Exterminator

Bethy Faith

Arachnopeon
So we have an exterminator coming tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do with my tarantula. My dad is letting the exterminator know about her, but I don't know what I need to do to keep her safe. My sister suggested keeping her in the bathroom where we'll be keeping our cats, is that a good idea?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
So we have an exterminator coming tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do with my tarantula. My dad is letting the exterminator know about her, but I don't know what I need to do to keep her safe. My sister suggested keeping her in the bathroom where we'll be keeping our cats, is that a good idea?
I wouldn’t, for sure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A good idea would be living peacefully without being bothered by those bizarre masked people that, for living, spray every kind of poisonous chemical stuff in your property for (ah ah ah) 'protect you and your home' :pompous:

Anyway, if the bathroom is your only option place the enclosure on the "higher" side, for avoid 'cats and T's' issue.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Any chance it can go to a neighbor's house? A friend's house? To school with you for the day if you go to school, to be set back in an office somewhere quiet? Do you work and can possibly bring it there and stash it? Just throwing out ideas, no need to reply, best wishes! I agree with finding a place up high from the cats, they're really good jumpers.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it is absurd and bizarr this day abd age when insect populationscate in decline, that this kind of work exist! Spraying deadly poisons in the nature

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think it is absurd and bizarr this day abd age when insect populationscate in decline, that this kind of work exist! Spraying deadly poisons in the nature
You are right but the U.S (in general, at 360°) had always an insane, "historical" passion for let routine exterminators into homes/gardens, spraying every sort of chemical stuff etc pure madness :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes it seams that this is common there! In Sweden you have to call for them! I have gad ants, silverfishes and other infesting bugs in my house. I would never dream of calling extermination. I like to solve the problems myself without poisons! When i had ant invasions i searched for where the ants entered, and sealed the hole with silicon rubber

NYAN

Arachnoking

Its only absurd to some of us apparently. The practice is totally normal sadly. Ignorant humans would rather expose themselves to carcinogens and cause a third extinction event than have some harmless many legged friends on their property.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are allowing you to keep your cats in the house? Are they spraying, and if so, inside or outside? Or are they laying bait traps?

In any case... if you cannot call off the exterminator, take all the animals out of the house for the day.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How, what, and where will they be treating for pests?

If they are spraying (especially inside), if at all possible, I'd evacuate your tarantula from the home during the spraying.

I had an issue a few years ago where the county, with only a day's notice (posted only on the town's Facebook page), decided to fly over the entire county dumping insecticide to kill mosquitoes. (They even failed to notify the local beekeepers, killing millions of bees. :rage:)

Since I found out only hours beforehand, relocating my tarantulas was not an option. So I placed each enclosure into a large plastic bag, filled each bag with compressed air (not the canned "dusters", just regular compressed air), and sealed each bag.

Since tarantulas have very slow metabolisms, this was enough oxygen to last for at least a couple of days. 48 hours later, I unsealed them. I did not see any adverse effects on any of my tarantulas.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
If they are spraying (especially inside), if at all possible, I'd evacuate your tarantula from the home during the spraying.
I've had a T die on me from burning essential oils. I wouldn't keep a T anywhere close to pesticides, so could not agree more evacuate if possible.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I usually only let exterminator spray outside of house's perimeter (spray around the actual outside of my home and also treat any fire ants colonies found in yard monthly).
But even when I let the exterminators inside, they tend to just spray directly around the base-boards -- it's not like an atomic fume bomb inside the house. It mostly prevents ants and other invasive species and such from setting up shop in my home.
After years of keeping Ts, I am less upset with spraying, scented candles, essential oils, etc.. I just ensure they avoid spraying anything near actual tarantula/roach colonies. The sprays aren't as airborne as one might think -- it's fairly specific to cracks/crevices along bottom walls.

Ts and feeders have been evolving for millions of years. As long as there is no direct spraying nearing enclosures, I don't worry. Exterminators tend to spray on baseboards/corners (when I allow them to spray inside at all, which is maybe twice a year). I also consider exterminators helpful by preventing any invasive species to thrive inside which might infest my T's quarters.

I will change my mind if I ever have any dks symptoms with my Ts/feeders. But so far, so good.

Bluebird5591

Arachnopeon
I live in the south and unfortunately if you dont want an infestation of roaches an exterminator is necessary sometimes. I just tell the exterminator to not spray near the wall my Ts are kept and I've never had any problems.

Bluebird5591

Arachnopeon
Yeah, you would need a few hundred free range critters to get rid of some of the crap I've seen. :yuck:

Bluebird5591

Arachnopeon
The future occupation of my Orange Bob Army, perhaps?!

Or a gaggle of Tokays.
Ya know, Tokays might just do the trick. Now if we can just get real estate agents on board with supplying them with the house.

3 bed, 2 bath, walk in closets, beautiful view of the water and 500 free range Tokays.
Don't miss out on the June deals! Purchase by the end of the month and we'll throw in an additional 500 Tokays for no extra charge! You don't want to pass this up folks!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Who doesn't want free feeders?! :rofl:

Or just get yourself a free-range critter to eat them :p
We sometimes get an occasional outdoor-type huge smoky brown roach inside; well I found one a couple days in a corner that got caught in a huge black spider's thick webbing. Had no idea the spider was even there. So, a free roam spider came in and free roam roach got caught. Nice to know if I should have a B lat escapee that I have a handy spider lying in wait.... :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
A good idea would be living peacefully without being bothered by those bizarre masked people that, for living, spray every kind of poisonous chemical stuff in your property for (ah ah ah) 'protect you and your home' :pompous:

Anyway, if the bathroom is your only option place the enclosure on the "higher" side, for avoid 'cats and T's' issue.
Here in America we love to spray poisonous chemicals around and not protect I ourselves in any way - because worrying about chemical exposure isn't manly.

My eldest brother and his best friend had this mindset (along with the union they worked for). Both hosed down the inside of tankers that had contained toxic chemicals with no protective equipment - both died of lung cancer. Neither smoked.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ya know, Tokays might just do the trick. Now if we can just get real estate agents on board with supplying them with the house.

3 bed, 2 bath, walk in closets, beautiful view of the water and 500 free range Tokays.
Don't miss out on the June deals! Purchase by the end of the month and we'll throw in an additional 500 Tokays for no extra charge! You don't want to pass this up folks!
I want to become a real estate agent now just to make this happen LOL

We sometimes get an occasional outdoor-type huge smoky brown roach inside; well I found one a couple days in a corner that got caught in a huge black spider's thick webbing. Had no idea the spider was even there. So, a free roam spider came in and free roam roach got caught. Nice to know if I should have a B lat escapee that I have a handy spider lying in wait.... :)
My house is full of native spiders... They are super helpful!