Fact or fiction Chill to ship

Warblie26

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever chilled a large Poeci to get her into the shipping container? I understand a brief chill slows them down and as long as it is not long term it is not harmful.

Fact or fiction?

Last edited:

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
If you keep your basement in the sixties or any other room in the sixties that would probably help slow her down. Many people on here are very very against chilling but I refuse to put it down or encourage it without hard evidence that it is destructive. If you use the google or search function on AB you can find threads referring to it as successful.
I have never tried it. But people do put males at low temps to slow them down... Try to find a colder room in your house. Fridge is pretty harsh.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I haven't seen any negative effects from BRIEF refrigeration, but I also haven't seen any proper research done on it's effects either. A hour or so in a cold room or a few seconds in the fridge definitely help with handling fast or defensive Ts though.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why don't you hop into a big fridge naked and tell me how that feels. Don't buy fast T's if you can't handle them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I haven't seen any negative effects from BRIEF refrigeration, but I also haven't seen any proper research done on it's effects either. A hour or so in a cold room or a few seconds in the fridge definitely help with handling fast or defensive Ts though.
How do you know the point at which it does some sort of damage, external or internal? The tolerance for temp and duration is going to vary on many factors, like age, health, sex, molt cycle, etc. There's better ways to pack spiders. Across the country, dealers pack and ship hundreds of these things every day, and I don't think they have a frig or two dedicated to spider-cooling purposes. Instead of subjecting your animals to cruel treatment, why doesn't someone ask a few dealers how they manage to do it?

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
What if,, by some MIRACLE, putting a T in a sixty degree temperature or less room is as beneficial to the T as putting us under a anestic for surgery?
We do NoT now how chilling affects Ts.. For better or for worse.
The moment that someone makes a record of a T dead or is damaged from 60-45 temps I will change my views and encourage others to change theirs.
Until then,,, don't buy a T you are not prepared for the worst with and there won't have to be discussions about possible "torturous" chilling.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?85094-Low-temperatures-and-T-s

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I chill crickets to calm them down.... once I forgot to set a timer and lost the whole bag! I'm sure it works, functionally, but I don't care about crickets at all. (don't use them much anymore either)

There just HAS to be a better way.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There just HAS to be a better way.
There is. It's called gradually working your way up to faster and more defensive species before jumping into owning one before you're comfortable with rehousing and/or shipping them without resorting to putting them in a freezer or refrigerator. I think a lot of people get into this hobby for the novelty without realizing that eventually you will have to interact with the spider more so that just popping off the lid to its enclosure and dropping in a roach or cricket. If you can't handle it, then don't get it. It's mind-bogglingly simple.

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
There is. It's called gradually working your way up to faster and more defensive species before jumping into owning one before you're comfortable with rehousing and/or shipping them without resorting to putting them in a freezer or refrigerator. I think a lot of people get into this hobby for the novelty without realizing that eventually you will have to interact with the spider more so that just popping off the lid to its enclosure and dropping in a roach or cricket. If you can't handle it, then don't get it. It's mind-bogglingly simple.
I agree 100% with what has been said. I was just trying to give a straightforward factitious answer to the person.. Without throwing emotion too far in there. i would never chill my Ts. Why buy them if you cant be brave enough to deal with their full personality. There is a specific reason I dont own any baboons. Sure they are pretty but i have no interest in dealing with that anger. lol
The poster hasnt replied so they obviously are going to do what they are going to do and not share the results.

A lot of things work "like" hydraulics. Like,,, people and glue guns. Lets do what's right by the T and be responsible and not chill, because its not necessary.
I just like to throw facts and references out there. I'm not a spokesperson for chilling. If someone wants to share a thread about harmful experiences with chilling,,, please do!

sbullet

Arachnoknight
I personally would be pissed if I found out somebody shipped me a tarantula after first freezing them to get them to cooperate. Sketch

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
I personally would be pissed if I found out somebody shipped me a tarantula after first freezing them to get them to cooperate. Sketch
Seriously!!! Well, hopefully things worked out okay.
Anyone expecting a Pokey and haven't heard from the seller if their package has shipped yet? LOL

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Here's my question - are you talking putting the whole enclosure in the fridge, then destroying everything in it to fish out a lethargic T? If not, then you had to have gotten the T out to chill it... and thus you can easily pack it anyway. Even the hots can be packed using a 2-liter bottle "funnel" or the famous bag-method... so why?

I lost 9 of my then-59 Ts in a freeze in 2010. Most of them that lived seem to have recovered, one has even bred on, but two still seem to have some long-term effects. Yes, there is a difference between chilling and freezing, but is it worth the risk? You put the T in the fridge, then another emergency arises... and you leave it in too long? You smash it trying to dig it out because it cannot move...

There are safer ways to pack them and once they are packed, they settle in if the "TP Burrow" you create is snug enough. So to me, no, it isn't worth the risk. I'm fairly paranoid about temps in my office (my T room) after one disaster.

Marga