First successful breeding of any kind.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
And boy, was it easy!

Okay, okay, I only bred L. geometricus. They'd probably breed anywhere. Sad to say though, the female did end up eating the male.

The female has laid 4 sacs now, all in different developmental stages. The earliest laid has eggs with legs crawling around inside. I opened the sac to get a peek. The babies are white but very mobile. Hopefully I haven't damned them by opening but I think they'll be alright.

Just excited about this, however I don't know what to do with all the babies?!

I'm thinking of just letting them eat each other until I'm left with a winner or two. We'll see. If I do keep a bunch alive I could sell them if I can find a buyer I guess. I'd rather trade honestly. Not sure if there's a market, even trade, for egg sacs. How would one even ship egg sacs (would prefer just shipping out sacs than cutting and packing dozens of straws again lol).

Well, just wanted to share with people who might care, lord knows nobody around me gives a hoot.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Not any of the little moving babies. My camera would never be able to do so but I have a couple of the egg sacs. The brown widow girl is so small too! I just couldn't believe she was an adult.

Okay, I got two pictures.

The camera actually only taped about 5 seconds so I deleted it

View attachment 118978 View attachment 118979

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Congrats! Always cool to experience your first successful breeding project.

I do hope you're ready for all the sacs, tho - L. geometricus females have been recorded laying 33 sacs! <-- pretty sure it was Widowman10 that recorded this.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Can't forget widowman. I have bothered him many a time with questions lol. In fact, I have already asked him questions about these sacs lol.
Btw, she laid a fifth. The first is still healthy looking with babies moving around inside the sac. The others appear to be coming along but laying on the substrate it's hard to get a good look inside and with the flash light.

Here's something weird I haven't seen before. S. gross spun an empty sac. Nothing in it. Just air.

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Widowman is the bomb. :D

That's weird about the S. grossa - I had an A. aurantia make 3 empty sacs... had her since a tiny sling, never mated. I opened one of them and it was very odd!

Sounds like the one geo sac is doing good!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
One of the little babies decided I was disturbing him to much and came out and refused to go back in. Poor little guy, he doesn't even get to start the actual competition.