:: f u n g a l I n f e c t i o n s ::

:wumpscut:

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same thing. Has anyone had any issues that we could discuss with fungal infections on their scorpions or issues with known or unknown types in the housing | substrate? If so what did it look like; both on the scorpion and in
the enclosure? How was it delt with? I assume would only be found in habitats housing forest or barks but I am sure it could be anywhere. Did you know the cause; molding basement issues - air contamination, not enough air flow, anything? THanks!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
alright folks, some one must have had issues with mold and fungus in their housing systems, what came of it? did it harm the scorpions? what kind of mold, mushroom or other fungus was it? was the fruit visiable or was there just a molding issue? was the scorps breathing compromized?...can't tell me know no one has had their forest habitats not mold.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
ive probably had 5-6 different types of moult/fungus things

ive only lost 2 scorpions this way, one was severely injured (gash in its claw after a moult) and the other was ill anyway

i doubt the mould killed them, IME they died, and then the moult/fungus grew on the scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your comments!
how did you handle the other 3 or 4 cases? i wonder if mycorrhiza could cause any healthy issues to those that burrow deep to the moist areas.
Mycorrhiza is a fungus that transports nutrients created by the nitrogen cycle and other proccess to the plant roots.
how sensative are their book lungs to debris buildup if any occurs?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hahahahah ;)

not sure how sensitive, but ive never had a death due to fungus
most of the time the scorps just avoid the area, and when i notice, i give them a new and clean enclosure ;)

its usually yellow or orange, but sometimes you get the hairy-filament ones ;)
once i even had 20cm yellow mushrooms growing in my tank when i came back from a 2 month holiday, they started out as yellow dots under the soil, and were HUGE when i got back.

the female in the tank later gave birth to 20 healthy babies, so it couldnt have affected her, even though she was in her burrow for most of the time (i gather)

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what type of scorpion do you have? any photos? the hair filament ones are good. that is if you want to grow plants.
yeah, i don't think it's bad either as if you look in the wild you'd see all kinds of stuff in the soil profile and those animals seem okay. i'm much rather see fungus then molds any day!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey,
ive got quite a few scorps, ill list the fungus ive found in each species enclosure, but i cant help you with the classification of them ;(

Babycurus jacksoni- yellow fungus which binds soil
H.laoticus(wc) - yellow muschroom!!

fungus filaments were found in lots of species enclosures, from Tityus to Lychas to Liocheles to Euscorpius

i must say those muschrooms were really nice, the stalks were 10cm long or so, with a spearhead cap (not very wide)

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks G. could it have been your substrate or an airborne spore infestation?
most of your collect from my understanding but correct me if i'm wrong, are one a dirt substrate. the substrates are humid to a degree right? nothing happned? cool. THnx

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
err not sure, theyre mostly on ecobar (dehydrated coconut)
but some are in "earth" from a garden centre, some have sand mixed into the coconut fibre, and some are on just sand :)

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:Wumpscut

I have had an enclosure for 2 Emps now for 6 (ish) months, did have a few signs of mold/fungus growth. With high Temp and humidity you are very lucky if you do not. What i find (after reading up on it) is a little mite known as Hyoapsis miles (may be spelt wrong) primeraly lives of other mites, but does eat fungus, and mold. I introduce a couple of hundred every quarter. Great caretakers, and they will not harm your Scorps. However good airflow is the best cure, if you can maintain a good airflow and humidity you have it cracked. A collection of holes over your primary heat sorce, then a collection of holes over your cool part of the tank will, by convection suck the cooler air in from outside heat it and throw it out the top. You do loose more heat this way, but at least your Scorps remain healthy.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
i must say those muschrooms were really nice, the stalks were 10cm long or so, with a spearhead cap (not very wide)
I also had mushrooms in my h.swammerdami enclosure and I must say the woodlice (weisse asseln) loved them :}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
vents

I was thinking on the topic of convection to have holes and vents on the sides like for our snake enclosures and bringing air in from the side as the heat would draw it up wards and since we'd use a hood most of the heat would stay traped in the top, using a fan to circulate it. i'm sure also the ispods will do good as mentioned. i also use lacewing larva, Chrysoperla something or other but i'm glad most of all to hear that some have not had issues with a risk to the health. i was thinking of moldy exoskeletons and issues with respritory and eating.