feeding

U

Unregistered

how often should i feed an immature? once every other day?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I see that figure thrown out a lot and it's really messed up. You can feed a sling as much it will eat, but you don't need to feed it any more than enough to keep it plump. What that amount is will depend on what you're feeding them and what temp. There is no hard and fast rule for feeding tarantulas of any size or age other than "keep'em plump, but probably not too plump".

On average, I probably don't feed my slings more than 1.5X a week if that.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As often as it will take in, if you want it to grow fast and like to watch it eat. Every other day, if want to get into a consistent eating program with your T. Weekly, if you think your T needs a diet. Monthly, if you are too lazy and doesn't want your T to grow that fast. Yearly, if you want your T to be a supper model. Never, if you want your T dead.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed mine every other day. I'm thinking thats to much. Thats about $7.00 a week or $364.00 a year. Yep, I'm feeding to much.
Think I'll try Code Monkeys schedule.:)

Ernie

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer not to have a feeding schedule. It makes it less stressful. I just get as many crickets as I need from the petstore whenever I run out and distribute them according to the appetites my spiders had from their last feeding.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm w/ jacen on this one... just kind of randomly....
but no more than 1.5x a week ever...
i try for an even once a week w/ just a random day of my weekend....

i really worry about over feeding my Ts... i know if they eat all they can in one day, theyll be fine for a week. as long as they have water.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed mine 2-3 times a week depending upon the spiderling and the size or type of prey items they've been given. I've been using flour moth larvae a lot lately and they're pretty small compared to the ts that are eating them, so I've been giving an extra feeding to those slings. Usually it's twice a week though.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't understand the advantage of feeding 3 crickets once a week, as opposed to 1 cricket every other day.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Less work. If you have a smaller collection, feeding 3 times a week is no big deal. If you've got more than 100 animals, however...It doesn't make much difference to the spiders.

Wade

U

Unregistered

thanx alot guys,but what is what i have a sling?its about 2x the size of a large cricket. i guess i really doesnt matter anyway,the reponses ive got have been pretty consistant.