Finally!!

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.16 in Manny Rubio's "Scorpions, A Complete Pet Owners manual" show's the telson of a wild-caught O. ecristatus missing and states it thriving in captivity for over two years.
BUT who wants a mutalated pet .

As to buying a hot scorp, You dont buy a Pitbull if you want a poodle:?

Mat;P

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by chau0046
P.16 in Manny Rubio's "Scorpions, A Complete Pet Owners manual" show's the telson of a wild-caught O. ecristatus missing and states it thriving in captivity for over two years.
BUT who wants a mutalated pet .

As to buying a hot scorp, You dont buy a Pitbull if you want a poodle:?

Mat;P
I don't know. Poodles are pretty evil creatures. I mean haven't you watched the Hulk?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Opistophthalmus is more pincer-oriented, though. I think it would be more of a problem for species that regularily use their stings. That being said, if you feed small enough prey then every species is going to skip the sting process.

As for pitbulls and poodles, I'd take a pitbull any day. Poodles have a rep for being vicious and I've seen this myself. They're too high strung. Every pitbull I've met, however, has been nothing but lovely towards people -- though some have had issues with other dogs.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I`ve never heard of anybody buying a gard poodle either, anyhow. Any dog is very dependent and is a product of its surroundings, in most cases. But a scorp don't really have an tendency to familliarize itself to habits like this. so some are more aggresive, but all around they rely on strong instinct.

Mat

I`d rather be bit by ANY poodle than the smallest Pitbull;P

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pretty much get all them afro puffs on the poodle and anyone will run from that dog. i honestly had one try and bite my leg at my aunt's house. i hate poodles. i'd like to put one in my backyard with my rottweiler. i took a short trip to LLL and saw some baby fat taileds that had their stingers removed. i asked what the reason was behind the removal. i guess a staff employee got stung by one and now 18+ can purchase them i believe. no death from the person, but door slamming sensation on the finger and it swelled to triple the size and he had throbbing and some twitching. he was fine in about 3 days. pain most of the day. worst for about 5 hours and then decreased. i dont know all the details for sure, but thats what the guy who worked their said. maybe the stinger removed may actually be wise. but no matter how many storie i'll hear, i'd keep the stinger. oh, it was an A. amoreuxi.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
With scorpions, to get stung you have to be a bit of an idiot or at least a risk-taker. In fact, everyone I have ever met who has been stung says basically the same thing -- they were taking a risk in their behaviour and it came back and bit them (well, stung them). In the wild it is different, but in captivity you just have to keep a smooth surface longer than the scorp between it and you an there is nothing it can do (except the spitters). The only time someone is going to get stung is if they are doing something to put themselves at risk. What was the employee doing that his hand was close enough for a baby to get him? I guarantee, a pair of tongs or forceps would have removed that possibility. It hardly seems right to punish the scorpions for the stupidity of the employee.

Cheers,
Dave

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my thoughts exactly on that one, dave. why in the hell must u sacrifice a fat tailed on the stupidity of an employee. he was putting it in a deli cup and he got tagged right when he let it out of his hand. i didnt ask every single detail while i was there. i was more concerned about the sting and the pain associated with it. i'm going there in a few more days with my brother cuz he wants a fat tailed so i'll be able to get more details when i'm there. maybe i'll buy another fat tailed.

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dose any body think that the a.bicolor will sting through the deily dish? And how big would a sub adult be ?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A scorpion will not sting through a deli cup. Well, it's actually time for me to get some sleep, so I can't really remember how big the couple I have kept were (they were adults and I never was able to get an accurate measurement of either), but if I recall, they were right about three inches.

adios,
edw.

Last edited:

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i highly doubt that a scorp would be able to sting u through the cup. unless ofcourse it gets u through the little breathing holes, or what not.

Chase

Arachnopeon
I'm 16 and I've been breeding 'hots' for 2.5 years. I hardly see how age is really a factor, more so experience in my opinion.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Chase,

In a perfect world in which common sense had any value, you'd be right - maturity and experience would matter, not age. However, in the real world, where common sense is actually the rarest of commodities, age (especially anything lower than that magic number "18") counts for everything. Even if you were the most expert scorp handler in the world, since you're below that magic number, if you got tagged by something and had a serious reaction, the press, politicians, and busy-boddies would have a field day screaming about the irresponsibility of allowing anyone to keep a hot scorp (or, given the complete lack of common sense that surrounds such incidents, more likely any scorp). And soon we'd have half the states in the country passing ridiculous laws (like some places already have) seriously restricting, if not totally banning, the ownership of most or all scorps, all based on a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject.

Don't get me wrong - I respect anyone who can keep any dangerous animal responsibly. Certainly I was doing such things a lot ever since I was much younger than you. But I also grew up in a time and place where common sense about allowing individuals to be responsible for themselves and their own well-being was much more "common" than it is in the US today. Of course, consequently people here now grow up with no concept of personal responsibility because they're never allowed to learn and develop it, but that's a whole other topic.

Anyway, I'd never suggest that you not keep hot scorps because of your age, but please, please don't get stung, at least until you're 18, and understand that most responsible scorp keepers, dealers, and breeders will probably always view 18 as a minimum age for selling hot bugs, just to protect themselves and the hobby. An unfortunate reality of the times.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
I'm sure you can find someone, but it won't be one of the reputable dealers. Removing the sting is blatantly unnecessary, especialy since the venomous species tend to rely heavily on their venom for prey capture. It is so easy to avoid getting stung by following just a few simple handling proceedures. It is only when you are bending the rules that you need to be wary of the potent nature of the venom. In my opinion, if you are wary of the venom, there is no need to mutilate a scorpion. Just get a less dangerous species or stay out of scorps alltogether. Removing a sting is like asking a dealer for a tiger that has four broken legs and all its teeth removed.

Cheers,
Dave
Very true!, I have had people ask me that over the years and I had a similar response. Without a telson it isn't a scorpion!