Experimentation with mycosis

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
So most of my C. sculpturatus are riddled with mycosis. I’ve already lost two. They came to me with several issues (broken telson, bum leg, etc.) but the mycosis is the most prevalent. Always be careful buying from eBay. Well I have been doing the usual accepted treatments for mycosis. But I don’t feel like it’s enough. I know there’s no real cure only treatments which are always being disputed. So I’ve been studying mycosis as best I can. There’s no cure for mycosis in humans either. Only treatments. But I have contemplated if maybe the human treatments could be effective on invertebrates too. I understand mycosis in humans is a different variety or species. The main treatment for early mycosis in humans is ointments and UV light exposure. I have a UV light fixture. So here’s my idea and the experiment. It’s well known that scorpions fluoresce under black lights but what we don’t know is why or what the effects on the scorpion are. But it’s generally accepted that a permanent UV light fixture is harmful or risky for scorpions because it stresses them out. I have decided to provide UV exposure to my bark scorpions in an attempt to control or reduce the mycosis. My plan is to give them thirty minute intervals each day. I don’t know if I should give them more time or less or maybe multiple intervals a day. When would the best time for these intervals be? I still have a lot of variables to consider. I’m asking for people to weigh in. Give their thoughts on this and help me determine the variables. Maybe I should give them full days of exposure. Again I would appreciate help deciding these variables. If anyone has any information on mycosis in any form that would be appreciated as well. This may be an outlandish idea or maybe something super effective. I don’t know yet and that’s what I’m trying to find out

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Thirty minutes under UV light every day might actually be harmful to them, maybe ten minute intervals? I'm assuming they will be in an enclosure with no hides or anything to escape from it.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Thirty minutes under UV light every day might actually be harmful to them, maybe ten minute intervals? I'm assuming they will be in an enclosure with no hides or anything to escape from it.
You think so? The light fixture is actually just over their normal enclosure which has all the necessary hiding spots to make them feel comfortable. I can provide images of everything

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
You think so? The light fixture is actually just over their normal enclosure which has all the necessary hiding spots to make them feel comfortable. I can provide images of everything
yes, pictures would be good!

Yeah I was thinking, for UV exposure to have any effect on the mycosis, they'd have to be exposed to it constantly, with no option to hide from it. But that would be like a torture chamber to them and we definitely don't want that! At least they have their hides to retreat to!

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Well if you were wanting to set up a true scientific experiment you should divide them up into groups. One group is control and doesn't get any UV exposure, then the other group(s) get UV exposure, with multiple other groups you could give them different amounts of exposure. Then over time compare the groups and see if the mycosis has improved or if there are any other positive or negative health effects.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I agree with @FrankiePinchinatti, divide them into groups if you want to be able to conclude anything.
If you want to go truly and really scientific you might want to add a 'pseudo' group of scorpions and let them just think they are blasted with UV light (while they're actually not). :p

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
yes, pictures would be good!

Yeah I was thinking, for UV exposure to have any effect on the mycosis, they'd have to be exposed to it constantly, with no option to hide from it. But that would be like a torture chamber to them and we definitely don't want that! At least they have their hides to retreat to!
I shall upload pictures of the current situation then

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Well if you were wanting to set up a true scientific experiment you should divide them up into groups. One group is control and doesn't get any UV exposure, then the other group(s) get UV exposure, with multiple other groups you could give them different amounts of exposure. Then over time compare the groups and see if the mycosis has improved or if there are any other positive or negative health effects.
Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking I will probably do that since everyone seems to agree

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Direct UV exposure can be fatal to some species after as little as 30 minutes.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Fascinating. Do you know any of these species?
No, but I remember watching a Scorpion documentary years ago and it discussed that. I believe it was following a species in Sudan at the time of the statement. Not sure if it was a correlation or not.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
There was actually a thread in the myriapod sub forum last year discussing several theoretical treatment options for mycosis. You can find the thread here:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/t...er-mycosis-cases-in-recent-se-asian-i.316763/

Personally, I think Pimafix has some promise, but I haven't had another animal with mycosis in my care to try. Pimafix is an all natural medication used in the aquarium hobby as the frontline offense and preventative treatment for fungal infections. It's invert safe, atleast as far as reefs go. I'd probably follow dosing instructions and give the infected animal daily immersions in treated water and keep them in a dry, sterile enclosure with a water dish and hide for the duration of treatment.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Direct UV exposure can be fatal to some species after as little as 30 minutes.
Oh man, I'm glad emperor scorpions or h. spadix don't fall under that because I bring them for science demos for kids twice a year where they are under UV for probably a total of 2 hours throughout the morning. Never seen any ill effects from it.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Oh man, I'm glad emperor scorpions or h. spadix don't fall under that because I bring them for science demos for kids twice a year where they are under UV for probably a total of 2 hours throughout the morning. Never seen any ill effects from it.
wow, that's amazing. I thought that it would do terrible harm to them (and possibly kill them) but it doesn't seem to affect Emperors and h. spadix as much... maybe Centruroides falls into that category where it does harm them badly. I do like the idea though of making it a science experiment though, to see if UV does work on the mycosis.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
UV light being harmful or not depends on the wavelength and strength of the UV light. UV light has a pretty broad spectrum from 10 to 400 nm. (Nanometer)
The UV light you, me and average Joe come across is 'long wave' UV (310-400nm) which is not harmful.
All the 'black light' bulbs and tubes found in bar/dancing/disco from the 80's/90's onward is long wave UV, the UV torches flashlights we all buy on Amazon/Ebay are long wave UV.
Those are the long wave UV lights that make our scorpions light up and those wavelengths are pretty harmless and also around us every day within sun/day light.
My scorpions don't like the UV torch or any other bright light. When I suddenly receive a bright light in my face I also tend to look away, but it's not harmful to me or scorpions.
Long wave length UV described above is referred to as 'UV-A', it's what is mostly in sunlight here on earth's surface because our atmosphere filters out most of the UV-B
and practically all UV-C light. Normal sun light contains about 3% UV-A + UV-B light.
On a nice clear summer day earth's surface receives about 1000Watt/M² of sun light, 3% of that is UV-A and UV-B.
That means you and me receive the blast of a 30W/M² UV lamp during the entire summer day, even though we won't notice it.
UV-B is a bit shorter wave length (275-310nm). Most critter keepers know about the UV-B bulbs/tubes we put on our pet bearded dragons etc. which is also not harmful.
In fact, UV-B light within natural sunlight helps boned creatures like bearded dragons and humans to create vitamin-D which in turn is good for our bones, plants also need UV-B.
A lot of the sun's UV-B light is filtered by our atmosphere, only a little gets through to earth's surface.
Higher and prolonged exposure to radiation of short wavelength (275-290nm) UV-B closer to UV-C is what gives you sun burn and may increase the risk of skin cancer
Finally UV-C light, that's the harmful type, the type that will destroy DNA and also fungi and germs, you can use it to sterilize surfaces.
UV-C light is very short wave length (100-275nm) and is mostly filtered out by our atmosphere.
You need specialized lamps with filters to produce UV-C light and put it directly onto a subject because oxygen molecules in the air will absorb most UV wave length shorter than 200nm.
Killing/sterilizing anything with UV-C light is normally done in a 99% nitrogen or a vacuum environment.
I have yet to see any animal killed by UV-A light from the average toy UV torches and/or black light bulbs/tubes available on the consumer market.
If any participant of this thread would like to take the scientific approach to treatment of mycosis, then please let them refer to what type of UV light or rather the wavelength they are using if possible.
Sorry for the long story, just trying to make things clear.
Just stating 'UV light' doesn't cut it.
That's like saying "warm/hot water kills humans".
We all can imagine that it depends on the temperature of that water to determine if it's harmful or not, same goes for UV wavelength and strength.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
UV light being harmful or not depends on the wavelength and strength of the UV light. UV light has a pretty broad spectrum from 10 to 400 nm. (Nanometer)
The UV light you, me and average Joe come across is 'long wave' UV (310-400nm) which is not harmful.
All the 'black light' bulbs and tubes found in bar/dancing/disco from the 80's/90's onward is long wave UV, the UV torches flashlights we all buy on Amazon/Ebay are long wave UV.
Those are the long wave UV lights that make our scorpions light up and those wavelengths are pretty harmless and also around us every day within sun/day light.
My scorpions don't like the UV torch or any other bright light. When I suddenly receive a bright light in my face I also tend to look away, but it's not harmful to me or scorpions.
Long wave length UV described above is referred to as 'UV-A', it's what is mostly in sunlight here on earth's surface because our atmosphere filters out most of the UV-B
and practically all UV-C light. Normal sun light contains about 3% UV-A + UV-B light.
On a nice clear summer day earth's surface receives about 1000Watt/M² of sun light, 3% of that is UV-A and UV-B.
That means you and me receive the blast of a 30W/M² UV lamp during the entire summer day, even though we won't notice it.
UV-B is a bit shorter wave length (275-310nm). Most critter keepers know about the UV-B bulbs/tubes we put on our pet bearded dragons etc. which is also not harmful.
In fact, UV-B light within natural sunlight helps boned creatures like bearded dragons and humans to create vitamin-D which in turn is good for our bones, plants also need UV-B.
A lot of the sun's UV-B light is filtered by our atmosphere, only a little gets through to earth's surface.
Higher and prolonged exposure to radiation of short wavelength (275-290nm) UV-B closer to UV-C is what gives you sun burn and may increase the risk of skin cancer
Finally UV-C light, that's the harmful type, the type that will destroy DNA and also fungi and germs, you can use it to sterilize surfaces.
UV-C light is very short wave length (100-275nm) and is mostly filtered out by our atmosphere.
You need specialized lamps with filters to produce UV-C light and put it directly onto a subject because oxygen molecules in the air will absorb most UV wave length shorter than 200nm.
Killing/sterilizing anything with UV-C light is normally done in a 99% nitrogen or a vacuum environment.
I have yet to see any animal killed by UV-A light from the average toy UV torches and/or black light bulbs/tubes available on the consumer market.
If any participant of this thread would like to take the scientific approach to treatment of mycosis, then please let them refer to what type of UV light or rather the wavelength they are using if possible.
We all can imagine that it depends on the temperature of that water to determine if it's harmful or not, same goes for UV wavelength and strength.
wow, this is fascinating! So, it maybe won't harm the scorpions to have them exposed to the UV-A light for half an hour a day. Still a little worried though, that it might make them go blind or something, because the median eyes (on top of the head) seem to be more sensitive to UV light, as they "see" into that light wave length.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
My local petstore keeps a permanent fixture on their Heterometrus petersii. Although considering everything else UV would be the least of their worries. That place is terrible.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I’m not sure of the specifics of my fixture. It’s long wave I’d say based off what you said