First OWT, which will be best?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Its cool. You see them around alot at my house. I recently hatched out a S. calceatum sac. Over 100 babies. Hope that helps get them more into the hobby. I have a second female that is gravid, and the original female has molted, and been paired again too.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that they were a good beginner species, only that you don't see too many around. Everyone seems to go for pokies.
I really should have worded it better, it was early in my time and was still blurry eyed

I haven't had a problem with them myself, but I've never had any issues with my old worlds.

I do agree with the general thought of getting a P.irminia though. They are pretty, fast, and have the higher venom punch like old worlds but
To a lower degree.
I wouldn't be without mine and I prefer them to other new world arboreals. In fact I prefer them to my pokies.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's pretty much why I thought it was OW. It has alot of tendencies that OW arboreals have. It acts just like my H. maculata.
No reason to feel bad over the mistake. Psalmopoeus are definitely different from your typical NW species, so it's easy to see how it can happen.

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that they were a good beginner species, only that you don't see too many around. Everyone seems to go for pokies.
I really should have worded it better, it was early in my time and was still blurry eyed
No worries at all. I figured that was probably the case, I just wanted to clarify in the off chance that was the case or for anyone else that may be reading.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
P. cambridgei aren't OW.

-Sesame Sam, I don't mean to say that anyone can't gain the experience necessary for an OW. Nor that people should avoid them. But I certainly wouldn't consider them a good "beginner" species, just as I wouldn't suggest a large python for a first time snake owner. Many are capable of doing so and are fine. But a beginner species, in my opinion, are those for which there is some wiggle room should accidents/mistakes arise.
thanks for clearin that up homie

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's why Psalms are considered a kinda "bridge" species. Being NW but having the traits of OWs. *shrugs*

As to the OP: I'm getting a Heterothele villosella female sometime this or next week. Those are OW (Africa), super-fast, heavy webbers, considered dwarf species (hardly getting over 2" - 2,5" from what I read) but obviously seem to be more skittish than defensive. Only thing that I am pondering about is that I haven't read any bite reports about them, but was told their venom is comparable to H. mac?

Anyways, might be also a T to consider. They do look really pretty.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 2nd type of T after G. rosea was Poecilotheria pederseni. Just take your time and be carefull not to get bit you'll be fine with whatever your choice, and there are ALLOT of choices out there thats for sure lol my advice is get what you like best.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
... or for a different arboreal maybe a Stromatopelma calceatum.
Yeah, maybe not quite yet.
If you're dead set on OW, P regalis.
They're easier than some NWs like Psalmo and Tappie.
However, everyone can use more experience. Try a more skittish/defensive Avic like urticans or diversipes. They've each been a handful to me!

Good luck!