First OBT help plz

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stress??
As this species is so defencive is it much more suseptable to stress?

Is there a way to tell if its stressed and can it put them off the feed etc?

I know with hair kickers its pritty easy to see a bald abdomen but how do you tell with old world species ??

Sorry for the many posts iv been strugeling in the dark for sometime!!

Last edited:

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well first off dont worry so much. since the obt's are a very agressive species u will know when its stressed. first off if it starts acting like its aboreal then its stressed but and you wont be able to feed it depending on ur cage. and since they dont kick hairs they do a lot of defence poses for u which are really cool but thats not the point. and welcome to the world of obts :D

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's not eating it may be about to molt.

What size is your OBT?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i was under the impression that OBT's will adapt to any enviornment Arboreal or terrestrial....my bigger one is in a arboreal set up and loves it...great webbing great feeding etc etc...i read sometimes the actually prefer an arboreal retreat/setup :confused: but i could be wrong ive got to look for it if i find it ill post it here.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
i was under the impression that OBT's will adapt to any enviornment Arboreal or terrestrial....my bigger one is in a arboreal set up and loves it...great webbing great feeding etc etc...i read sometimes the actually prefer an arboreal retreat/setup :confused: but i could be wrong ive got to look for it if i find it ill post it here.
I've got my 3 slings on about 1-2 inches of substrate (they are small, so they have plenty of room to dig), with a hide that leans up against the enclosure, so they can really choose to do either.

One of mines has webbed up the whole enclosure and sits in the center of the enclosure - looks like it is "floating." Whenever I slightly move the enclosure it runs back for the hide and the burrow it dug under there.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its funy i got a B smithi as Nice freindly T and obt a nice horid T , the problem is right the smithi has the attitude and damn usambara just sits and chills :?

It just doesnt seem anything like the Evil beast iv been reading about for so long wich hasme thinking is it gunner die on me is there something wrong

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
yeah thats what i thought...i guess they do whatever they want...i wonder what they prefer...and if anyone has ever taken the time to experiment with this...say take 50 OBT's put them in a AB set up...take another 50 put them in TR set ups...and take another 50 and put them in a AB/TR set up..would be interesting to see the results IMO...but that is a lot of OBT's.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My usmbaras are starting to get pretty big. They all web the hell out of their 24oz cups. Some are close to 3". They are all prefer to run and hide rather than attack.

Out of the 7 I have only one chose the terrestrial option. And it didn't dig or anything, just webbed all over the base of the container.

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Washout said:
My usmbaras are starting to get pretty big. They all web the hell out of their 24oz cups. Some are close to 3". They are all prefer to run and hide rather than attack.
My biggest is ~1.5" now, and they all certainly prefer to run and hide. They really seem more skittish and shy than defensive. I suppose, of course, if they had nowhere to run and were being threatened they would defend themselves (with good reason).

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I respect it and sure as hell dont want a love bite from it , But as yet iv not even seen a droped fang :(

Adam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mimic58 said:
locked in a room with 150 obts , now thats hell!
I don't know about that, I think it would actually be pretty awesome. If you managed to keep things in order and keep notes (like you should anyways ;)), I bet you'd be able to find out some really interesting things about the species and share them with the rest of us :).

Boner

Arachnopeon
I've noticed my usumbara has taken a more terrestrial approach she's built a web enclosure everywhere with a tunnel system that has 2 openings she always sits at the edge of one of them and whenever crickets go in they're caught before they even hit the silk. OBTs are some of the nastiest lil beauties out there. Orange Bitey Things sounds appropriate

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had my OBT for about 6 months, maybe a little longer, and has yet to show me any aggression. Whenever I open its tank it just runs back in its web/peat tunnels and waits for me to finish whatever I'm doing. Same for my H. lividum. None of my T's are aggressive or defensive.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
mimic58 said:
locked in a room with 150 obts , now thats hell!
I think it would depend on a few circumstances....

1. How big the room is
2. Whether or not the 150 obt's were in individual containers
3. If not in containers, whether or not they have suitable places to hide.
4. The sizes of the obt's
5. Whether or not they are HUNGRY!

and probably a few other factors I just can't think of right now. ;)

Wysi

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here is a pic of my 2.5" obt, hard to get a decent shot since it is so flighty. The other 6 are all a bit smaller.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is in a semi-terrestrial/semi-abboreal setup. He's got the whole thing webbed up so you can't even see him, but recently he's been diggin like crazy. It's a huge dirty mess, nearly impossible to clean as he comes running out at the slights disturbance to the cage. He's also one of those hissing, running and bitting types. He more than lives up to their name. Oh, he/she is about at the 4" marker now. I named him Caligula, it's very fitting I think.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol it shed in a threat stance

lol it shed in a threat stance

Attachments

Last edited:

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
say 150 6" hungry and agetated loose OBT's in an area the size of a phonebox {D