First Desert scorp

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so i just got my first desert scorp. the good old fashioned desert hairy, i made a real nice set up for the little guy in a 10g and am hoping to get hima freind ni the next 2 weeks got a nice rock scape plenty of sand and some drift wood lots of places to hide. I got the sand wet i went to Home hardware and got washed sand, it has dried a bit since i got but is still kinda moist. How dry does it need to be before i add the scorp?

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most people say wait until it is perfectly dry. Desert hairies like humidity and I am impatient so I wait a half day. Basically until the top it dry. If you don't provide a water dish he might try to drink the sand, but not a big deal.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most people say wait until it is perfectly dry. Desert hairies like humidity and I am impatient so I wait a half day. Basically until the top it dry. If you don't provide a water dish he might try to drink the sand, but not a big deal.
Actually Hadrurus sp. are very sensitive to humidity. They like it BONE dry. No water dish is needed, they get all of their moisture from prey.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just make sure there is a moisture gradient so he/she can burrow to the desired humidity. They will alternate between burrow and up top to regulate their temp and humiduty levels. So make sure the rock is kept dry for a perch. (For lack of a better term.) You can use pvc pipes in the corner driven down to the bottom of the tank to keep the bottom of the tank a bit moist. If the sand goes bone dry burrows will colapse. There has to be some moisture, but yes they are super sensitive. If you accidently get the sand to wet he/she will stay up on the dry rock whatever. They are super picky when it comes to moisture/humidity, if it isn't just right they won't molt properly either. That's really the only annoying part about them, other than that awesome species. They are very active and make intricate burrows. Plus they are skiddish to a point where it's entertaining.{D

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually Hadrurus sp. are very sensitive to humidity. They like it BONE dry. No water dish is needed, they get all of their moisture from prey.
Actually you my friend are mistaken. Arizonensis need some type of humidity. Most go with a gradient range I prefer spraying under hides.
Cheers,
Eddy

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah about the water dish. Most desert scorps get the majority of moisture from food however I always keep a water dish just in case. Furthermore make sure you compact the sand too, that will make it a bit more stable. Good luck!!!

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep both of mine dry, but they are on a shelf in my bathroom. So when the shower goes, they get some humidity, but not much. And yes, they are very skittish. I just got through putting a grasshopper I just caught in one of the enclosures. The scorp disappered in a micro-second, but reappeared as soon as it noticed the food. BANG! Grasshopper gone.

David

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on your new hairy. In the wild, these scorps can burrow as deep as 4 feet or so. Their burrows are cool and humid. They will decide when they want moist or dry. Even though they are a desert species, they still need water. Be careful about the dish though! Offer the scorp a very shallow water dish once a week or so. I had a hairy literally almost drown himself camping out in his water dish. If they're too dry, they will lay in it! I've seen this done by African desert species also. It will find a "favorite" place to hide soon after you put it in. Try and keep this area a little damp but not wet. Also, I'm going to bet it is a wild caught. Mist the enclosure lightly a couple times a week in early spring to simulate the rainy season. It seems to keep their biological clock on time.
Don't be suprised if your scorp stops eating for periods of time. This seems normal for these guys. I can't explain why, but every one I've had will do this. Especially the adults. Good luck!:D

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my hairy just buried himself about a 10 days ago and havent seen em since... hopefully yours wont be as shy

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree that they use their burrow depth to self regulate what little humidity they need. Too often I see what I think is too shallow a substrate in their enclosure. With depth they can adjust themselves to the atmospheric changes. It does sometimes rain in Arizona lol.
Rev

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gee lol all these humidity issues lol, why cant he just be like my h. spinifer and take all the water i can throw at it. I have a very deep sand bed for it and a gradient as well and a few nice places for hides as i hope to eventually get one more and make it communal. I did notice that he likes to come out of his burrow and sit atop a rock. So whats the general consensus mist about once a week? and offer a water dish once in a while?

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hope to eventually get one more and make it communal. I did notice that he likes to come out of his burrow and sit atop a rock. So whats the general consensus mist about once a week? and offer a water dish once in a while?
I probably wouldn't mist at all unless you live in the desert like me (and we're having monsoon season right now). I do know some folks that will put a water dish in once or twice a month for maybe an hour then remove it. One tip on the communal gig, when getting ready to introduce another scorpion remove the one you have from the enclosure, rearrange everything (provide several hides), then put both or all scorpions in at the same time. Territoriality is established and if one has established his before hand you can wind up with a death match.
Rev

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't mist any desert species, period, unless i notice molt problems in early instar, then i might add a drop of water in the corner of the vial. This species is kinda weird though, so I don't want to say the above individuals are not correct, because they probably have more experience with this particular species than i do. However, i have kept them, and i always just supply a shallow water dish once every other week. I never use any artificial heat with this species, as long as it stays around 75 F they seem fine.

Cheers