Fire Belly Toad setup

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to the store yesterday to get food for the pets and saw a fire belly toad and just bought it. I'm setting up a 10 gal as a land/water tank and I wanted to know what would be a small quiet filter I could buy to filter the water. Maybe something with a tube that actually sits outside the tank. Thanks

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would think a small fishtank filter would work, they have ones that sit outside the tank. I don't know much about toads, but I wouldn't think they would need too much water so a small undergravel filter might be the way to go. I'll ask my reptile guy at my local petstore he tends to be very knowledgeable about those type of things.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Zoo Med makes an external canister filter, that is decently designed, however I bought one and found that it doesnt have a strong enough pump for my taste. Then again I was using it as a filter for a Budgett frog tank and they are living trash cans.

You can try that one out, if you don't like that one, use a Rio submersible filter, if it is a 10-gallon use the Rio 600 filter, it works well (albiet it is pretty powerful). A step down from that would be the Duetto 100 submersible filter (I don't like those as much though).

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. I got a small filter that is working nicely. I'm going tonight to pickup another cagemate or 2 for the toad as he seems lonely.

Do you guys know where to get snails online? The pet stores near my house don't sell them and I'd like to add a few to keep the land part of the tank clean, unless there are some other critters I can use instead.

Right now the land prtion is canadian pete covered with a nice moist layer of moss that hangs over into the water. There's one fake water plant who's leaves breach the surface and 2 fake plants on the land, each of which are 3 clumped stubby bushy looking things. The toad seems to like sitting in the center of them.

Thanks

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I know pillbugs (sow bug/wood lice/rollie pollies whatever you want to call them) would be good and thrive in the high humidity of fire belly toad enclosure, though I'm not sure whether they'd get eaten or not.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Thanks for the replies. I got a small filter that is working nicely. I'm going tonight to pickup another cagemate or 2 for the toad as he seems lonely.

Do you guys know where to get snails online? The pet stores near my house don't sell them and I'd like to add a few to keep the land part of the tank clean, unless there are some other critters I can use instead.

Right now the land prtion is canadian pete covered with a nice moist layer of moss that hangs over into the water. There's one fake water plant who's leaves breach the surface and 2 fake plants on the land, each of which are 3 clumped stubby bushy looking things. The toad seems to like sitting in the center of them.

Thanks
You don't want to use snails in your tank. They can climb glass, they leave a nasty slime trail wherever they go, and they stink something fierce. Also I think they secrete a poison in their slime that may be harmful to your frogs.
Pill bugs are the best clean-up crew I have found so far.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought of those too. Someone else had recommended snails. I was thinking of maybe getting those orange tropical woodlice. They'd match the toads and look nicer than the grey ones. I'll see if that place has them. I tried culturing them once but had no luck so I only would buy them live from now on. Thanks for the link