Feeding Question

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I've had my A. chalcodes since November & she hasn't molted yet, but I know it can take time for A. chalcodes.

I had been feeding her regularly until April, and I stopped then because her abdomen was fairly plump. I haven't offered her food since April, but I supply her fresh water a couple of times a week.

When I open the enclosure & fill her dish (I use a baster) she crawls over (but doesn't drink).
I'm thinking she's doing this because she think the vibrations are food?

She seems fine and moves around to different places in her enclosure, but I'm just hoping to get clarification that if her abdomen is still large, I shouldn't feed her at all, right?

Has "fasting" also set in since it's been almost two months? Meaning that it wouldn't be a good idea to give food now anyway??

I'm sure she's fine, but appreciate any insight. Thanks.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I would offer her food every week or so, she'll stop eating and go into pre molt when she's ready

Minty

@londontarantulas
I've had my A. chalcodes since November & she hasn't molted yet, but I know it can take time for A. chalcodes.

I had been feeding her regularly until April, and I stopped then because her abdomen was fairly plump. I haven't offered her food since April, but I supply her fresh water a couple of times a week.

When I open the enclosure & fill her dish (I use a baster) she crawls over (but doesn't drink).
I'm thinking she's doing this because she think the vibrations are food?

She seems fine and moves around to different places in her enclosure, but I'm just hoping to get clarification that if her abdomen is still large, I shouldn't feed her at all, right?

Has "fasting" also set in since it's been almost two months? Meaning that it wouldn't be a good idea to give food now anyway??

I'm sure she's fine, but appreciate any insight. Thanks.
With regards to the water dish, you will very rarely see your tarantulas drink.

Look at her abdomen, if it looks darker and/or shiny, then it is in premoult. If you can't tell, offer food. If the food isn't eaten within 24hrs, then remove it.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I only feed my larger specimens every fortnight or once a month depending on the size of their abdomen. When my B. hamorii was really, really fat back in January last year I stopped feeding her altogether. She moulted perfectly fine in June. ;)

With heavily bodied terrestrial Ts obesity comes with its own set of problems (e.g. abrasions, split abdomens in case of a fall), so I'd be careful with feeding.
And two months are nothing for a well-fed T. ;)

Pictures of the T in question and her enclosure would be very helpful.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll take a photo of her & the enclosure tonight.

Her abdomen is pretty large so I stopped feeding, but read they don't really "lose" weight until molting, so I just wanted to be sure if I should continue feeding or continue to hold off.

I'll upload photos later & hope to get new insight then! Thanks!