Fast growing beginner Ts?

lizardminion

Arachnolord
I'm trying to find a terrestrial T that is docile, easy to take care of, and more specifically, doesn't grow at the rate of a turtle.
At first, I wanted an Arizona Blonde T because they seemed perfect. Until I discovered it takes a decade for those suckers to mature. Yeah, not happening.

Basically, a fast/moderate growing, (cheap) beginner T.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
All of the avics mature relatively quickly, at least compared to brachys, grammastolas, and the like.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I'm trying to find a terrestrial T that is docile, easy to take care of, and more specifically, doesn't grow at the rate of a turtle.
At first, I wanted an Arizona Blonde T because they seemed perfect. Until I discovered it takes a decade for those suckers to mature. Yeah, not happening.

Basically, a fast/moderate growing, (cheap) beginner T.
Scroll down and click on one of the similar threads and pick out the terrestrials. ;)

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
Ryan, each T has it's own personality and until you have him/her, you will not know what that is. Here's an example, I bought two 3.5" female LP's and only 1 has shown a threat pose just once because she was stressed about the transition into her new home. I've handled both of them with no bites or issues. They eat like little piggies and grow extremely fast. Now I can't promise you'd get the deal I got but I paid $20.00 for each and that was local pick up. On the other hand, my buddies Lp, same size and from the same egg sac would love to eat our faces off if she could just get to us. I may be wrong in assuming but it sounds like you may want a T you are going to handle, is that right? Based on my experience, Lp's are the best bang for your buck. I hope this helps.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Ryan, each T has it's own personality and until you have him/her, you will not know what that is. Here's an example, I bought two 3.5" female LP's and only 1 has shown a threat pose just once because she was stressed about the transition into her new home. I've handled both of them with no bites or issues. They eat like little piggies and grow extremely fast. Now I can't promise you'd get the deal I got but I paid $20.00 for each and that was local pick up. On the other hand, my buddies Lp, same size and from the same egg sac would love to eat our faces off if she could just get to us. I may be wrong in assuming but it sounds like you may want a T you are going to handle, is that right? Based on my experience, Lp's are the best bang for your buck. I hope this helps.
I hate saying this, but I don't know abbreviations on here to well.
... What does Lp mean?
And what is an avic?
Sorry for my troubles! ;(

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
Lasiodora parahybana and Avicularia genus. Avicularias are arboreal taratulas. Lasiodora parahybana is a terrestrial.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
+1 for the Lp. Their temperments very from individual to individual, and they grow extremely fast. While I have a Lasiodora difficilus, Ive heard to expect him to go from 1/2" to 6-9" within the first year, and you could very well expect the same from a L. parahybana.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Although that shouldn't be abused (by handling them all the freaking time - after all T's are no toys!) if you want some T you can handle, E. campestratus is I think one of the most laid-back T's possible. At least - IN GENERAL - there are (as always!) exceptions. The others already said it plain and simple: Every T has its own personality - when getting one, you'll -always- have the "risk" of getting a more defensive one, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? :p

/EDIT: Crap, accidentally overread the "fast growing" - screw that suggestion from me hence.

Last edited:

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
A.geniculata
grows pretty quickly. Mine has molted 3-4 since late October when I first got it as a tiny sling.
Its nice looking altho skittish. Wouldn't recommend handling and can be fast at kicking hairs but its a looker.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
just the thread i have been looking for. i need a fast grower while i am waiting for my brachy's and porteri to grow up. now are lp's out in the open or do they like to hide a lot?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Whenever there's a growth speed thread, Acanthoscurria geniculata makes the list. Its also terrestrial and cheap. Not necessarily the most docile though. I hear they're all bark and no bite.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
just the thread i have been looking for. i need a fast grower while i am waiting for my brachy's and porteri to grow up. now are lp's out in the open or do they like to hide a lot?
You want an LP if you live in SoCal I'll sell you one (pick up only) LPs are very fast growing they get large and they are "handelable" and they rather be out in the open than hide so they are a great show tarantula. From what you are asking an LP is your T

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I say Lp too. They grow somewhat fast, voracious eaters, very hardy, extremely easy to care for, and are great display tarantulas.

---------- Post added 02-21-2012 at 08:16 PM ----------

Seriously? I was under the impression that my Nhandu never grow. And i would call them far from docile.
Nhandu's grow pretty fast but "docile"........

lizardminion

Arachnolord
A'right, so I'm open to arboreal suggestions as well.
I would also like any T you would classify as docile or semi-docile.

How fast does G.rosea grow?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
How fast does G.rosea grow?
Slow.

GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) would be another really good choice, unless you want to handle it, as they are skittish and like to kick hairs. However, they grow relatively quickly, and are beautiful display spiders.

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
Some what fast growers are Avics. They tend to be pretty docile and not too bitey. Also very nice looking T.s. Try looking at pictures of the Avicularia genus. You will not be disappointed with these T.s.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
You want an LP if you live in SoCal I'll sell you one (pick up only) LPs are very fast growing they get large and they are "handelable" and they rather be out in the open than hide so they are a great show tarantula. From what you are asking an LP is your T
pm sent. even though I'm not in cali.

dsdishon

Arachnopeon
From what I have read on here and elsewhere G. rosea are on of the slowest growing ones. I just bought my first T like a week ago and just bought a juvi G. rosea. VERY DOCILE! Mine never even flicks a hair, of course I have heard of G. roseas that flick and bite whenever they have a chance. The Avicularias are cheap, supposably the most docile arboreal and super colorful. I am about to get the Huriana. Then I will work on slings. Also I have heard GBBs are pretty fast growers.