i don't know what he expects the OBT to do.
I bet he expect what he has seen of them in youtube video. see all these videos of defensive spider being bother and seeing them taking down a mouse or see these elaborate webbing setup they make. It wouldn't be the first time

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. Or B. vagans, B. albopilosum, G. pulchripes, etc. Lots to choose from that are avid eaters and grow at a good pace.