First contact....

0siris

Arachnosquire
This was my first contact with an adult (more likely a sub-adult tarantula)

I have dealt with slings before but this was my first time dealing with a T bigger than 2"

I have never dreamed of actually holding a spider this big....this is a big milestone for me :laugh::eek: :o_O:

I know that pinch grabbing is not the recommended way to handle tarantulas...but from experience I can say that it was the best way I could "control" the T in case it decided to do something abruptly...

In case you are wondering...I had a very ginger grasp on the tarantula in the photo above. From what I have read, I should have held on tighter but I did not want tot hurt the spider. I was literally forced to let it go as soon as I snapped the picture because it started to wriggle away...

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Some T's are fine with being pinch grabbed... and by that I mean the individual T. Next time, just gently set it down on your other hand. Most likely it will just crawl quietly on your hand/arm/Lap, or sit there. Remember to hold them down low and close so they don't have fall-height.

Much more fun to have them ON your hand instead of in your fingers, though!

Have fun, just don't overstress your T!

congrats on handling...carefully!

Marga

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I assume that's your Aphonopelma sp. Guatemala? Since getting bit by my old adult OBT years ago, I don't handle anything anymore. I prefer to let them to their "T" things... like eating and not moving for long periods of time.

0siris

Arachnosquire
Yeah that's the one...

To be honest I kind of broke my own rule when I picked her up. I did it just to say I've done it, but I'm probably not going to handle another. They seem to appreciate the space.