1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Nhandu species?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by KdeBruyn, Mar 17, 2019.

First Nhandu? (out of the 2 I like the most)

1. Tripepii

52.9%
  2. Coloratovillosus

47.1%
  1. KdeBruyn

KdeBruyn Arachnopeon

UK
    Advertisement
    Love the fluffy look of this species and the size they get to, just not sure which one to get.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Id vote chromatus.

Your two choices are splended, but coloratovillsus can be really flicky....tripeppii are the most high strung, irritable Nhandu there is. Chromatus are significantly calmer and much less flicky.

If you dont mind super flicky or super high strung, then its personal preference...I like them all personally.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

My tripepii is wonderful! She is calm, has never flicked hairs, doesn't really spook...

4. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I love the tripepii. Have 3 of them. They are skittish, but not defensive in my experience. They run and hide when disturbed. Haven't seen a threat posture from any of them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I vote for N chromatus. I have had N coloratovillosus but not N tripepii, so i cant tell anything about that. They are nice speicies but i just like N chromatus little better based on looks. My specimen was little defenssive and used threatpostures and biting rather than flicking, but not that bad though. My N colloratovillosus was a terrible hairkicker and rather nervous!

• Like Like x 1
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

WOW! I have several....not one is like yours...mine are skittish and very quick to throw a threat posture.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

N.tripepii are the largest in the genus, if size is what you're after. You can't go wrong with any of the Nhandu's though, they're all cool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

N. tripepii is probably my least favourite Nhandu looks-wise (I did pick up a sling before Christmas though) so I went with N. coloratovillosus.

None of the Nhandu I keep are really flicky but they will happily throw up threat postures.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Dang! My girl's enclosure even clicks open and closed... she has never bolted, kicked hairs, OR offered a threat posture!

Though she did molt recently... so maybe she'll have done a 180 lol

1551606532654.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

That is a real tough one. Looks wise, I want to go with tripepii, but coloratovillosus is gorgeous as well. I have both species, but they are still fairly small. My largest is a juvenile male trepepii (sold to me as female :rolleyes:) and the rest are largish slings - two more trepepii and two coloratovillosus. I don't keep chromatus. My juvenile male is very skittish, although he has never kicked hair or threat postured. I rarely see him - he bolts for his hide the moment I disturb him. Unbelievable appetite, and very fast growing, but that applies to the entire genus.
    He has recently moulted and this is the only decent photo that I have ever gotten of him.
    DSC09653-2-2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

chromatus. It's the most distinctive of the genus. tripeppii would be my second choice. coloratovillsus looks like A. geniculata but not as cool and way more nervous. The only reason I have this species is I got one as a freebie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KdeBruyn

KdeBruyn Arachnopeon

UK
    It has been a while since I got back to these forums and I'm grateful for all the pictures shared. The tarantulas you have shown are really beautiful, but I managed to find a nice Nhandu Coloratovillosus juvenile last weekend.

13. Ronald Fults

Ronald Fults Arachnopeon

Ohio
    I have a Chromatus sling and is probably the most bold T I have. It doesn't seem to realize it's small size.
    But if I was trying to decide between the two I would go with option C and get them both. Makes the decision process much simpler .

• Like Like x 1