feeding my slings

franz02

Arachnopeon
hi, recently ive acquired 5 slings of different tarantula species. it is because they are inexpensive and also entertaining to see my pet grow.. by the way, i am a beginner.

this is where the question goes, i just want to ask you guys for some tips on what is the proper diet on these slings and on how often do i need to feed them..

these 5 cuties are:

lasiodora parahybana
gramostola pulchripes
brachypelma smithi
brachypelma vagans
brachypelma bohemia

they are all less than an inch

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Diet could be crickets, dubia, lateralis, mealworms, superworms...whatever you can get your hands on and your slings will eat.

I’d prekill the worms (maybe even break them up to feed multiple slings). I might even prekill the crix and roaches depending on the particular sling and their response. Unkilled worms can burrow quickly and, if left on their own, will transform into beetles. They can absolutely kill your sling or even a juvenile/adult T if they’re freshly molted and still squishy.

I prefer watching the sling take down the prey, but if they don’t take it right away you should remove it after 12-24 hours.

I’m of the belief that slings should eat early and often. Fat little slings are able to direct all of their energy stores to growth. Plus their fat bootys are one of the best things about this hobby.

Last edited:

Gossamer

Arachnopeon
I cut crickets/superworms in pieces to feed my slings every 2-3 days. As much as they will eat, I'll offer. I call the fattest ones my 'grapes with legs' hehe. I take out and whatever they don't finish the next day. So far I've only offered my c. cyaneopubescens live prey... my other slings have been too timid.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
So far I've only offered my c. cyaneopubescens live prey... my other slings have been too timid.
I call mine Leonidas. That’s how he approaches every meal. Crix, roach, worm...he just dives on it. It’s insane.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If you opt for feeding them live prey instead of prekilled (lots of people on here suggest prekilled, but I've always offered live), it's best to offer prey that's no bigger than the body of the slings. While some slings will take on things bigger than them, it usually just scares them.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If you opt for feeding them live prey instead of prekilled (lots of people on here suggest prekilled, but I've always offered live), it's best to offer prey that's no bigger than the body of the slings. While some slings will take on things bigger than them, it usually just scares them.
There's no real issue with offering live food, it's just making sure you never leave live food unattended with a T because A. the T surprises you with a molt and the prey chews on them before you can remove it B. The prey item burrows into the substrate and comes out later to hurt your T who's in pre-molt or molting. And for spiderlings you can't always be sure they won't become the prey instead.

Pre-killing means you don't have to worry about that. Even if the T doesn't eat it, or molts, they can't be harmed by a roach corpse. If you offer live food you have to make sure to get the food out or watch them until they catch it and start to eat.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
There's no real issue with offering live food, it's just making sure you never leave live food unattended with a T because A. the T surprises you with a molt and the prey chews on them before you can remove it B. The prey item burrows into the substrate and comes out later to hurt your T who's in pre-molt or molting. And for spiderlings you can't always be sure they won't become the prey instead.

Pre-killing means you don't have to worry about that. Even if the T doesn't eat it, or molts, they can't be harmed by a roach corpse. If you offer live food you have to make sure to get the food out or watch them until they catch it and start to eat.
I know there's nothing actually wrong with it as long as you supervise the feeding, I just was pointing out that a lot of people on here suggest prekilled food for slings versus live prey. I definitely should've mentioned that they should be supervised with live prey though. Thanks for bringing that up!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
One thing I like to do is poke around the sling with a bendy straw to get the feeding response primed. Then when I drop the prey in (I use prekilled for small slings) they jump on it.

I do this because prekilled prey often doesnt move much.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I feed my slings either baby mealworms or red runner cockroach nymphs.

I usually offer live prey to slings but I will partially crush the head if the sling is a shy/finicky eater, if you only partially crush the head then the prey item will still move enough to trigger a feeding response but won't be able to burrow/bite, if you fully crush the head then sometimes it just won't move at all.

I feed every 3 days until over 1" and then every 5 days until they hit 2", I also try to make sure that they prey is no bigger than the tarantula's abdomen, I find this works pretty well and keeps fasting to a minimum.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Usually what I do because it's so hard finding prey thats about their size or smaller is I prekill. I usually be head the food because a cricket can still bite even after it's been beheaded or it's dying. So I only throw in the abdomen part. After they at least reach almost an inch let's say like 3/4ths of an inch I start feeding live prey and you'll be surprised at how aggressive some can be.if they don't kill the prey within 5-10 mins I remove them. A hungry cricket can and will kill your sling. So I just do that as a precaution. Usually the most my slings take is 2 minutes before they attack. Hehe

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
I feed mine those micro crickets every 3 days. In the past, when I didn't bred crickets I fed them pieces of mealworms, or really small baby mealworms.

dbacksfan1980

Arachnopeon
hi, recently ive acquired 5 slings of different tarantula species. it is because they are inexpensive and also entertaining to see my pet grow.. by the way, i am a beginner.

this is where the question goes, i just want to ask you guys for some tips on what is the proper diet on these slings and on how often do i need to feed them..

these 5 cuties are:

lasiodora parahybana
gramostola pulchripes
brachypelma smithi
brachypelma vagans
brachypelma bohemia

they are all less than an inch

dbacksfan1980

Arachnopeon
I agree with what others have said. My little L.P. sling wouldn't eat live prey for the longest time. So pretty much every prey item (mostly crickets), had to pre-killed. I've been feeding mine a few times a week and its been growing like weed lol! Hope that helps you. Take care, Ben

Theneil

Arachnoprince
So it's a pain in the butt (and I think I read somewhere that if used exclusively for a long time it is likely to cause molt issues) but before i had acces to (real) pinhead crickets I used flightless fruit flies for my tiny (1/8-3/8 inch) slings and they would jump on them and could take multiple at the same time.

In general though i would say that the flightless fruit flies are more annoyance than they are worth.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@The Grym Reaper

Sorry. I didn't realize I Ccidentally hit the little icon. I'm ysing my phone usually so probably happened when I was scrolling.