First snake?

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
. by unique i just want something thats not found normally in pet shops. thats all. not something thats unique in the hobby.
All the snakes mentioned in this thread(with exception of rubber boas) are all "pet shop" snakes.

Why not try to contact breeders of snakes you like, and see if perhaps they have a retired breeder, or older snake that will fit your budget.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im kinda scared that it wont have a cool side of the tank to cool down. not sure if thats a big deal or not but i figured i would ask you guys first.
It's definitely a big deal, snakes can get heatstroke/hyperthermia just like any other animal. It's not pretty. :(

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another snake I always seem to forget about that makes a great starter is the African house snake. They come in a few different color varieties, are relatively inexpensive, rarely fuss at all when it comes to feeding, stay small, and breed like crazy, if you're so inclined.

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Think i pretty much narrowed it down to a Scarlet Kingsnake. I have always loved the colors on these guys, and they seem to be easy to care for. Probley gonna try the whole "unique" thing when i get some more experiance and money lol.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Think i pretty much narrowed it down to a Scarlet Kingsnake. I have always loved the colors on these guys, and they seem to be easy to care for. Probley gonna try the whole "unique" thing when i get some more experiance and money lol.

Good luck finding a scarlet kingsnake, let alone one that's CB and eating mice instead of lizards. There are several other species of milksnake that look pretty similar, though, and are much easier to find. Coastal Plains milksnakes come to mind.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are getting a first "anything", you should always get something very common that is considered easy to keep. A nice ball python would be a good place to start.

Maybe that instead of looking for a kind of snake, you should look for a really good dealer and ask them what they recommend.

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Childrens pythons are also good, and most are very docile, grow fast, but only get 3 1/2 feet long. They are hardy and easy to care for.

I recommend frozen-thawed to cut down on the possibility of disease or mites from the mouse.

You would still need a heat source to provide a temperature gradient, so the snake can regulate his own temperature.

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck finding a scarlet kingsnake, let alone one that's CB and eating mice instead of lizards. There are several other species of milksnake that look pretty similar, though, and are much easier to find. Coastal Plains milksnakes come to mind.
They same pretty common at the shows near were i live. Found a couple from a breeder that were only about $59 per hatchling.

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please please read up on any information on any snake you think you might want. DO not listen to pet stores..
Ball Pythons are NOT good beginner snakes.
They do require a specific type of husbandry.
I have rescued 8 ball pythons in every type of situation, not one of them correct to date.
they require 2 identical hides. They have to have aspen or other moisture capturing substrate. NO pine or cedar.
They have to have a "cool" side and a "hot side.
They HAVE TO HAVE a thermostat, UTH, and humidity gauge, a thermometer on each side to regulate the hot and cool side.
The cool side must be about 80-84 degrees, or 78-82.. the hot side 90-92.
With 50-60% humidity.
They do NOT do well in a big giant tank.. a 30-40 gallon breeder is perfect for AN ADULT.. if you have a 20 gallon and a small 2 foot snake, you will have to clutter it up for them to feel safe.
They are not arboreal, they don't need a climbing tree.. they are an underbrush type snake.. so need lots of "underbrush"...
There are a lot of great forums and information out there.
King snakes, and corns, are a lot of fun, and great snakes, for a first time snake keeper.

Carol

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ball pythons are great beginner snakes, I started on one myself. They are not, however, good snakes for beginners who don't know or care what the spotted heck they're doing. But that goes for most animals, it's just more severe in the case of this species.

Their care is easy, you just have to get it RIGHT. It's not difficult to get it right, either. :D

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please please read up on any information on any snake you think you might want. DO not listen to pet stores..
I have rescued 8 ball pythons in every type of situation, not one of them correct to date.
they require 2 identical hides. They have to have aspen or other moisture capturing substrate. NO pine or cedar.
They have to have a "cool" side and a "hot side.
They HAVE TO HAVE a thermostat, UTH, and humidity gauge, a thermometer on each side to regulate the hot and cool side.
The cool side must be about 80-84 degrees, or 78-82.. the hot side 90-92.
With 50-60% humidity.
They do NOT do well in a big giant tank.. a 30-40 gallon breeder is perfect for AN ADULT.. if you have a 20 gallon and a small 2 foot snake, you will have to clutter it up for them to feel safe.
They are not arboreal, they don't need a climbing tree.. they are an underbrush type snake.. so need lots of "underbrush"...
There are a lot of great forums and information out there.
King snakes, and corns, are a lot of fun, and great snakes, for a first time snake keeper.

Carol
What's so hard about that? Sounds like a snake enclosure to me.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

News flash...every animal will require a specific type of husbandry. Your post just sounds like your over exaggerating basic snake care.

That is suitable for a ball python to live and breed in. Very basic, very easy, and simple for anyone with half a brain to keep healthy.

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dumerils boas.
Stay under 6 feet, excellent eaters, a little high strung, but not generally nippy, pretty forgiving when it comes to husbandry. I'd recommend them over ball pythons for a first boid any day.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dumerils boas.
Stay under 6 feet
Males, not females. I've heard of (not seen personally) some females that reached 8' or 9', and I've seen more than a few that were 7'.

copper89

Arachnopeon
I could sell you a juvi timber rattle snake for less then 50 bucks and you sure as hell aren't going to find one at petco but that doesn't make them special and it doesn't mean you should get one. i understand what you mean by wanting a unique snake I have a couple but i have also been keeping snakes for 15 years, most of the more exotic specias have special care requierments( not all but most) it would most likely be a more injoyable experiance if you started with something easier. this is just my opinion and do not mean to tread on any toes.
I might recommend something like everglades rats, or like above a nice amazon tree boa, More exotic go with a spotted python from down under there easy.
copper

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My biggest concern is the heat in my bedroom. like i said it stays at 80F. i read that 80-85 is great for snakes but how would i make a cool spot of the tank?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My biggest concern is the heat in my bedroom. like i said it stays at 80F. i read that 80-85 is great for snakes but how would i make a cool spot of the tank?
If you can't cool your house/room down to accomodate a reptile's needed temperature gradient, you can't keep a reptile in your room. There's no way around it.

Also "for snakes" is not very specific. It's great for SOME snakes for PART of their needed temps.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another snake I always seem to forget about that makes a great starter is the African house snake. They come in a few different color varieties, are relatively inexpensive, rarely fuss at all when it comes to feeding, stay small, and breed like crazy, if you're so inclined.
i second this reccomendation...there cheap and not usually found at petco

plus they are really cool looking

http://www.kingsnake.com/housesnake/gallery.html

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They aren't cheap or easy to find but no one has yet mentioned rosy boas. I have a 2 year old male coastal and he is a real sweetheart. They aren't hard to take care of, are docile and gentle, and don't get very big so room isn't a problem.