First Nhandu species?

First Nhandu? (out of the 2 I like the most)

• Total voters

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Love the fluffy look of this species and the size they get to, just not sure which one to get.

cold blood

Staff member
Id vote chromatus.

Your two choices are splended, but coloratovillsus can be really flicky....tripeppii are the most high strung, irritable Nhandu there is. Chromatus are significantly calmer and much less flicky.

If you dont mind super flicky or super high strung, then its personal preference...I like them all personally.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My tripepii is wonderful! She is calm, has never flicked hairs, doesn't really spook...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I love the tripepii. Have 3 of them. They are skittish, but not defensive in my experience. They run and hide when disturbed. Haven't seen a threat posture from any of them.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I vote for N chromatus. I have had N coloratovillosus but not N tripepii, so i cant tell anything about that. They are nice speicies but i just like N chromatus little better based on looks. My specimen was little defenssive and used threatpostures and biting rather than flicking, but not that bad though. My N colloratovillosus was a terrible hairkicker and rather nervous!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
N.tripepii are the largest in the genus, if size is what you're after. You can't go wrong with any of the Nhandu's though, they're all cool.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
N. tripepii is probably my least favourite Nhandu looks-wise (I did pick up a sling before Christmas though) so I went with N. coloratovillosus.

None of the Nhandu I keep are really flicky but they will happily throw up threat postures.

View media item 56715View media item 55638View media item 54466

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That is a real tough one. Looks wise, I want to go with tripepii, but coloratovillosus is gorgeous as well. I have both species, but they are still fairly small. My largest is a juvenile male trepepii (sold to me as female :rolleyes:) and the rest are largish slings - two more trepepii and two coloratovillosus. I don't keep chromatus. My juvenile male is very skittish, although he has never kicked hair or threat postured. I rarely see him - he bolts for his hide the moment I disturb him. Unbelievable appetite, and very fast growing, but that applies to the entire genus.
He has recently moulted and this is the only decent photo that I have ever gotten of him.
DSC09653-2-2.jpg

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
chromatus. It's the most distinctive of the genus. tripeppii would be my second choice. coloratovillsus looks like A. geniculata but not as cool and way more nervous. The only reason I have this species is I got one as a freebie.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
It has been a while since I got back to these forums and I'm grateful for all the pictures shared. The tarantulas you have shown are really beautiful, but I managed to find a nice Nhandu Coloratovillosus juvenile last weekend.

Ron Fults

Arachnopeon
I have a Chromatus sling and is probably the most bold T I have. It doesn't seem to realize it's small size.
But if I was trying to decide between the two I would go with option C and get them both. Makes the decision process much simpler .