feeding Hadogenes

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a quick question: Are H. troglodytes choosy about what they eat? I popped in a deathhead roach with my H. trog...and he seemed somewhat interested, but didn't seem aggressive about catching it. I've heard that some T's won't eat roaches, so I figured this applied to scorps as well. So, I tried a cricket, and got the same thing. However, after a while, the scorp finally ate the roach, but hasn't touched the cricket. I figured he just wasn't hungry. But, by any chance, is this normal with this species?

Bry

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some scorps are shy, she could be stressed, or just not hungry. My Emps take a few min before they can grab a cricket, but they are always gone by morning. Just give her time. I have yet to see a picky scorp.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My h.troglodytes wont eat anything except for super worms and pinkies. It ate half an anole when I first got it, but now it wont touch them. It also wont touch crickets, or the beetles that super worms turn into. I havent tried roaches yet though.

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had little trouble feeding my Troglodytes. The occasional hopper has a tendency to frighten them. On the other hand, the more ravenous they feel, the more apt it would be to use aggressive behavior -Despite threatening movements. Mine typically camp out on the outer most edges of their rock mounds with chela spread far apart waiting for crickets to walk by (An impressive site whenever fully visible). This in contrast to emps who occasionally "chase" their prey. Considering their lithophilic behavior you should see similar if not exact same hunting habits//techniques.

Also, if it ate roach it will likely eat crickets too.

-matt

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
another thing-

keep in mind when you're walking around your room, moving the lid to the cage, or even talking- the scorpion can feel it. which may have added to any un-necessary delay of gorging.

-matt

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My H. troglodytes will only eat superworms. She (he?) will have nothing to do with crickets and giant mealworms. I wonder if she does not think they are large enough to eat because she is so big? She seems very nonchalant about catching her prey, since I have to stun her superworms and put them right in front of her! She does not like the way they flip around when she tries to grab them. I have also noticed her playing with her food, she will pull the legs off of crickets and pinch them, but she will not eat them. Every time I give her a superworm, she will repeatedly pinch it without trying to hold on to it as if she is getting a good "feel" of it before she eats! I find her dexterity to be quite surprising for a scorpion.

Aubrey