Fire leg

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't panic. Have you even established that it is a male? Go back and check the threads on sexing your tarantula. Even if you establish it is a male, is it a mature male? Does it have tibial hooks and "boxing gloves" on its pedipalps?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have a B. boehmei then females can live around 20 years give or take a few. males once they hit there last molt will have hooks on the two front legs and will live about 4-10 months generally. much of it depends on how they are cared for. If you feed them a lot that can speed up growth but also shorten their life. does your male have hooks? I think B. boehmei reach about 4.5-5" in sive. how large are yours?
scott

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Males don't mature unless there around 4"-5" for this spieces (I believe) How big is your boehmei?

raven89

Arachnopeon
yeah he is about 4 to 5 with hooks and boxing gloves, o man does that mean i only have a few months left with him? He always running around for no reason but i see no sperm web yet

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah he is about 4 to 5 with hooks and boxing gloves, o man does that mean i only have a few months left with him? He always running around for no reason but i see no sperm web yet
Yep, that means his time is limited. Do you know when he matured? That will give you a better idea of how long he has left. If you can't breed him with your female, I'd send him off on loan to someone who does have a female.

raven89

Arachnopeon
he is also having a bald spot on his butt, is this a sign that the end is near or it is going to its final moult? he is running all around for 2 days since i got him, is this normal behaviour? thnaks guys ofr your support anyway

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it is normal for a mature male to run around a lot - he is looking for a female to mate with, as he would in the wild. i'm sorry to tell you, but if he has boxing gloves than his final molt has already happened and he is mature. he will not live much longer. maybe it would be best to send him to someone with a female or to try and get a female yourself.
the bald spot is also quite common with hair flickers. he just used his urticating hairs, that is no sign of his death. before dying, he will stop eating and become slow and lethargic. as he seems quite active, i'd say he's still looking for a girl, not dying already. maybe he has made a spermweb and destroyed it again (look carefully for a single, thick thread of tangeld silk somewhere in the cage) or he has made the web before coming to you.

raven89

Arachnopeon
He has only been with me for 2 days, is he just nervous as he is oftern trying to escape, also, i noticed several length of threads around the tank at random places, what that this imply? Also if i have a female should they be in full view of each other as the divider is transparent or shld i block it with cardboard until the female has pun her web?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how large is your female? if your female is 4-5" you should try to breed them, but first I think it would be a good idea if you were to read a little about breeding as it isnt the easyest thing to do. try going to the search function at the top of this page and type in breeding im sure you will come up with tons of answers. good luck!!!
scott

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if he is a mature male, wandering about and trying to escape is normal. as i said above - the guy is looking for a girl. he won't stop pacing untill he finds one, and after he's done with her he will continue pacing ;). t's don't see very well, but they can feel the virbrations from each other. if you really get a female, try top breed them, but read up on it first, it can be tricky.

raven89

Arachnopeon
he is not moving around much now but still trys to escape, there are random threads around and is it normal for them to stay in one position d\for a long time then crawl awhile then stone again? if i buy the female shld i wait for her to make a burrow before introducing the male? Also, he didint seem to be drinking from the water dish or maybe i just didnt notice?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
is it normal for them to stay in one position d\for a long time then crawl awhile then stone again?
Congratulations, it's a tarantula. {D

Tarantulas don't drink constantly unless they're being kept in poor conditions. Usually every once in a great while you see them (or don't see them, depending on when they do it) go on a binge, then they store it up for a long time.