Faulse bottem tanks!!

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi, I'm trying new ways of keeping my humidity up in my tank, i have 2 Emps, both adult. I have heard of the faulse bottom tank from other thread. However I have a particular female Emp who loves burrowing, My sub is about 7-8" deep and she is still burrowing down until she hits the bottom, her active burrow at the moment is a gental slope, not quite hiting the botom, but is a good 20" long, but her second burrow is vericaly down 6" then across the bottom of the tank 10 -12", My question with this is us Faulse bottom tank sutable for such a mole, will she stop when it gets to wet????:?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Norm-

Don't know about using a false-bottom set-up (never found the necessity in using such a set-up, myself) but emps will burrow in all sorts of fashions and manners and will do just fine as long as there's a bit of RH in the enclosure and an available water bowl.

Luc

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I would say go for it..:D ....i don't see a problem even if your scorp like's deep burrowing....i mean, if she doesn't like it i'm sure that she will stay away from the more humid or even wet area.

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
two of my four emperors have burrowed down and reached the false bottom of my tank, thus there is an abundance of unearthed gravel at the entrance to their hide. in talking to some others, they have recommended putting a layer of filter cloth to discourage this. i am not sure if a)that it would work, or b)its good for the scorps to be around/nesting in the filter cloth. hope this helps.

andrew

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i use a false bottom set-up and the only thing you may not like about your scorp hitting the gravel is that it may scoop out some pebbles onto the upper surface outside its burrow (which may not be pleasing to the eye if you use white pebbles like I do).

other than that, its no problem for the scorp. it will burrow to the depth where it finds the humidity to its liking.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if you wish to avoid this, and you happen to have some fibre cloth (its a planting landscaping thing), you can lay down your pebbles, then put the cloth down, and put your dirt on top. The cloth wont restrict the water from going up, but it will keep the dirt and pebbles separate.

You shuld be able to find rolls of it in your local hardware store. Though I think it comes in 50ft rolls or so, not exactly handy to just go out and buy for the sake of a tank. But if you have access to it, you should try. :)

Otherwise, go for it. They should dig until they are comfortable. and you'll have to sort out the dirt and pebbles one day anyway.

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

tarsier said:
its no problem for the scorp. it will burrow to the depth where it finds the humidity to its liking.
Totally agree..:)