Feeding your feeders

Silverrose

Arachnopeon
I am lucky to have several different fruit trees growing on my property, so my crickets and roaches always have access to a variety of fresh fruit (and veggies), apples, oranges, banana/plantain, nectarines, etc. But I was wondering if there are any fruits that I should stay away from feeding them, for toxicity reasons. I am uncertain about feeding them from my avocado, guava, and persimmon trees. And just fyi, I have not done so yet. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I think the jury is still out on avocado, but no matter, I will gladly take the excess off you hands;) I see you're in LA...if there are any pesticides used in cultivation, don't use them for your feeders. Otherwise, should be fine.

Silverrose

Arachnopeon
I figured avocados would be bad... Oh well, just means more guacamole for me! Any other thoughts about guava and persimmon? I know they seem a bit more uncommon to feed insects, but we have soooo much of it during the year a lot of it tends to be given away or just goes to waste, especially persimmons. And again, if not, just means more baking for me to do =)

TVR22

Arachnopeon
Guava and persimmons should be fine. Your roaches will devour them.

MMAFogg

Arachnosquire
Anyone know somewhere in england that does Roaches????

Back on topic!

I usualy just give mine Letauce, im quite new to the game so i picked up a box of cricks and locust, there wasnt many in each box and they were only £2 each so im not too worried if they die off befor i feed them all,

Once they go il get a small box for them to live in and feed them, you say they like Plantain?

Silverrose

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that my roaches will pretty much devour any fruit I put in there, even plantain. My crix are a bit pickier, they are not as fond of the plantain. They are more fond of leafy vegetables. Their favorite fruit seems to be oranges though.

TVR22

Arachnopeon
Yeah, roaches will polish off almost anything. For my crickets, I feed them Cricket Crack. Gotta remember to get some more at next weeks show. And for water I use water gels. Works like a charm for the smaller crickets. Been keeping them alive for weeks on end, till it's feeding time.