First Pokie!!!

Element

Arachnopeon
This is a bit of a fun one. I’ve got my first Pokie on the way and I’m a bit obsessed atm. I am getting a Rufilata and next paycheck I’m planning on getting a Subfusca and the noobtrap... er... Metallica! So I’ve been working on transfers and I own 6 Psalms and a bunch of Avics to get me better prepped for what feels like forever and I’m finally taking the plunge! So since I’m like a kid in the candy store help me with your Pokie stories!

What was your first Pokie and why? What’s your favorite Pokie now?
Stories and pics are welcome!!!

PS. I’m sorry I’m so obsessed atm. I’ve been dreaming of this for a long time.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
My first was regalis because that's basically everybody's first. I think my favourite right now is formosa, but that changes daily and I don't own one yet. No pics right now, but my regalis is in premoult so I can't wait to see those awesome contrasting colours and yellow warning legs!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Congrats! Pictures don’t do them justice. They are truly gorgeous animals.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is a bit of a fun one. I’ve got my first Pokie on the way and I’m a bit obsessed atm. I am getting a Rufilata and next paycheck I’m planning on getting a Subfusca and the noobtrap... er... Metallica! So I’ve been working on transfers and I own 6 Psalms and a bunch of Avics to get me better prepped for what feels like forever and I’m finally taking the plunge! So since I’m like a kid in the candy store help me with your Pokie stories!

What was your first Pokie and why? What’s your favorite Pokie now?
Stories and pics are welcome!!!

PS. I’m sorry I’m so obsessed atm. I’ve been dreaming of this for a long time.
Congratulations!!!!!! Pokies aren't any harder to transfer etc than other arboreals so you'll be absolutely fine.

If I had more room I'd definitely have more than my 3. Truly stunning tarantulas.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Once there was this great deal on Craiglist, and Poecilotheria metallica was included.

9575FEE3-A39E-4AA4-8A93-93070D5475AA.jpeg

So yeah, Poecilotheria metallica is my first pokie for me.

37BC7878-7244-47A8-84DE-D7A207CD652F.jpeg

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I bought a rufilata and smithi (that turned out to be a subfusca...) as my first. I currently have rufilata, subfusca, smithi, formosa, regalis and metallica. My favorite without a doubt is the rufilata. She just molted a couple of days ago so I’ll have to get some good pics!

Last edited:

kylepeach

Arachnopeon
Mt first pokie was a p. metallica and I really want a p. regalis

IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0423.jpg

My metallica just molted the other day :happy:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My first was a P. subfusca "lowland" back then. Turned out to be a male. Raised the guy to adulthood, then sent him off to meet a nice female of a good friend of mine. In return, I received a couple P. miranda and P. fasciata slings. Never ran into any problems. But that subfusca MM was the most docile Poecie I've ever seen. That boy was so chill that I've never once received a threat posture even and he rather huddled down than ran like he could have.

I remember when I prepared to send him off, I literally had to use my tongs to lift him up - he wouldn't move. So move tongs beneath T, catchcup in other hand, push gently. In the end I had him sitting on the tongs and basically brushed him into the transport container with the catchcup. Was insanely cute. Sadly, despite him having cohabbed with said female, no sac came of it.

Element

Arachnopeon
Beautiful pics! I personally love Regalis and Ornata too but I gotta stop the addiction somewhere (until I get a house of my own I’m quite limited on space and roommates are anti-arachnid people). @The Grym Reaper i knew you wouldn’t fail me on the pictures. Your T’s and photography are gorgeous! @BoyFromLA I’m definitely jealous of that deal! It’s got some drool-worthy spiders on that list! @basin79 yeah that’s kind of the problem I have right now. I have a little room but... not for long if everything keeps growing like it is now. I gotta plan for the collection to reach max size
F224E93E-4660-4DD6-9858-5D4C57B6E439.jpeg E26F0134-872D-4847-AB9D-6ADEAD126A6B.jpeg Most of my collection is still small and I’m probably gonna replace the bookcase with a utility shelf just to house what I’ve got!

Element

Arachnopeon
My first was a P. subfusca "lowland" back then. Turned out to be a male. Raised the guy to adulthood, then sent him off to meet a nice female of a good friend of mine. In return, I received a couple P. miranda and P. fasciata slings. Never ran into any problems. But that subfusca MM was the most docile Poecie I've ever seen. That boy was so chill that I've never once received a threat posture even and he rather huddled down than ran like he could have.

I remember when I prepared to send him off, I literally had to use my tongs to lift him up - he wouldn't move. So move tongs beneath T, catchcup in other hand, push gently. In the end I had him sitting on the tongs and basically brushed him into the transport container with the catchcup. Was insanely cute. Sadly, despite him having cohabbed with said female, no sac came of it.
Sorry to hear that! I’m super excited for my Subfusca Sling (hopefully a female?) and a lot of what I’ve seen of Subfusca is just little dolls compared to my psalmopoeus monsters lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Still - be prepared for anything. Don't get lured into security. As for Psalmopoeus being monsters - how dare you, Sir?! They are the most adorable, cutest, most misunderstood species in the hobby! They just want hugs! :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
First was regalis.

Now I'm collecting species # 8 and 9 next Wednesday. :)

Best genus out there. No downsides at all.

Element

Arachnopeon
Still - be prepared for anything. Don't get lured into security. As for Psalmopoeus being monsters - how dare you, Sir?! They are the most adorable, cutest, most misunderstood species in the hobby! They just want hugs! :)
You couldn’t be more right. These aren’t Avics and I don’t handle anything as a general rule and treat everything as if it can bite me. But any T can and will surprise you (particularly the ones that seem sweet and docile) Most people get bit when they least expect to be bit (duh) but even if you review bite reports on pokies, it’s usually because the individual did not respect the spider’s capacity to bite.

Pardon my overstep on the huggy nature of Psalmopoeus species. I wish I had a picture of mine dripping venom to show here to further illustrate how huggy they are. Such snuggly little guys and gals!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's right! Psalms are just Snugglers! There ya go, bud! :D

A little anecdote: I have a C. versicolor that is the most voracious arboreal I ever had! For the last year and still ongoing, she's going nuts whenever I open the cage to feed her! Jumps at the tongs, jumps on my hand if she misses the tongs and then getting all frustrated she missed the food - so she holds her legs up and wants hugs too...*grins*. Seriously, that girl is a little terror - on the funny side :D

PS: She didn't try to bite me really - so far. :)

Element

Arachnopeon
That's right! Psalms are just Snugglers! There ya go, bud! :D

A little anecdote: I have a C. versicolor that is the most voracious arboreal I ever had! For the last year and still ongoing, she's going nuts whenever I open the cage to feed her! Jumps at the tongs, jumps on my hand if she misses the tongs and then getting all frustrated she missed the food - so she holds her legs up and wants hugs too...*grins*. Seriously, that girl is a little terror - on the funny side :D

PS: She didn't try to bite me really - so far. :)
My Versi is a little doll. Still about 1.25” after about almost a year when I bought it at .75 so I haven’t really gotten to see the adult form yet!

Actually my most problematic arboreal actually is my A. Purpurea sling. It’s a little nutcase

First was regalis.

Now I'm collecting species # 8 and 9 next Wednesday. :)

Best genus out there. No downsides at all.
they are hard to say no to. I’ve decided that anything that looks like a regalis isn’t worth having more than the regalis because there are so many that look very similar to it with subtle differences. Like with or w/o warning bands small patterning differences on different legs, etc. that’s probably me being an uncultured swine but that’s the way I see it right now. And it keeps me from buying all the Pokies!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Those purpureas are quite photosensitive actually. I've raised quadrouples a few years ago, they look stunning once adult! But they are very reclusive and quite skittish.

As for the versicolor - that very same female was totally chill as a sling and sub-adult - she only started to become a pig after maturity. Probably just another strong independent woman...who'd probably kill a guy if I'd have one. Oh - wait! That's right - she did kill one! :D

boina

Lady of the mites
My first was a P. ornata - and it was one of my weirdest tarantula buying experienes ever. I had ordered a 4" female - and got a 3" male :meh:. Of course I complained by mail, but didn't hear anything back. Two weeks later, though, I got an unannounced package with not one, but two more 3" ornatas. Turned out one was another male and one was finally the female I wanted. I think the seller was just running out of space and was unloading a few males... Both males went on to hopefully make more Pokies.

I think rufilatas are my favorites, though. My three juveniles are very visible and chill and I hope at least one of them is female (two are already sexed as males...:()

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My first was a P. ornata - and it was one of my weirdest tarantula buying experienes ever. I had ordered a 4" female - and got a 3" male :meh:. Of course I complained by mail, but didn't hear anything back. Two weeks later, though, I got an unannounced package with not one, but two more 3" ornatas. Turned out one was another male and one was finally the female I wanted. I think the seller was just running out of space and was unloading a few males... Both males went on to hopefully make more Pokies.

I think subfuscas are my favorites, though. My three juveniles are very visible and chill and I hope at least one of them is female (two are already sexed as males...:()
Sp highland or subfusca?