Female Queen or King baboon?

Drezan

Arachnosquire
What would you call a female even though the species is a King Baboon? Wouldn't it be better to call her a Queen Baboon?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Common names don’t really work well with a lot of animals, people have different names for the same tarantula/animal. It’s just Pelinobius muticus.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
I wasn't aware that I had a 'copycat' :)
Sorry! I didn't mean to copy anyone. It was something I though while looking at my King Baboon. Honestly she's one of the tamest T's I have right now which surprises me being an OW.-

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Common names don’t really work well with a lot of animals, people have different names for the same tarantula/animal. It’s just Pelinobius muticus.
I always call them by their scientific names, but when explaining to most people, they don't know what I'm talking about so I go by common names around them.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Sorry! I didn't mean to copy anyone. It was something I though while looking at my King Baboon. Honestly she's one of the tamest T's I have right now which surprises me being an OW.-
Just because they’re acting ‘tame’ doesn’t mean you could let your guard down while working in their enclosure. Still be attentive and careful. Things may not always be like they seem

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Breath on her, bet she isn't so tame after that. I accidently sneezed feeding my C lividus Cobalt Blue and she let me know that she doesn't like my breath. I probably should have put a Tic Tac in my mouth before feeding her. Poor thing, I had just ate a Pork Tenderloin with onions before feeding her.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Just because they’re acting ‘tame’ doesn’t mean you could let your guard down while working in their enclosure. Still be attentive and careful. Things may not always be like they seem
Definitely! Even my tamest T, Grammostola pulchra, I still keep an eye on her. If I can't then I close the cage.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Breath on her, bet she isn't so tame after that. I accidently sneezed feeding my C lividus Cobalt Blue and she let me know that she doesn't like my breath. I probably should have put a Tic Tac in my mouth before feeding her. Poor thing, I had just ate a Pork Tenderloin with onions before feeding her.
I don't think a tic tac would help. Maybe if you ate a roach or cricket she'd like it! Can Ts even smell?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Definitely! Even my tamest T, Grammostola pulchra, I still keep an eye on her. If I can't then I close the cage.
Also, not to be nitpicky, but a tarantula can’t be tame. They can be ‘calm’ but not tame as that implies domestication.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Also, not to be nitpicky, but a tarantula can’t be tame. They can be ‘calm’ but not tame as that implies domestication.
You're correct. Tame would mean they aren't frightened by people. Calm is definitely the word.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What would you call a female even though the species is a King Baboon? Wouldn't it be better to call her a Queen Baboon?
You could call it Apples, none of us care, it's your T.

Its common name is King Baboon, so it's smart to use the same name-- too many common names are BAD. It's even better to use the scientific name.

Last edited:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Oh and Ts also taste and smell with all their legs. Just looked it up, pretty interesting. I should have know that having a degree in Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology. However I majored in vertebrate behavior, especially wild N. American canids. I only did a bit of research on spiders with The Ohio State University in the Florida Everglades and Big Cypress Preserve. Mostly wolf and fishing spiders. We used carbon dioxide to make them sleepy for a few minutes so we could measure them etc. CO2 put them out for maybe at most 5 minutes. The smaller spiders recovered faster so you maybe had 1 and a half to two minutes to make measurements. Nothing like a cranky wolf spider waking up and running up your sleeve. By the way the wolf spider made it out of my sleeve in one piece and hopefully made some babies as it was a male. This was 13 years ago so I assume some of the brood of his brood of their brood still wander the Everglades.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Oh and Ts also taste and smell with all their legs. Just looked it up, pretty interesting. I should have know that having a degree in Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology. However I majored in vertebrate behavior, especially wild N. American canids. I only did a bit of research on spiders with The Ohio State University in the Florida Everglades and Big Cypress Preserve. Mostly wolf and fishing spiders. We used carbon dioxide to make them sleepy for a few minutes so we could measure them etc. CO2 put them out for maybe at most 5 minutes. The smaller spiders recovered faster so you maybe had 1 and a half to two minutes to make measurements. Nothing like a cranky wolf spider waking up and running up your sleeve. By the way the wolf spider made it out of my sleeve in one piece and hopefully made some babies as it was a male. This was 13 years ago so I assume some of the brood of his brood of their brood still wander the Everglades.
Wow! I bet it was cool to measure them. I really enjoy wolf spiders. If I ever find a Lycosa T I'm definitely getting it!

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Wow! I bet it was cool to measure them. I really enjoy wolf spiders. If I ever find a Lycosa T I'm definitely getting it!
I have a female Tigrosa helluo or the Field Wolf Spider I captured in the backyard. Amazing watching her take down crickets, minute she sees them its over.

FYI my wife yells at me all the time for picking up critters in the backyard.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I always call them by their scientific names, but when explaining to most people, they don't know what I'm talking about so I go by common names around them.
I never understood this justification. Lots of people don't know what people are talking about in regards to a lot of subjects - auto mechanics, electrical work, etc. Things are named what they are, and that is that. When people ask me about my favourite Ts, I explain - "The genus Pterinochilus, of which I have three species... murinus, lugardi and chordatus. They are native to Africa." and then I show photos. Saying, "Oh, my favourites are Fort Hall Baboon and Mustard Baboon"... how do people know what that means any better? Because they are familiar words? It doesn't tell them anything about the spider.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I never understood this justification. Lots of people don't know what people are talking about in regards to a lot of subjects - auto mechanics, electrical work, etc. Things are named what they are, and that is that. When people ask me about my favourite Ts, I explain - "The genus Pterinochilus, of which I have three species... murinus, lugardi and chordatus. They are native to Africa." and then I show photos. Saying, "Oh, my favourites are Fort Hall Baboon and Mustard Baboon"... how do people know what that means any better? Because they are familiar words? It doesn't tell them anything about the spider.
I when I talk to folks who come over and ask about my Ts I give them the scientific name and some of the more popular common names. I also have my enclosures labeled so they can see what each name looks like with each spider and see where some of the common names come from. I also have some Tarantula field guides and the Tarantula Keepers book usually sitting with the Ts that I encourage them to pick up and read about the 5 species I have and more. I have some new shelving coming in tomorrow for the spiders so everybody is on the dining room table at the moment. I don't think the Ts care, but my cats are pissed their night time napping area is off limits for a night. They could not knock my enclosures over if they tried, especially my terrestrial enclosures. They each have 11 inches of substrate in them. And my C lividus has moist sub so her enclosure is extra heavy. All my tops are locked with little brass Master Locks. Only T not on the table is my B. hamorii sling, she spending the night in with the fine china. Lucky little lady.