Expo Plunder!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh, you all knew this was coming. Let's jump right in, shall we?

First off is a species I've never even heard of before.
0.0.1 Catumiri argentinense, "Argentine dwarf"
Apparently these guys max out at ~1" dls. Other than that, I have very little information on them. The dealer said he bought about thirty of them from a breeder, and beyond keeping them humid, I have very little to go off of. A Google search also only turned up two links... not exactly great info, honestly. So, I gave it a little of everything - anchors for webbing, depth for burrowing, and a hide. We'll see what it prefers. If you've got info about this species, please feel free to chime in! Also, note the molt off to the right!
IMG_0655.JPG

Next up is the last sling, for today at least. Nothing special here, but I'm looking forward to seeing him grow up to be a beast of a spider.
0.0.1 Lasiodora difficilis
IMG_0660.JPG

Now it's going to get interesting. You all know my love of Chilobrachys sp., so when I saw this beauty, I couldn't resist. I currently have a very young juvie in this species, and with any luck, I'll have a mating pair in the future. This is a confirmed female.
0.1.0 Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~3"dls
IMG_0646.JPG

This next one is just for my mother. She loves albos, so I got this one just for her. It won't be in my collection - rather, it'll be in her living room in lieu of a fishtank.
0.0.1 Brachypelma albopilosum, ~2.5"dls
IMG_0645.JPG

This next one actually hurt me while trying to rehouse it. No, it didn't bite - it made me jump so hard that I pulled a muscle in my neck. A single tap on the abdomen forced it to turn, chase the straw out of the cup, and throw a threat posture when it landed on the carpet. Good God, I can't wait to feed this one.
0.0.1 Hysterocrates gigas, ~5"dls
IMG_0650.JPG

I was screaming about A. chalcodes from the rooftops this morning in another thread, so I figured I should pick up another Aphonopelma. While not particularly rare, it's been on my wishlist for quite some time nonetheless.
0.0.1 Aphonopelma seemanni, ~3.5"dls
IMG_0669.JPG

Here's another one that I have very, very little info on. If you've got info about this species, please feel free to chime in! I know that it's an Australian species, but other than that... limited info on husbandry. Like the C. argentinense, I gave it a little of everything in it's hide. It's already webbed extensively, so I think that's how it's going to roll.
0.0.1 Phlogius sp. "Black", ~3"dls
IMG_0664.JPG

And last, but certainly not least, a penultimate male to match my adult female! You'll be seeing some slings in the near future, I promise you that.
1.0.0 Poecilotheria striata, ~4.5"dls
IMG_0662.JPG

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Now my male Striata is dazed and confused, with nowhere to go! Nice haul dude, wish I could get stuff like that at my expo.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Honestly, I was pretty lucky this time. There were only two breeders/dealers there, and one of them was LLLReptile. It just so happens that Great Basin Serpentarium is an amazing company - a husband/wife duo that are very good at what they do.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
:vomit::vomit::vomit: Last time I saw LLLReptile at an expo, they had one t. An adult "Asian Giant Birdeater". Yeah, no.

Awesome t's man!
You know, I actually have to give credit where credit is due. Their spiders, for once, looked healthy. They all had scientific (and common) names written on the cups, none looked unhealthily skinny, and they had a good selection. They're actually where I bought my A. seemanni from. Given that they recently opened a physical store here in Vegas, I'm assuming that they stepped up their tarantula husbandry. Either they got lucky, or they listened to the feedback they were getting from arachnophiles. I'd gamble on the latter.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Now my male Striata is dazed and confused, with nowhere to go! Nice haul dude, wish I could get stuff like that at my expo.
send him to me! i have a 7" female and about a 3" male with a lot of growing to do

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
isnt lll the ones feeding petco and giving them those horrid enclosures and husbandry caresheets printed on the side?
i heard rumors that they were, if thats true then we all aught to avoid them with the same fervor as petco

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
isnt lll the ones feeding petco and giving them those horrid enclosures and husbandry caresheets printed on the side?
i heard rumors that they were, if thats true then we all aught to avoid them with the same fervor as petco
That's the thing - it seems to be nothing more than a rumor. When I asked them, they looked like I was speaking Russian. The store manager of the physical location was there, and he'd never heard of LLReptile supplying any big business, although he did know about the Petco issue.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yes, it's Pet Vista (EDIT: actually it's Vista Pet) that''s supplying PetCo, (if I remember correctly) which is a branch of LLLReptile.

You know, I actually have to give credit where credit is due. Their spiders, for once, looked healthy. They all had scientific (and common) names written on the cups, none looked unhealthily skinny, and they had a good selection. They're actually where I bought my A. seemanni from. Given that they recently opened a physical store here in Vegas, I'm assuming that they stepped up their tarantula husbandry. Either they got lucky, or they listened to the feedback they were getting from arachnophiles. I'd gamble on the latter.
Wow, awesome!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yes, it's Pet Vista that''s supplying PetCo, (if I remember correctly) which is a branch of LLLReptile.
If that's the case, then we really can't get too hard on LLLReptile. Pet Vista certainly has their own managerial staff, with their own "tarantula experts" writing this nonsense for Petco.

I'm not going to bat for LLLReptile, I just have an understanding of how businesses work. On top of that, like I said, they did a good job today. Can't take that away from them.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
If that's the case, then we really can't get too hard on LLLReptile. Pet Vista certainly has their own managerial staff, with their own "tarantula experts" writing this nonsense for Petco.

I'm not going to bat for LLLReptile, I just have an understanding of how businesses work. On top of that, like I said, they did a good job today. Can't take that away from them.
@Philth said here #179: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/pe...f-tarantulas-thoughts-and-rants.282714/page-9 It's actually Vista Pet.

Yeah, interesting that they did a good job, glad they did!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

cant complain then! hopefully they are getting on board and listening to feedback and maybe we will see a large distributor of healthy specimens soon

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nice haul man. You got a few that I am unfamiliar with. I can't wait to hear how they are kept and how they do. Congratulations.

Also, I'll leave this here cause you can't have too many new Ts.

Idiothele mira 1 inch+ $39.99
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ne...licus-metallica-dolichothele-and-more.283269/
Yeah, given how little info I have, I very much plan on making a thread in the future on what worked and what didn't. Especially with the C. argentinense. Two results on Google? Come on, now.

Why do you have to tease me :meh: You all are such terrible influences. My budget was $300, and for once I didn't blow it - I walked away with only spending $326. I wish I would have gotten more slings, but whatever. I really wanted that I. mira, but it will have to wait for the future. Oh well.

LittleT

Arachnopeon
Nice pick ups!
I keep both Catumiri argentinense and Catumiri parvum, both are only spiderlings at the moment but I keep them moist and they took advantage of a pre-started burrow, they have burrowed and webbed, similar to Cyriocosmus and Hapalopus slings, great little eaters too :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, given how little info I have, I very much plan on making a thread in the future on what worked and what didn't. Especially with the C. argentinense. Two results on Google? Come on, now.

Why do you have to tease me :meh: You all are such terrible influences. My budget was $300, and for once I didn't blow it - I walked away with only spending $326. I wish I would have gotten more slings, but whatever. I really wanted that I. mira, but it will have to wait for the future. Oh well.
I can't help it, I'm an enabler, it's what I do. :D I'm sure there will be more I.mira available in the future and when there are I'll link you those too :p Looking forward to hearing more about the new Ts.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nice pick ups!
I keep both Catumiri argentinense and Catumiri parvum, both are only spiderlings at the moment but I keep them moist and they took advantage of a pre-started burrow, they have burrowed and webbed, similar to Cyriocosmus and Hapalopus slings, great little eaters too :)
How long have you had those slings? Is it true that they mature at 1" dls? If that's the case, then I have a juvenile, not a sling.

LittleT

Arachnopeon
How long have you had those slings? Is it true that they mature at 1" dls? If that's the case, then I have a juvenile, not a sling.
I have had them for a few months, I don't think 1" DLS is true... I think it's more around 2-3 inches because adult females are listed for sale with 2.5-3cm body length.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks for the info :) I suppose we'll see. I'm actually excited, I can't find an adult picture anywhere. Looking forward to seeing what this spider will look like!

LittleT

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info :) I suppose we'll see. I'm actually excited, I can't find an adult picture anywhere. Looking forward to seeing what this spider will look like!
They look like this (it isn't my picture!)