feeding centruroides sculpturatus brood

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i frequent another site,some of you may already know me and know of this topic and probably helped me out on this already as well. i just wanted to join this site and it gives me something to post about:D.

my c.sculpts babies got off her back two days ago. pinheads and fruit flies are apparently hard to come by unless i drive 50 miles out of town to a specialty shop or order online. ive been chopping up crickets and mealworms and dropping them in their viv but i dont think anyones taking.
i also offered the mom a headcrushed cricket and she just pinched it and ran away.

any advice on the subject?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've always just crushed up mealies for smaller scorps.They usually take to it pretty quickly.

leiurusSaleen

Arachnopeon
Hey Bro,

I know it's frustrating but keep trying what your doing especially if fruit flies are that hard to come by. I just had a brood of 19 and out of those probably only 5 or 6 ate when offered the first time but eventually a few came around except 3 that were unfortunately casualties.
Sorry I wish I could be more help
Good Luck Bro

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have raised many of these on micro crix, so fruitflies are not even necessary...Mail ordering pinheads is not possible in the "land of opportunities"?:}:confused: I would order them online if I where you....

inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I prefer using newly hatched Blatta lateralis nymphs. Additionally, as Michiel stated, you could also order pinheads online. However, make sure you buy them from a good dealer. Some stores sell crickets as “pinheads” that are much larger than actual pinheads.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer using newly hatched Blatta lateralis nymphs. Additionally, as Michiel stated, you could also order pinheads online. However, make sure you buy them from a good dealer. Some stores sell crickets as “pinheads” that are much larger than actual pinheads.
i found sculpts take to baby lats the best. baby crickets work... but also frighten them in my experience.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i made the lady at petsfart pick out the tiniest of the smalls.these crix are smaller than my scorplings.i will maim the crix before i put em in and if they dont take to em i will have to order online.i hate ordering online and having stuff shipped to me especially live things and with it being 100plus degrees f outside.hopefully petho got their cricket shipment with some fruitflies today,if not hopefully on tuesday.

i seperated em them into a tacklebox with tiny ventilation holes to monitor everyone better,to know how many are actually present and to prevent momma from eating them.good idea right?

thanks for all the input

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
You could also try chilling the crickets a little in the fridge before feeding to slow 'em down a little instead of going to the trouble of maiming them. Good luck!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
its too hot where i live to chill them out. within 2min of being out of the fridge they are thawed and ready to bounce.thanks though.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are looking for micro crickets in the Phoenix area you might want to try PetsInc on Southern and Mill. They have a real nice selection of inverts as well.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

i found sculpts take to baby lats the best. baby crickets work... but also frighten them in my experience.
Seriously?? :} Your Sculpts must be wimps or somthing. I find that they will take prey items their own size or bigger.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are looking for micro crickets in the Phoenix area you might want to try PetsInc on Southern and Mill. They have a real nice selection of inverts as well.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Seriously?? :} Your Sculpts must be wimps or somthing. I find that they will take prey items their own size or bigger.
they just know what food is good ;) love those lats

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i seperated the scorplings except for three stubborn ones that didnt wanna move from the tiny holes of the metamorphic rock i have in the viv.
the scorplings reside in a single layer tacklebox with vent holes.their substrate is a mix of eco earth and granite gulch(sand).their decor is some pieces of bark and a lil pile of cypress mulch.

one of the bigger scorplings

the night after the move i dropped the tiny crix in each section and i found one dragging around a cricket corpse up the bark. he/she is a beast! i will def keep that baby.the top right corner monster is its name now.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
someone from another forum suggested it to me and i thought it was genius as well.if he didnt say it i wouldve thought it up but then i wouldve thought it was too crazy to work.
it like a scorpion apartment complex.if you do get a tacklebox for this id suggest making sure the sections fit tightly against the lid or the seperators are smoooooooth.all the walls in mine are super slick except for the seperators which are slightly less slick.somehow im finding 2 scorpions where there should be 1 and 4 where there should be 2.grrrrr now i dont know whos who!

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Hi shining, I don't know if it's true, but I've read that soft woods like pine and cypress contain oils that can be toxic to scorps. I know folks line their closets with cedar to keep away moths. The small amount of cypress mulch you have in your nursery might not be a problem, but you might want to remove it just be on the safe side.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
pine has the oils.ive never heard of cypress mulch containing that.if so my ball python would be dead by now.i heard scorpions were found in ground zero with no ill effects and they did tests and concluded that they could withstand a nuclear fall out,shows how fragile us humans are.thanks for bringing that up though,ill research it and ask around.
i dont think the cypress would be a problem but now im questioning my front yard tree where i got their bark from.:?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
phew its not a pine tree outside..
just wondering.instead of chopping up mealworms for the brood do you think itd be a bad idea to just drop a whole mealworm in with the babies?
theyve taken to the tiny crix but i have a bunch of mealworms my emps wont eat and the baby sculpts dont care too much for scavenging from chopped bodies.100 mealworms sitting around.