First old world?

emarie

Arachnopeon
I want to get an old world tarantula, but am unsure of what to get. None of my current ts are aggressive, and barely flick hair. Currently have Lasiodora parahybana (salmon pink bird eater) , Grammostola rosea (rose hair), Hapalopus columbia (dwarf pumpkin patch), and Maraca cabocla (brazilian redhead).
Preferably terrestrials!
Any suggestions are appreciated

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
None of my current ts are aggressive
Of course: T's aren't aggressive, but defensive :pompous:

Preferably terrestrials!
Keep in mind that when it comes to OW T's doesn't exist something like the classic NW 'terrestrial', maybe even often visible like a A.geniculata is, but only arboreals and obligate burrowers (we can discuss about the fact that certain species are less burrowing-maniacs than others, but still).

I wouldn't even bother to enter into debating your experience level (not my business) so here my advice: try with a Ceratogyrus darlingi, or Ceratogyrus marshalli.

Amazing T's, easy to care, on the cheap side (a detail that never harms), pretty often available (at least here), perfect for enter into the OW's :writer:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I would start with a sling stage also, to grow with it being your first old world.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My Harpactira pulchripes is a real doll. I got it as a 2 maybe 3rd instar little sling and it is definitely more on the shy side, but still never bolty or defensive. I'd heartily recommend this species as a first OW.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OW T.'s for any beginner should always start off as a sling. From experience from OW T.'s I would suggest C. darlingi, C. marshalli, and the Augacephalus genus from my experiences so far. Just note that almost all OW terrestrials are either burrowers or pet holes, so you won't see them as much. My pick would be the A. ezendami for sure, if were narrowing it down to cost, availability, and care. I mean they're not that easy to find, but they're certainly the better choice for a beginner into OW.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
OW T.'s for any beginner should always start off as a sling. From experience from OW T.'s I would suggest C. darlingi, C. marshalli, and the Augacephalus genus from my experiences so far. Just note that almost all OW terrestrials are either burrowers or pet holes, so you won't see them as much. My pick would be the A. ezendami for sure, if were narrowing it down to cost, availability, and care. I mean they're not that easy to find, but they're certainly the better choice for a beginner into OW.

I see C. Darlingi and C. Marshalli recommended always for first OW. Is it because they are easy to care for? Or have better temperaments than most OW species.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I see C. Darlingi and C. Marshalli recommended always for first OW. Is it because they are easy to care for? Or have better temperaments than most OW species.
I currently own 5 C. marshalli and 3 C. darlingi and they web quite the storm into the burrows and substrate. If you give them substrate depth, they just tend to mind their own business. I find most OW terrestrial T.'s the same if given substrate depth and privacy. And yes, I put them on my list because they're super cheap, available, and quite easy to care for. I bought my 5 C. marshalli for $5 a piece and later bought my 3 C. darlingi around $8.50 a piece. I mean they're not too special besides the horn, but if you had to go against price, availability, and care, then these guys are hard to beat.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I tell you my opinion. Those are a cheap and pretty often available species, basically, and with that (IMO amazing) horn that is always able to fascinate :)

About the easy to care part, let's be honest, barely every African species (save for few exceptions) are incredibly easy to care for T's.

For instance, H.pulchripes make a perfect OW for start, but the price may be not so friendly for everyone. A.ezendami are perfect as well, but not so always easy to find like a C.marshalli.

That's why during decades those two species reached the status of 'perfect OW's for start' but just a little note about the temperament: I know that temperament always vary, but they aren't exactly 'calmer' like a lot of people always said/say.

They are on the somewhat nervous side, for me. At least every specimen I've had and own today :kiss:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I currently own 5 C. marshalli and 3 C. darlingi and they web quite the storm into the burrows and substrate. If you give them substrate depth, they just tend to mind their own business. I find most OW terrestrial T.'s the same if given substrate depth and privacy. And yes, I put them on my list because they're super cheap, available, and quite easy to care for. I bought my 5 C. marshalli for $5 a piece and later bought my 3 C. darlingi around $8.50 a piece. I mean they're not too special besides the horn, but if you had to go against price, availability, and care, then these guys are hard to beat.
I tell you my opinion. Those are a cheap and pretty often available species, basically, and with that (IMO amazing) horn that is always able to fascinate :)

About the easy to care part, let's be honest, barely every African species (save for few exceptions) are incredibly easy to care for T's.

For instance, H.pulchripes make a perfect OW for start, but the price may be not so friendly for everyone. A.ezendami are perfect as well, but not so always easy to find like a C.marshalli.

That's why during decades those two species reached the status of 'perfects OW's for start' but a note about the temperament: I know that temperament always vary, but they aren't exactly 'calmer' like a lot of people always said/say.

They are on the somewhat nervous side, for me. At least every specimen I've had :kiss:
Ok I was just checking that I didn't miss anything special about these species. Now here is my take on it.

You are getting into OW species, or asking whats a good first old world. Chances are you already have some husbandry experience under your belt, you have kept multiple NW species, so you know how to keep a tarantula alive. Which there are alot of nice looking OW species that are super easy to care for other than the 2 yall recommend. So other than price why not recommend others? Price shouldn’t matter to much to someone that is already keeping T’s. They may have an eye for something more colorful. I just don't see why these 2 species are recommended 90% of the time. Its almost like it has been programmed in our brains to say get a C. Marshalli or C. Darlingi.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any Ceratogyrus spp./A. ezendami/M. balfouri/P. muticus

Although based on what you currently keep I'd recommend getting one of the Ephebopus spp. instead tbh, they're a good bridge between NW & OW terrestrial/fossorial species with similar speed/behaviour/temperament but without the venom potency (although a bite will still ruin your day IIRC).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok I was just checking that I didn't miss anything special about these species. Now here is my take on it.

You are getting into OW species, or asking whats a good first old world. Chances are you already have some husbandry experience under your belt, you have kept multiple NW species, so you know how to keep a tarantula alive. Which there are alot of nice looking OW species that are super easy to care for other than the 2 yall recommend. So other than price why not recommend others? Price shouldn’t matter to much to someone that is already keeping T’s. They may have an eye for something more colorful. I just don't see why these 2 species are recommended 90% of the time. Its almost like it has been programmed in our brains to say get a C. Marshalli or C. Darlingi.
I do agree with you with the price issue. I mentioned that only as a detail (a detail that IMO never harms, as I've said, no matter the 'wallet') but it's anyway a fact that (during time and in general) cheap T's were/are always an evergreen, for a reason (direct purchase) or another (like frebies etc).

Cheap T's because those are pretty easy to breed species so barely always available in the trade, as we know.

Now, not considering the price, there's that horn... a unique feature. The fact that, speed talking, they aren't 'Pokies' or else. The venom potency, not powerful like the P.murinus one (a thing to consider, no matter, for those that never owned inverts on the potent venom side). Visibility may be nice. Last but not least, super easy to care. So it's a mix of those reasons that IMO turned those two species (in fact other Ceratogyrus spp. are less owned and less discussed) so famous :)

For instance (at least here in Europe) now C.lividus are kinda cheap as well (and I'm talking about sexed juvenile 0.1) but that defensiveness and care require a bit more of experience, so it's not a typical average suggestion for me. Same for P.muticus (the care part, not too much the defensiveness of the spider because once settled they disappear). I'd love to consider those things, on my suggestions.

Now while I do agree with you (as said prior) with the price tag of a spider, consider this: someone that never cared for a Theraphosidae that require the keeping of certain parameters (including ventilation, IMO often underestimated) for living, purchase... I don't know, a 0.1 H.devamatha and said bugger dies because the owner wanted a species he/she lacked the experience for. Well that sucks no matter, even if that someone is millionnaire.

That's why I prefer to suggest (unless someone directly ask about certain species) sorta bulletproof and "friendly" T's as first/starter OW's :writer:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I do agree with you with the price issue. I mentioned that only as a detail (a detail that IMO never harms, as I've said, no matter the 'wallet') but it's anyway a fact that (during time and in general) cheap T's were/are always an evergreen, for a reason (direct purchase) or another (like frebies etc).

Cheap T's because those are pretty easy to breed species so barely always available in the trade, as we know.

Now, not considering the price, there's that horn... a unique feature. The fact that, speed talking, they aren't 'Pokies' or else. The venom potency, not powerful like the P.murinus one (a thing to consider, no matter, for those that never owned inverts on the potent venom side). Visibility may be nice. Last but not least, super easy to care. So it's a mix of those reasons that IMO turned those two species (in fact other Ceratogyrus spp. are less owned and less discussed) so famous :)

For instance (at least here in Europe) now C.lividus are kinda cheap as well (and I'm talking about sexed juvenile 0.1) but that defensiveness and care require a bit more of experience, so it's not a typical average suggestion for me. Same for P.muticus (the care part, not too much the defensiveness of the spider because once settled they disappear). I'd love to consider those things, on my suggestions.

Now while I do agree with you (as said prior) with the price tag of a spider, consider this: someone that never cared for a Theraphosidae that require the keeping of certain parameters (including ventilation, IMO often underestimated) for living, purchase... I don't know, a 0.1 H.devamatha and said bugger dies because the owner wanted a species he/she lacked the experience for. Well that sucks no matter, even if that someone is millionnaire.

That's why I prefer to suggest (unless someone directly ask about certain species) sorta bulletproof and "friendly" T's as first/starter OW's :writer:
Well said my friend!!! Are you sure your not a car sales man? LOL. I knew there was more reasoning to it, but have never cared much for the horned species because I think they look funny. But after your post you have inspired me to put it on my next purchase list if the horn is as neat as you claim, ;), BTW i will name it Chris79, or maybe Johnny5. :angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well said my friend!!! Are you sure your not a car sales man? LOL. I knew there was more reasoning to it, but have never cared much for the horned species because I think they look funny. But after your post you have inspired me to put it on my next purchase list if the horn is as neat as you claim, ;), BTW i will name it Chris79, or maybe Johnny5. :angelic:
Well, the horn is a unique feature and, yes, fascinate a lot of people (viewed in real life is impressive, especially after a molt) but tastes are tastes, at the end, so you may have people not interested/not fascinated by that.

Just like for colours... for instance, a lot of keepers aren't too fond of brown/brownish T's, I love those. That's why I don't bother to debate colours etc :)

emarie

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will definitely look into the ts suggested and update with what I decide!!

cold blood

Staff member
C. marshalli and darlingi are both good, but IMO the best choice is A. ezendami.

One of the least defensive and bolty OWs out there. 20190425_165302.jpg

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I wasn't fan of those horns but then I decided to get myself a C. darlingi anyways due to their "calmness" and definitely can recommmend this one. My girl has around 6cm and she's great! She's a new addition but so far she hasn't given me any troubles. I was expecting her to disappear in burrow immediately, however at first she decided to make a huge castle of webbing and then made a burrow in the middle of it.
And I think I'm actually growing to love that horn of hers :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
C. marshalli and darlingi are both good, but IMO the best choice is A. ezendami.

One of the least defensive and bolty OWs out there. View attachment 306692
Wow, this one almost looks pink!

Another vote for the A.ezendami. She's one of my calmest spiders, NW included, unless it's rehousing time, but no spider likes that.

I'm not recommending a Ceratogyrus, I don't know about the other species in this genus but my C.sanderi is the most psycho spider I own. And that includes my Poecilotheria and Ephebopus. Not sure what I did to piss that little one off, but it will come charging out of its burrow if I open its tub. And it's only 3 cm DLS :astonished:

emarie

Arachnopeon

Of the 4 I have, 3 I got as slings. Is there a significant difference in the difficulty of a NW sling compared to an OW sling?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Of the 4 I have, 3 I got as slings. Is there a significant difference in the difficulty of a NW sling compared to an OW sling?
It's better to buy an OW as a sling if you're going into OW for the first time. So that you can adjust to keeping one as it grows with your experience, if you get a OW T. as a larger or adult size T., then it's going to show more threat postures and aggressive behaviors in comparison to and OW sling that is most likely going to be skittish and run around.