Feeding Maggots To Tarantulas

Kevin Girling

Arachnopeon
Hi

Does anybody have any experience of feeding maggots to T's.

I was thinking of trying it as a food source for a young Goliath I was thinking of buying.

Cheers

mybigone1956

Arachnopeon
i am waiting for my slings to come and i am going to feen them maggots,its pure protein. i think its a good food source for slings.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I occassionally have maggots crawl out of the trash can from the flies that get into the house. I have given them to slings and they were eaten. Since they are in the house that has no insecticides sprayed around, I feel that they are safer.

Sharon

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When feeding maggots, do you put them in a small dish or something so they don't burrow? Do maggots even burrow? Since maggots aren't predatory, can you feed maggots that are larger than the crix you would feed to the same T?

Thanks,
Mikey

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and john would know, if you feed em toslings, they should be quick enought to snatch em before they burrrow

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep - maggots are completely fine - even from a fishing shop as long as you don't get the horrendously dyed ones. But the normal white ones are all but completely responsible for turning my 1cm L para baby into the 20 cm 'youth' he is now, and he has always approached them with more enthusiasm than crickets...

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Outstanding news. My L para babies are all about 1 cm+/- and 3 of them are less than enthusiastic about the crickets.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
to raise them, you should be able to use peanut butter.

When I get more of a collection going, I'll try this but not until then.