first old world

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
Been deciding for a while which one should i get ?
Togo starburst baboon
Cobalt blue tarantula , what would you recommend ? Been in the hobby for many years

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Ready for your first OW? Ceratogyrus sp. are recommended a lot. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Togo starburst baboon
Cobalt blue tarantula , what would you recommend ? Been in the hobby for many years

Neither of those. Both are fast and unpredictable. The best first OW's are Ceratogyrus. Sometimes they'll stand up and spread their fangs when disturbed, but don't race out of cages like the two you mentioned. You don't need one of those loose in your house. At least not yet...

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
+1 to the two before. Honestly can't think of any other besides possibly M. balfouri, and Ceratogyrus still are better than that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus lugardi, also, are nice. They are in general more calmer than Pterinochilus murinus.
genus Augacephalus are fine as well for Ceratogyrus.

Edit: High five for your avatar, man. The 'Queen' rules :angelic:

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Togo starburst baboon
What species do you keep currently? Just curious, as I'm thinking about getting into OWs at some point in the near future as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Rose hair tarantula but i have been around a death stalker scorpion and obt
Then i wouldn't suggest an OW at all, man. What 'been around' means? If you have owned an 'OBT', then you HAD an OW ;-)

"Been around" + Grammostola rosea = a no, for me.

Think of all those beauty NW T's out there, man. Trust me.

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
Rose hair tarantula but i have been around a death stalker scorpion and obt
My uncle is like a expert he has a death stalker scorpion , obt , alligator , he said it would be cool if i got one no problem would be likely to occur wit my first OW

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Then i wouldn't suggest an OW at all, man. What 'been around' means? If you have owned an 'OBT', then you HAD an OW ;-)

"Been around" + Grammostola rosea = a no, for me.

Think of all those beauty NW T's out there, man. Trust me.
Maybe he used to go out with them for drinks after work or something?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My uncle is like a expert he has a death stalker scorpion , obt , alligator , he said it would be cool if i got one no problem would be likely to occur wit my first OW
Did you have direct contact with the OBT as far as husbandry? Like feeding, cage maintenance, re-housing?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah I jumped into OWs quick, but just owning a G. rosea and your uncle having dangerous exotics as YOUR experience? NONONONO! Boy oh boy, you still need some more time. This would be like me handing a venomous colubrid to some kid as a starter.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
he said it would be cool if i got one no problem would be likely to occur wit my first OW
Bad advice. Reminds me of the statement loved by the heroin addicted of the '80 we had here in Italy:

"No problems, i quit when i want" lol, they ended up bad.

Also, according to your profile, you are 15. Again, bad advice. Couldn't disagree more. No offence.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
First OW I got was Poecilotheria Ornata. Best pick? Probably not but there comes a first time for everything. After reading that you are 15 and you "never picked the obt up" I would say you have a long way to go before you get an OW.

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
First OW I got was Poecilotheria Ornata. Best pick? Probably not but there comes a first time for everything. After reading that you are 15 and you "never picked the obt up" I would say you have a long way to go before you get an OW.
okay thanks for the advice but he always told me it cant be picked up because it is very nasty

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
Bad advice. Reminds me of the statement loved by the heroin addicted of the '80 we had here in Italy:

"No problems, i quit when i want" lol, they ended up bad. i don't just own a rose hair i have a snake and a few lizards been at this since i was 9

Also, according to your profile, you are 15. Again, bad advice. Couldn't disagree more. No offence.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Listen to me :)
There's a world full of amazing NW T's. T's like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, for instance, that can teach you a couple of things.

Don't lose that opportunity. I can guarantee you that there's underestimated NW T's better than some OW.

There's no need for useless fast tracks.

There's a reason also if i pointed out your age. You are young, and a bite (first thing first, who said only one bite? They are able to deliver multiple in a row) from a Pterinochilus murinus is a serious thing. No one died so far, ok, but trust me and the others here on that.