First Aboreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsBevyChurch

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to purchase my first Aboreal. I wanted some recommendations for a beginner keeper. I have a b.smithi and a g.rosea (red morph). What would be a good Aboreal that I don't have to worry about being overly aggressive, fast, or high maintenance?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Avicularia. once set up, the only maintenance is bolus removal and water bowl cleaning/refilling. make sure to post pics of your set up before buying as they can be fragile. also try to buy a juvi (1.5"+) or bigger as they are hardier.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Avicularia versicolor. Hands down in my personal opinion. Beautiful spider and beginner friendly from what I have heard as long as you have great cross ventilation and proper humidity. Apparently stale stagnant air is the number one killer of these guys.

I'll be ordering 2 soon for my first arboreals

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Avicularia versicolor. Hands down in my personal opinion. Beautiful spider and beginner friendly from what I have heard as long as you have great cross ventilation and proper humidity. Apparently stale stagnant air is the number one killer of these guys.

I'll be ordering 2 soon for my first arboreals
proper humidity is a full water bowl. nothing else. even as slings i keep them nearly completely dry with a water bowl. no moistening the sub or misting.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd get an adult female A. avic. Reasonable cost, easy to find and an excellent first arboreal.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
After owning two Sp.Amazonicas my tips would make sure you get your enclosures right. So it's worth getting some members here to perhaps ok what you had in mind.

I started with 2x 32 oz containers but had to re-house one due to mold. (that was my fault due to wicking, which is where your water dish empties due to a bit of moss soaking it up). I then put one in a peanut jar which is smaller. That T seems to be doing better in terms of the web it has made etc but then that could just be the T itself.

Having a cluttered enclosure is great for the amount of anchor points it gives the T to web but makes enclosure maintanence perhaps tricky. I used a bit of cork bark centrally placed with some fake plants running up the sides.

Just that it can be tricky if you lose a cricket and have to search for it. (they hide in moss and had a few hide in the cork bark I used).

I also used Isopods with zero issues.

p.s might upload you a pic of the amazonica in the peanut jar, has made a nice web platform. (which is usefull for when you tong teed. Can dangle a cricket nr the T and if it drops will get stuck on the web which you can carefully remove).

Some people say even if you drop in the crickets the T will find the cricket on the substrate. Mine seem very reluctant to leave their webs at the top but am sure if they were hungry they would find the cricket.

I do add a bit of extra moisture if I think they are in pre-moult but generally just a water dish is fine. You need x ventilation and also I use some in the lid as well.

So far both have moulted once and I think the one is about to moult again.

Oh Sp amazonicas grow big just a warning. Most people go for versi's which I will do at some point..

Can be a bit skittish. My one decided a few times to climb out of the enclosure and walk over my hand and up my arm. (so can happen, be prepared. The one has been good as gold). They are quick but I wouldnt say any quicker than a B.Smithi or G.Pulchra sling.

And not as fast as an OBT!

Last edited:

n0rmal

Arachnopeon
if you want something a little more easy to keep and more hardy than an avic sp. I would recommend a p.irminia or p.cambridgei, both grow fast and have some striking colors.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
I'd go for a Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Yes, their venom is fairly potent, and they can be fast, but they're very hardy, can handle drought very well and grow fast. If you start with a sling, you can get used to their attitude and speed. My first arboreal was a juvenile P. cambridgei female and I had no problems at all.

Last edited:

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I'd get an adult female A. avic. Reasonable cost, easy to find and an excellent first arboreal.
I also think that they are more mellow than A.versicolor from what I've seen so far.

if you want something a little more easy to keep and more hardy than an avic sp. I would recommend a p.irminia or p.cambridgei, both grow fast and have some striking colors.
If somebody is just getting into aboreals he probably kept stuff like Brachypelma, Grammostola and other slow stuff before. I wouldn't recommend jumping into something like Psalmopoeus right away.

My personal pick would be A.Avic at a decent size. As far as I know you can find them everywhere in the US so no problem getting your hands on one.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Yeah I think the suggestions for P.Cambridgei and P.irminia are good ones.

Although you will see your avics more. My adult female P.irminia is in her hide most of the time...hasnt been out for awhile. (she makes an appearence when she's hungry...although I havent been in that much at nightime recently so perhaps have missed her).

She's a real beauty. (and is fast with a bit of a mean temperament, well if she's not hungry she will give you a threat posture n slap the tongs if you try and shove a cricket at her).

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Buy a Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Don't lose too much time following 'Avics'. They grow like weed, females are giants, and, unlike 'Avics', easy to care even for the beginner/average keeper. Trust me, scavenge how much 'Avics' issue threads are out there and check for yourself if i'm wrong.

'Avics' are amazing aesthetic only T's. Asking for troubles for majority.

At the end, doesn't exists "slow" arboreals, that's an heresy. A bit of a potent venom, someone say? Means nothing, avoid bites.

Buy that P.cambridgei.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd go for a Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Yes, their venom is fairly potent, and they can be fast, but they're very hardy, can handle drought very well and grow fast. If you start with a sling, you can get used to their attitude and speed. My first arboreal was a juvenile P. cambridgei female and I had no problems at all.
was she also your third tarantula? starting with a sling doesnt do much, my 1/2" sling i got in september hit 3.5" this month, they out pace their keeper in terms of growth. IMO.

OP, id hold off on the Psalmopoeus. very fast and some are very defensive. i rehoused my P. irminia last night and it was harder than any pokie rehouse i remember. sticking with only Avics as a first arboreal. maybe Tapinauchenius, but be prepared for immense speed. never had one, just going off of what ive heard, take that with a grain of salt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
was she also your third tarantula? starting with a sling doesnt do much, my 1/2" sling i got in september hit 3.5" this month, they out pace their keeper in terms of growth. IMO.

OP, id hold off on the Psalmopoeus. very fast and some are very defensive. i rehoused my P. irminia last night and it was harder than any pokie rehouse i remember. sticking with only Avics as a first arboreal. maybe Tapinauchenius, but be prepared for immense speed. never had one, just going off of what ive heard, take that with a grain of salt.
P.irminia and P.cambridgei are different, in general, when temperament is concerned. P.irminia are more "crazy" and high strung. Suggesting a genus Tapinauchenius, but not a P.cambridgei? Nonsense my man :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
hold off on the Psalmopoeus. very fast and some are very defensive. i rehoused my P. irminia last night and it was harder than any pokie rehouse i remember

IME there is a lot of difference on P.cams and P.irminia..:) My Irminia is defensive as hell.. But my Cam is nice and easy to work with.. Never hit a threat pose to me, but my Irminia does that like she gets payed to do so:D..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There's P.irminia badass than "name the 'Pokie' you want" but P.cambridgei are, in general, "gentle" <-- please note the " "

IMO? Best arboreal ever for a serious/no fear beginner that knows the T's "know how".

Status
Not open for further replies.