First Scorpion - C. vittatus

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I received 3 C. vittatus from BrianS earlier this week and have just got them settled in. I never thought I'd own a scorpion and really didn't think that I'd like these at all. However, I have to admit that they're pretty cool. ;) Much more active and colorful than what I expected.

I have them in a small setup at the moment, which I'm assuming that will last until they get a little bigger. Brian told me that there is 1 male and 2 females, but I don't know how to tell them apart. I've been doing some reading on housing and other basic stuff and I think they'll be okay in the setup I have them in. Please let me know if I need to change anything or if the size is too small.

Also, if anyone can tell which one is male and which are females I'd appreciate the info. :)

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the male will have longer tail segments than the females. Thats about the easiest way to sex Centuroides I believe. Hope you like em, they are cool lil critters.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whats the white thing in the lower corner?

Centruroides are great scorpions, I don't have any of the C. vittatus yet, but I have a few other species.

Males will have enlongated metasomas (tails). Most notably the last 2 segments.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Very cool Becca. I love this species. They are great little scorps (with the stress on little). I haven't kept any for awhile, but I actually just ordered two today.

Raan is right, the males of this species, like other Centruroides, have longer, thinner segments in their metasoma. Here a link to a pic of a male C. vittatus that shows how much longer and thinner they appear. However, many times this difference isn't apparent until their final molt.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow!! They look good Becca!!! I'm glad you like them :)

haroldo359

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got some from brian too (scorpions that is) and i love them. out of all the scorps i keep... this i my fav ssp.

congrats.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
whats the white thing in the lower corner?
It's a paper towel that is slightly damp. I didn't have any more lids on hand so I put that there temporarily as a water source.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
It's a paper towel that is slightly damp. I didn't have any more lids on hand so I put that there temporarily as a water source.
ah, OK
scorps won't be able to draw water from it, but they'll appreciate the humidity it will help maintain

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
ah, OK
scorps won't be able to draw water from it, but they'll appreciate the humidity it will help maintain
If it were wet enough, they could, but I have found that paper towels turn slimy rather fast when used in caps/dishes. I did some experimenting and discovered that regular white bath-tissue placed in bottle caps stays fresh for three to four days. All but one of my scorpions have this water arrangement and seem to prefer it to standing water. The evaporative properties add the needed humidity as you mentioned, but I vary the size of the dishes and the number of holes in the lids to maintain specific %'s.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haroldo359 said:
btw... do you live in GA or Tenn?
I actually live in Georgia, but only about 1/2 mile from the TN border and I work in Tennessee. Although I usually will claim GA much faster than TN. ;)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've been playing around with my new camera, so I thought I'd add some more pictures.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
buthidae46290 said:
Very nice quality pics! How much would a camera like that cost?
I just got the camera and I'm still learning how to use it, so I'm pretty sure that the pictures could be a bit better than what they are. I bought this camera for about $450.