Falling and jumping down

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
A read a lot of people talking about Tarantulas falling and getting injured to the point of dying. I have 3 different Tarantulas that purposely jump off the lids and land on their feet. These I cut way back on feeding because so many talk about ruptured abdomens. If these Tarantulas are jumping on purpose wouldn't I have to assume they now how far they can fall safely? One is a A Chalcodes that does it as if to just take a short cut back to the ground, one is a P. Scrofa sling that does it when it is not catching crickets fast enough then goes up and drops on them, and one is N Coloratovillosus sling that I've only seen do it a few times. Does anyone else have Tarantulas that jump off or let go on purpose? They always land on their feet. This is just what I have seen. For all I know they all do it sometimes and maybe they don't always land on their feet.

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
Just as a precaution I would add more substrate to their homes. Especially the bigger one. That way they have less distance in case it managed to not be so graceful at some point.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Arboreal like avics can jump as a means of getting over to another branch for example. Arboreal are more suited for dealing with falls because its a hazard they face. In short though all spiders can experience a situation were they might fall. It all about how far a fall they will have and what they will land on when they fall. Will it be soft eco earth or jagged wood chip. So will all falls call a spider no, but the question is why take a chanc?

poisoned

Arachnodemon
If they jump they control their flight and land on feet, while when they fall, they often land on their back.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they jump they control their flight and land on feet, while when they fall, they often land on their back.
I agree, for the most part. If they jump in a wild setting it is significantly different from jumping in a confined environment with vertical glass or acrylic walls that they wouldn't normally encounter in the wild. More chances for a jump to go awry...

When I rehoused my ~4.0" DLS MF Aphonopelma sp a year or so ago, I only allowed about 5" of maximum ceiling height. Shortly after rehousing she was crawling the walls and I witnessed her attempt to jump down. She fell onto her back on the predominantly coconut coir substrate with an audible thump. I raised the substrate another 1.5 - 2.0 inches and kept waiting for her to die... With few exceptions, most of my terrestrials are kept with just a little over their DLS in ceiling height.

Last edited:

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
They aren't falling very far and never seen them do it and not land on their feet yet. The A. Chalcodes has done it in the same area every time I have seen it. All of them are on soft coir and the farthest drop is by by the A. Chalcodes wich is about 4inches at the spot it jumps down. For the others to land on the wood hides it would be less than 2 inches.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
They aren't falling very far and never seen them do it and not land on their feet yet. The A. Chalcodes has done it in the same area every time I have seen it. All of them are on soft coir and the farthest drop is by by the A. Chalcodes wich is about 4inches at the spot it jumps down. For the others to land on the wood hides it would be less than 2 inches.
are the climbing the enclosure because the how you are keeping them. like are they on to wet of substrate.

Solucki

Arachnoknight
I keep my terrestrials (aphonopelma, brachys, grammos) in the plastic shoeboxes. Allows enough ground space with minimum height. I've had my first T, a rose die on me from climbing to the top of a KK and fall about 6" to hard packed substrate. Died slowly over a week, probably internal injuries.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A read a lot of people talking about Tarantulas falling and getting injured to the point of dying. I have 3 different Tarantulas that purposely jump off the lids and land on their feet. These I cut way back on feeding because so many talk about ruptured abdomens. If these Tarantulas are jumping on purpose wouldn't I have to assume they now how far they can fall safely? One is a A Chalcodes that does it as if to just take a short cut back to the ground, one is a P. Scrofa sling that does it when it is not catching crickets fast enough then goes up and drops on them, and one is N Coloratovillosus sling that I've only seen do it a few times. Does anyone else have Tarantulas that jump off or let go on purpose? They always land on their feet. This is just what I have seen. For all I know they all do it sometimes and maybe they don't always land on their feet.
Read the blue highlighted part of New owner questions.

Your newfound little 8-legged buddy IS NOT one of the Flying Wallendas!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are the climbing the enclosure because the how you are keeping them. like are they on to wet of substrate.
Now there is a likely question. Except for the "OMG-my-feet-are-touching-something-strange" reaction right after rehousing, or right before a storm, my spiders of those genera aren't climbers. All of my Nhandus have been burrowers as slings and well into the juvenile or even sub-adult stage. Heck, my MM N. chromatus is in his burrow as I type this. :)

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
Its not like they are always on the lids. Your tarantulas don't ever walk around? I'm not asking if it is normal or ok I read that stuff and is why I am wondering why from the reading I've done it seems like falling at all is so deadly. If they are doing it on purpose I'm sure they now what they are doing. These aren't flimsy delicate animals. It is possible that captive tarantulas are mostly over fed and this is what the problem with falling is. How can an animal that wrestles snakes and rodents going to get injured from jumping or falling half a foot or so?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Its not like they are always on the lids. Your tarantulas don't ever walk around? I'm not asking if it is normal or ok I read that stuff and is why I am wondering why from the reading I've done it seems like falling at all is so deadly. If they are doing it on purpose I'm sure they now what they are doing. These aren't flimsy delicate animals. It is possible that captive tarantulas are mostly over fed and this is what the problem with falling is. How can an animal that wrestles snakes and rodents going to get injured from jumping or falling half a foot or so?
its usually agreed upon that captive T's are probably overfed, but I think you are look at it all wrong. not all T die if they fall. their are alot of factor that are involved. like was it deliberate jump or was it accidental. how far is the fall and what are they landing on. yes they can wrestling snakes and take on large prey, but thats not like they are doing that in mid air, usually its just some wrestling involved.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You must consider that we are keeping them in an environment they cannot change or get out of. If they don't like a certain spot in the wild, they can move and look for another. And when they do, they don't have to climb slippery glass, or hang upside down on screen lids. We are putting them in this, so we must take precautions so they don't hurt themselves.

Is the substrate too wet? I try to make sure when I add substrate to a new enclosure, that I cannot squeeze any water out of it with my hands. Any wetter than this, and a lot of the drier T's start climbing trying to get off the substrate.

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
Do your tarantulas come out when you are around them? If I hang out around my tarantulas they almost all come out to see whats going on or most likely to see if a cricket is gonna get thrown in. If one isn't thrown in they sometimes walk around and make sure that maybe I threw one in but they didn't see so I better walk around for a bit and make sure. Sometimes one will jump down in the process. Mostly the Desert Blonde does the jump or fall from the lid. None of them constantly walk around aimlessly as if looking for a way out. They are pretty calm unless I accidentally bump them too hard. Mostly looking like puppies wanting too many treats if anything.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do your tarantulas come out when you are around them? If I hang out around my tarantulas they almost all come out to see whats going on or most likely to see if a cricket is gonna get thrown in. If one isn't thrown in they sometimes walk around and make sure that maybe I threw one in but they didn't see so I better walk around for a bit and make sure. Sometimes one will jump down in the process. Mostly the Desert Blonde does the jump or fall from the lid. None of them constantly walk around aimlessly as if looking for a way out. They are pretty calm unless I accidentally bump them too hard. Mostly looking like puppies wanting too many treats if anything.
You may also be interested in Perpetually pissed off.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel like ive made a contribution to this forum with my stupid thread LOL
No, no, no! Stop beating yourself up!

1) You HAVE made a valuable contribution to the forum.

2) And it's not stupid! You voiced a question that 35 other people had been wondering about, but for whatever reason didn't ask. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask! And, stupid questions are always a lot easier to deal with than stupid mistakes!

Now, at least, you can get on with enjoying your little 8-legged bundle of joy!

Smile! Be happy!

:biggrin: