feeding question

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my emp hasn't eaten for well over a month now. i'm not sure if it just doesn't want to eat or what. it used to readily take any cricket i put in its tank. i got sick of taking them back out after he wouldn't eat them so i picked up some mealworms today. i figured i'd give them a shot and see if he'll eat them.

anways, how do i keep them from trying to burrow into the substrate. i put one in there and it immediately started digging. i stuck one in a Gatorade cap and it still climed out within a few minutes.

what should i put them in?

also, is it ok to just leave them in the little plastic container at room temp? i don't feel like having them all die and losing $2. ;)

Xerotolerance

Arachnopeon
I personally only use crickets, but from what Ive read about using mealworms... You put them in something like a mayonaise lid where they cant get over the sides. Or, you could try holding them with forceps and waving them in front of your scorps until they take em. Again, this is second hand, as I dont use em.

Antares

Arachnopeon
fiveohatch said:
my emp hasn't eaten for well over a month now. i'm not sure if it just doesn't want to eat or what. it used to readily take any cricket i put in its tank. i got sick of taking them back out after he wouldn't eat them so i picked up some mealworms today. i figured i'd give them a shot and see if he'll eat them.

anways, how do i keep them from trying to burrow into the substrate. i put one in there and it immediately started digging. i stuck one in a Gatorade cap and it still climed out within a few minutes.

what should i put them in?

also, is it ok to just leave them in the little plastic container at room temp? i don't feel like having them all die and losing $2. ;)
I tried to feed my H. spinifer some morio worms once and had the same problems. I tried to put the worms in my fridge for a few minutes and it indeed slowed them down, but the scorp didn't really seem to like them anyway. How many crickets to you give your scorp every week ? Scorps can live a long time without food and most people tend to overfeed them, so sometimes the scorp is simply not hungry anymore for some time.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i couldnt get any crickets due to people scoopin em up before the hurricane. mealies were out too so i got extra waxworms and they have been in hog heaven with the squishy little turds.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My emps dont seem to like mealworms or super worms. They grab them but they wiggle all around and the scorp drops them, they act unsure of what they just grabbed and want nothing to do with it. Now crickets they love. The only times my scorps refuse food is when they look full and are going to be molting.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greets-

For the most part, many emps will gorge then not feed again for weeks. Males tend to feed less frequently than fems. Overall, emps tend not to be a "fussy" and finicky lot when it comes to feeding so, try a diet of diverse morsels - crickets, grasshoppers, various roaches, moths, nightcrawlers (a bit messy), "pinkies", anoles, geckos...the list is almost endless. Good luck!