Fat and Lazy G. Pulchra! Question.

Midori211

Arachnopeon
Two months ago, I adopted a baby g. pulchra from a local pet store. Within two weeks of taking him home, he molted, and went from having zero appetite to being ravenous. For awhile, I feed him two pinheads a week, but I noticed that when I walked by, or changed his water dish, he'd run to the bottom of his tank and get in position for a feeding. SO I started giving him four crickets a week instead of two, and that seemed to satisfy him.

So, I went to the Pet Store (the lady there was very knowledgeable) and she said try feeding him a wax worm. I also wanted to try giving him a medium sized cricket. So on Friday, a week after he was last fed, I gave him the medium sized cricket, which he took down with ease and ate the whole thing. Then on Tuesday, I tossed him a gut-fed wax worm. At first, he wasn't interested, but I couldn't take it out because he was sitting on it. And then, sort of half-heartedly, he bit into it and when I woke up the next morning, no more wax worm!

My question is, even though he's terrestrial, he seems to like hanging out on the walls of his enclosure and on the sides of leaves. But now that he's eaten so much, I have been poking him and doesn't even want to move. He scoots forward a little, but he hasn't been crawling around or digging like he normally does. Is he just really really really full? I was thinking about just not giving him anything else until Easter since his abdomen is huge anyway... I just want to make sure I didn't hurt the poor little guy.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Well, I've only had my G. pulchra a week...but from the wisdom I've gleaned by reading here...I betcha yours is almost ready to moult.:D

Stop poking it.;P

Midori211

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't be surprised, since he is still a tiny little feller (about the size of a quarter, legs and all) and he has grown REALLY fast. It just seemed odd that he ate so much before a molt, if that is the case, yanno?

synyster

Arachnobaron
Everything is normal I would say. What you did is called powerfeeding. The T takes all it can eat then goes into pre-molt. Leave it to be and everything will go fine. Poking it will just stress the spider out so that would be non-recomended ;) Grammostola's have a very slow growth rate so it is normal for one of these to take a bit longer between each molt and to not have grown alot between each one. Beautiful T when it's reached adulthood!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
You don't need to feed as much as he takes, feed once or twice a week with single prey items. Too big a butt can be very injury prone, especially when you poke it!

Midori211

Arachnopeon
Okay, so... lesson learned: don't poke the Pickle-man's butt. It's actually just sort of funny watching him/her, now that I know I didn't hurt him. He's doing the Thanksgiving walk, the "ugh... so much mealworm... must unzip... exoskeleton"